GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Running Issue when cold

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Edge76
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Edge76

Running Issue when cold  Empty
PostSubject: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:07 am

Hi all. Not sure if anyone can help. I bought a 2010 Stelvio 1200 a month back it's been rollered and ran fine but I decided to strip bodywork off and clean and sort some bits plus rear shock linkage and a few other bits. I removed fuel tank and bodywork and battery. All back together and I have checked the plugs and connectors over and over. Bike will start but takes a bit of cranking once it starts it's lumpy and if I try and open the throttle it will pop and bang.
If I leave it to get warm 6 or 7 mins it then runs perfectly!
Any help gratefully received as meant to be going to Germany on the bike in a couple of weeks 🙄
Thanks.

Edge76 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 am

Is the stepper working?
Back to top Go down
Edge76
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Edge76

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:35 am

Hi Pete
So over the weekend I went through some bits to try and eliminate stuff. So on Guzzi Diag initially the stepper motor was showing me readings but didnt seem to change much plus when running if I started and stopped stepper on Diag it didnt seem to affect tickover? When I turn ignition on it make a short buzz and when I turn off I get a long noise as if it is working? I have swapped out the temp sensor in case it was faulty but it was reading ok via diag as well so probably not that.

Edge76 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 am

OK, if the plug caps are not arcing it would seem to be definitely temp related but I would do two easy checks.

1.) Run a compression test on each cylinder. Throttle fully open, just disconnect the coils, (This will give a service warning but that is normal.) and crank it over for five seconds. DO NOT leave the other coil connected! You should get a figure of around 175PSI both sides. If one side or the other is much higher than the other it is likely to be....

2.) Check the cam timing.
Back to top Go down
Edge76
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Edge76

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:22 pm

Thanks will check these later. Is there also a way to bypass the stepper to rule the stepper out?

Edge76 likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:41 pm

No.

As I've mentioned, plugging the inlet to the stepper is the best way to test if it either partially blocked or leaking somewhere.

If it's partially blocked, then plugging the inlet will effectively disable it. If it's leaking, there'll be no change.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Edge76
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Edge76

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:36 am

I checked the comp and timing last night all good. Comp 180psi , I cleaned stepper out with fuel cleaner and refitted. I will try again tonight and block inlet to see what the outcome is. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Edge76
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Edge76

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
So I blocked the stepper and it made it worse. I've also fitted a new Bosch equivalent temp sensor just in case. What I have noticed it literally only lasts about a minute or two know. But where I thought it was running perfect when hot ! Well it sounds great blipping the throttle and at idle but if I hold it at 3500-4000 rpm you can hear it slightly popping and missing not smooth. I took some shots from Guzzi Diag? . Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running Issue when cold    Running Issue when cold  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Running Issue when cold
Page 1 of 1