12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Real bikes vs Toy bikes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andy in NZ
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:52 pm

I love motorcycle magazines. Always read them in shops and ocassionally buy them.
The sad part is they are not printed in black and white anymore, and there is now no scope for the budding artist or ADHD sufferer to fill in their time adding inappropriate colour. So you are left with nothing to do except to read the words they print.
Some of the finest motorcycle writers IMHO include Kevin Cameron, John Robinson, Vic Willoughby, Jim Scaysbrook et al. But for narrative, its hard to put down anything written by Peter Eagen.
Back in Cycle World in 1998, and repeated in the book "Leanings 2", he mooted that he only had 1 real bike, a Harley Road King, and 3 toys, 2 Ducs and a 500 Triumph. The Harley was his daily ride and do-all-things ride.
He goes on to state that Guzzis are 100% real bikes. (preaching to the converted here), and his favourite bikes were the toys. Is this an oxymoron for us?

So where does your GRiSO sit? Is it a real bike or a toy bike?
Riddle me that.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 pm

I don't care what anyone thinks about my GRiSO.

GRiSO speaks to me. Everything else is just white noise.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:03 pm

I have to say I find it odd that sometimes people seem to almost need to justify their choices of things like motorbikes and seem to, I don't know? Take comfort maybe in the fact that their choice has got some sort of 'Stamp of approval' from a magazine or a journalist or whoever.

Why does it matter? I like my bikes because they appeal to me, neither of them are particularly commonplace and if one was to do an objective assessment of their virtues and failings and compare them to other machines they probably wouldn't rate particularly highly. The thing is motorbikes are a very subjective choice. There is lots of talk about choosing with your heart rather than your head and I think for most people this is true.

As for magazine reviews? Well I haven't bought a bike rag regularly for thirty years or more but every time I do pick one up I usually find a load of inaccurate, trite, garbage which bears an uncanny relationship with regard to its positive or negative nature to the amount of advertising a manufacturer or shop has paid for in the journal in question!

Quite frankly I think they are non objective providers of insufferable wank and the 'Joirnalists' are without a doubt among the most arrogant, selfish and painful fucktards I've ever had the misfortune to cross paths with. I wouldn't wipe my arse with their 'Oppinions' for fear of getting a STD!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 pm

The one journalist that I had great respect for and enjoyed reading his opinions was the late Kevin Ash a British independent journalist that was killed last year while test riding the new water cooled BMW gs,

I got the feeling that he wasn't bought off by the big manufacturers and gave a very honest opinion and loved all things two wheeled, He was a real petrol head in general!

I might be a bit biased as he stated in an interview with "BIKEEXIF.com" that the GRiSO was the most beautiful production bike ever built in his opinion. I tried attaching the link to the article below,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I dont care but for me it's a Real Bike and I kind of like it that a lot of people dont get if!
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:37 pm

The forum/website exists for the sole reason that the Moto Guzzi GRiSO stirs people. It's doesn't whisper in everyone's ear, but it smacks some of us right upside the head.

I love the GRiSO, ever since I first laid eyes on one back in 2005 (a magazine article no less) the mighty GRiSO had me in his clutches. A real bike, a toy, actually both, and for every reason!

The GRiSO picks his rider...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Toy bike??
I was a daily rider for ten years. I don't understand toy bikes.
My GRiSO ROCKS as hard as I do.

DM
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:11 pm

DO NOT! Believe magazine of any kind, because the writers think they're so cool but in truth, they couldn't find their own arsehole if they had their fingers stuck in it and second, bikes are too subjective to rely on anyone else impressions.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:59 pm

I used to buy Two Wheels religiously to read Mr. Smith. May he rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Found most motoring journalists work for large publishing companies, so they write for all the Women's Monthly's as well. Had a big shit fight with editors of all Aussie bike mags coz they would only print "claimed dry weights".

And because some fucktard back in the late 70's, printed that Guzzi's pull to the right on acceleration and then pull to the left when you back off, all the retarded journalists since have repeated this theory. I get asked frequently about this "pulling" phenomenon from my customers.

Haven't bought a magazine in years, see a captivating cover occasionally, flip it open, Yep! Same 'ol shit.

People like Mr Smith, Mr Cockburn and Mr Ash were first and foremost "tappet heads", they just had a secondary ability as word smiths, such as our own Mr Roper.

Back on topic;
Bella is a real bike, no garage princesses here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:09 am

Guzzi Cat wrote:
The one journalist that I had great respect for and enjoyed reading his opinions was the late Kevin Ash a British independent journalist that was killed last year while test riding the new water cooled BMW gs!

Kevin was known to be a true enthusiast, and all round good egg.
He didn't mince his words, and was never afraid to court controversy.
I remember one article he wrote in MCN, where he condemned people who advocated the wearing of full CE approved safety gear with dayglo at all times on a bike.
I'm sure you know the one's I'm talking about.
he comprehensively trashed these self appointed safety police who feel it is their duty to dictate to others what their acceptable level of risk should be, pointing out that maybe we shouldn't allow people to go out in their vintage cars, because they lack safety features like air bags and safety cages.
Boy did he open a can of worms with that one.
I miss KA
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:21 am

I read a lot of Kevin Ash and respected his skills but mostly I found Peter Egan's ramblings match my particular feel for motorcycling. He bridges the gap perfectly between yesterday, today and tomorrow. Egan does not endorse or recommend any particular brand. He is a story teller of the highest magnitude.
Back on point, my toy bike for many years was a 1972 Triumph Daytona 500. Beautiful British style, lousy electrics and leaked at every opportunity. It was a Sunday morning coffee getter, no  more. I also had a long term VFR for real every day riding.
I have had had a couple of Thruxtons, carb and efi and a Scrambler from Hinckley, they are about as close to toy bikes as I care to get. I still subscribe to a couple of bike magazines if for nothing more than to view the pretty pictures. My GRiSO is as real as it gets for me.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 am

I have little real reference for comparing the actual experience of getting/owning a motorcycle and comparing it to magazine reviews.
Just one actually.
I bought a 1999 Laverda 750S Silver/Orange half fairing.
THEN I read the moto-journals revieww. And the ride descriptions were pretty accurate. The journo boys correctly described it's foibles and short-comings.
So I am content to use magazine reviews for deciding how the bike feels and how I want to live with the bikes personality. I am not a hot enough rider to want or need race track refugees.
When the journo's start describing "good comfort" and "easy to live with" I am there. Smile

DM
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:59 pm

GRiSO is the REAL toy imo. Can't say there is anything I would rather own bike wise and I can't see ever selling it. It's pretty special.

We have the best of both worlds I think.

Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:02 pm

It's the toy I can ride every day. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:25 pm

Yeah - I sometimes think I should move south so I can ride almost everyday all year too!

Lucky bastard DM Wink

Back to top Go down
Spaceknight
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:03 am

Pretty much a real motorcycle under 4500 rpm. A great toy above 6000 bounce
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 pm

My GRiSO will be a toy bike.
It will only go out on certain days, weather permitting.
This role is currently occupied by my Yamaha VMAX, which will be exchanged for the GRiSO later this week.
I have a 20 year old BMW that soaks up most of the every day mileage, including commuting, touring, and general duties.
I do like to have a "special" bike, that I can fettle, polish, and genrally dote over, although this Sept, I will be riding down to Mandello for the Factroy open house weekend.
Looks like fun.
Back to top Go down
garyclem
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:54 am

Pete Roper wrote:
............ I usually find a load of inaccurate, trite, garbage which bears an uncanny relationship with regard to its positive or negative nature to the amount of advertising a manufacturer or shop has paid for in the journal in question!

Quite frankly I think they are non objective providers of insufferable wank and .................

Pete

............. just like this ?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Real bikes vs Toy bikes   Today at 1:54 am

Back to top Go down

Real bikes vs Toy bikes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-