12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...
 
HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 GRiSO Cafe Racer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 3974
Join date : 2013-09-30

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:34 pm

Om mani padme hum
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo


Posts : 1699
Join date : 2014-05-22
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:53 pm

Careful with the tantric bit Pete, that's my whole life. Got to find a spare hour and a half tonight, just so I can watch 60 Minutes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio


Posts : 502
Join date : 2014-06-05

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:01 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

From my perspective here in Long Beach CA, the cafe racer styling trend has been a response to the tired Jap sportbike culture and even more tired harley/custom chopper craze. Inasmuch as it represents a return to simple classic old-fashioned motorbikes, I have found it most welcome. For me this is closely tied to what makes the GRiSO so special. GRiSO is the perfect marriage of classic clean styling and just enough modern technology. It is the antidote to gobs of plastic cladding, knucklehead ape-bars, elongated front ends, and steel tractor seats on springs. It seems that any attempt at improving the GRiSO styling is just gilding the lilly. Or in some cases, taking a dump on the lilly.

It's unfortunate that retro/cafe motorbikes seem to have become mixed up in the minds of many with the concurrent and annoying hipster trend. Most of the hipsters I know are too sissified and politically concerned to ride anything faster or more carbon producing than a bicycle. I for one will be glad to see the hipster trend pass, but I rather hope that old-fashioned motorbikes stick around indefinitely. I'd rather share the road with resurrected CB750s than ear-bleeding choppers or flip-flop wearing GSXr monkeys sporting mohawk helmets.

It all makes me curious how the motorbike culture in Australia compares with our crazy spectacle here. I hope to get over there and see for myself one of these days.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo


Posts : 1699
Join date : 2014-05-22
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:41 am

I must spend too much time in my shed, alone.
Can somebody draw me a picture with a red crayon, of one of these hipster cretons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco


Posts : 194
Join date : 2014-03-25

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 am

My last, honest, last, café bike. I bought my 2nd Thruxton back in 2013 an efi mode,l did all the obligatory mods and it was still a dog. The GRiSO gives me the naked brutish ride I have been looking for since I dreamed of a owning 750 Royal Enfield back in the 60's.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1015
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 am

LBC Tenni wrote:


..............From my perspective here in Long Beach CA, the cafe racer styling trend has been a response to the tired Jap sportbike culture and even more tired harley/custom chopper craze.....

That's exactly the way I see it too...
Despite that, I tend to agree with most in the fact that it's a shame to ruin a good modern bike by chopping stuff off and add crap
To me, the Cafe look is incomplete (always has been) with no rear fender, side covers and exposed wiring and that gets worse with modern bikes.
But, that can be pulled together nicely still if one decide to work on those details in order to get a good flow going.

I did kinda execute that theme on my 07 GRiSO with a retro fairing only because the fairing I wanted is no longer produced.
In the end, while all my friends love the look, I'm still not sold on it completely just because the GRiSO has it nailed in the look department.
Here, you guys can judge for yourselves if it improves the look or not...


[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 3782
Join date : 2013-05-29
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:30 am

It doesn't 'Do it' for me but it probably makes the bike a lot more pleasant to ride on longer runs.

As for changing and adapting things? I'm all for it! It just has to be done well and the results should be an improvement or at least a well engineered experiment rather than simply being a poor attempt to follow a formula.

If you want two perfect examples of what I mean there are two threads running on WG. The first is what has become Chuck's thread on his adaptation of a drone motor to power a Lario. This is brilliant, entertaining, well executed and required intelligence and skill. Things that Chuck has in spades.

On the other side of the coin there is a follow-on thread from an earlier one where some bloke in New York had bought a crashed V7 stone, ostensibly for his girlfriend which he was going to 'Cafe' by puting shorty pipes on and replacing the broken bits, (It had been crashed.) with fleabay crap to meet the necessary styling cues for this sort of bike. Three months on, after having made it a seat and done a bit of graphic design to produce new faces for the guages the poor little thing has been on-sold to somebody else. No explanation given but apparently the throttlebody/controller came in a bag along with a host of other bits and bobs and the bike is a definite non runner with no history of what has been fucked around with.

And therein lies the rub! The young man in question obviously had absolutely no idea what he was doing but "Hey, it's a motorbike! How hard can it be?" And it turns out the answer is "A lot harder than you thought it would be!" End result? A fine little bike, not to mention a lot of raw materials and technology, turns into a pile of junk! What a waste and completely devoid of any merit. All one can hope is that he'll learn from the experience and not make the same sort of silly mistake again.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1015
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:19 am

Pete Roper wrote:
It doesn't 'Do it' for me but it probably makes the bike a lot more pleasant to ride on longer runs.
Pete

It does make it easier on long runs for sure but only because, to make it functional, I made a bracket that raised (about 4") and moved the head light forward a bit.
The fairing is a really cheap universal one that I got from a local cycle shop and in 2 minutes time, I can put the GRiSO back to stock so no hurt...


I'll go to the WG and check out creation and horror. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio


Posts : 121
Join date : 2014-08-22

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:57 am

Pete Roper wrote:

And therein lies the rub! The young man in question obviously had absolutely no idea what he was doing but "Hey, it's a motorbike! How hard can it be?" And it turns out the answer is "A lot harder than you thought it would be!" End result? A fine little bike, not to mention a lot of raw materials and technology, turns into a pile of junk! What a waste and completely devoid of any merit. All one can hope is that he'll learn from the experience and not make the same sort of silly mistake again.

Pete

Therein lies the rub to buying almost any used motorcycle. Everyone thinks they're a mechanic. You never know what you are buying.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo


Posts : 1699
Join date : 2014-05-22
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Moto Guzzi, making mechanics out of riders since 1921.
(obviously, not always successfully)
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 3782
Join date : 2013-05-29
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:04 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:


It all makes me curious how the motorbike culture in Australia compares with our crazy spectacle here. I hope to get over there and see for myself one of these days.

This is a very good question. Like anything though 'It depends'!

In most major cities there are 'Gathering spots' where various sub-groups tend to gravitate to. Canberra is a bit different because despite being the Capital it is a small city of only some 360,000 or thereabouts. Bungendore is a very popular weekend destination for Gay Pirates, of which there is a large contingent, and also the 'Adventure' bike crowd. This second is really laughable as Bungendore is only 40 Km from Canberra and the roads are all sealed yet it seems that to get here you either need a huge 'Cruiser' or something like a kitted out GS/Multistrada/Capponord etc.

There are also other local roads where the fast boys and girls go and these are best avoided as they tend to be heavily policed crashfests.

I think at the end of the day I'd say that both countries are similar, but different. I have never seen huge packs of squids squidding on freeways here though and I have in LA. Their behavior is simply insane and they wouldn't get away with it here.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1015
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Squid squidding don't get away with that crap here in FL.
They might pull it off once but the popo will be looking for them and eventually get nailed.
As it stands, if a cop sees you pulling a simple wheelie in Florida, they'll arrest you on the spot and confiscate your bike.
That is, if they catch you...
Most people doing wheelies here, have bullshit tags and the bikes are most likely stolen in the first place.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1163
Join date : 2013-11-26
Age : 53

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Hey Grisonut, I am pretty impressed with your fairing.
That looks a lot better than I would have thought.
I still want something with flares that blow air away from hands tho.........
I will continue ruminating.

DM
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1015
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:07 am

Well thanks DM.

Errrrrrh... as far as your aforementioned fairing, what ever you find it will look like shit IMO.
Only Mr. Ropper is allowed to do this on zee GRiSO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso


Posts : 91
Join date : 2015-01-23

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 pm

I see this whole café racer, ratbike craze as a back lash against the stupid high tech race war that's going on with bikes at the moment.
Who can create the most buttons to play with.
You know the stuff.
Idiot, er sorry, I mean power modes seem to be the latest de rigour
Dunno about you, but I have a complex computer on board called a brain.
It takes in all relevant information, such as road conditions, weather, traffic, and instantly sends signals to my right hand which responds with the optimum throttle openings for those prevaialing conditions.
You have to ask yourself, if a rider needs to press a button on order to keep an over zealous throttle hand in check, should they be on a bike at all.
Anyway, I digress.
The Café racer is a style statement to be sure, but are we saying that the GRiSO is not.
Kevin Ash, stated in his review, that it was the biking equivalent of an Armani suit, and that's how a lot of people see us Italian bike riders.
Poseurs, so why is that Guzzi owners see themselves as the Amish of the biking world.
That's always puzzled me.
There is nothing wrong with a bit of flair, and individualism.
It's something biking has largely lost over the decades, thanks to the manufacturers deliberately engineering in this, follow the herd, mentality, in order to keep us from ever being satisfied with what we have.
I'm over the moon that people are now seeing them for what they really are, and rebelling against it by doing their own thing, and I hope that this scene grows, because eventually the manufacturers will take not, and start building more bikes for the real world.
OK so a Café Racer might not be the ideal tool for a long haul, but then neither is a Guzzi Sport 1100, but that doesn't stop it from being a great motorcycle, (or at least I thought it was when I borrowed on holiday, even though I could only manage 20 or so miles at a time)
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio


Posts : 890
Join date : 2013-05-29
Age : 57

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:33 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Street. Any chance you could do me a photoshop of a GRiSO, it must have the stock tank with a Roper "crass and vulgar" chrome finish.
Trying to picture if an MGS-01 fairing could be made to blend in so it and the GRiSO side wings are one. Like a modern version of the old 900SS half fairing.

Ghezzi,

That's a bit beyond my skill set I'm afraid. I'm really just a clever cutter and paster, don't actually have the ability to draw in PhotoShop. It's an interesting idea and I appreciate your asking, but no, no can do.  No  Best I can offer is this crass and vulgar alternative. I could cut and paste this into a picture of Venice Beach in SoCal, but really, what would that accomplish?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino


Posts : 238
Join date : 2014-12-04

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:28 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
I see this whole café racer, ratbike craze as a back lash against the stupid high tech race war that's going on with bikes at the moment.
Who can create the most buttons to play with.
You know the stuff.
Idiot, er sorry, I mean power modes seem to be the latest de rigour
Dunno about you, but I have a complex computer on board called a brain.
It takes in all relevant information, such as road conditions, weather, traffic, and instantly sends signals to my right hand which responds with the optimum throttle openings for those prevaialing conditions.
You have to ask yourself, if a rider needs to press a button on order to keep an over zealous throttle hand in check, should they be on a bike at all.
Anyway, I digress.
The Café racer is a style statement to be sure, but are we saying that the GRiSO is not.
Kevin Ash, stated in his review, that it was the biking equivalent of an Armani suit, and that's how a lot of people see us Italian bike riders.
Poseurs, so why is that Guzzi owners see themselves as the Amish of the biking world.
That's always puzzled me.
There is nothing wrong with a bit of flair, and individualism.
It's something biking has largely lost over the decades, thanks to the manufacturers deliberately engineering in this, follow the herd, mentality, in order to keep us from ever being satisfied with what we have.
I'm over the moon that people are now seeing them for what they really are, and rebelling against it by doing their own thing, and I hope that this scene grows, because eventually the manufacturers will take not, and start building more bikes for the real world.
OK so a Café Racer might not be the ideal tool for a long haul, but then neither is a Guzzi Sport 1100, but that doesn't stop it from being a great motorcycle, (or at least I thought it was when I borrowed on holiday, even though I could only manage 20 or so miles at a time)

I must agree with you on some points you make. But, you've got to ask some questions. Should Valentino be riding? Surely his bike has some buttons. If your brain is so complex, can it run fuel injection? Some people want the latest and greatest, isn't it possible that it includes buttons and electronics so they can brag about it? Or, some people may have less complex brains and all those useless electronics might give them a fighting chance in controlling 200 hp of ridiculousness. Maybe they should stick to bicycles? Etc
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio


Posts : 556
Join date : 2014-06-21

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:29 am

bikesnbones wrote:
so why is that Guzzi owners see themselves as the Amish of the biking world.

Bwahahaha
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1905
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:20 pm

tocino wrote:
bikesnbones wrote:
so why is that Guzzi owners see themselves as the Amish of the biking world.

Bwahahaha

Ain't that the truth.  Not too much different...

GuzzistaAmish
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The only difference seems to be the color of the suspenders...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso


Posts : 91
Join date : 2015-01-23

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:22 pm

The Saint wrote:

I must agree with you on some points you make. But, you've got to ask some questions. Should Valentino be riding? Surely his bike has some buttons. If your brain is so complex, can it run fuel injection? Some people want the latest and greatest, isn't it possible that it includes buttons and electronics so they can brag about it? Or, some people may have less complex brains and all those useless electronics might give them a fighting chance in controlling 200 hp of ridiculousness. Maybe they should stick to bicycles?  Etc

Fuel injection is not a rider aid.
It's not something that takes over because the rider is incapable of making safety based decisions.
I only speak for myself here, but if I'm out and it's raining hard, I just back off the throttle.
I don't need to press a button to get the bike to do it for me.
The old adage applies here, which is "the throttle goes both ways"

Steak wrote:

GuzzistaAmish
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The only difference seems to be the color of the suspenders...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato


Posts : 477
Join date : 2014-04-10
Age : 62

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:41 pm

I have ridden the bikes with all the high tech farkles
in my case a Multistrada 1200..
The tech used in the suspension is extraordinary and the way you can tune the bike to suit your skill level is very impressive ..pot holes and smooth tarmac can become nearly the same .
The power modes are ok but I did choose to leave it in sport mode.
The slipper clutch came in handy only twice and I think for the most part I would never use it .
I would say that  higher performance levels are obtainable with the farkles provided for any rider experienced or not ... if you haven't tried one.. yeah cant knock em .

I however still prefer to tune my current bikes to my riding and make do, I do not think that makes me a better rider, just one that enjoys a motorcycle for what it is and offers to me.
The GRiSO exemplifies that motorcycle .
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo


Posts : 1699
Join date : 2014-05-22
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:06 pm

I was always against electro farkles until my latest ute (light truck). Previous version had nothing except air con and power steering. Local laws force me to use light truck tyres with specific load carrying capacity, cannot use sport type car tyres with elevated grip levels. Dry weather is fine but in the wet wheels would lock up intermittently. Current ute has ABS, TC, LSD (not the acid type) etc and all I do is steer, relaxing but boring.

With the bike I prefer to use high end tyres and modify suspension/brakes to suit my feel and style, then we become one and adapt to the road/weather conditions together. I think of it like a good woman you have chosen for a life partner. Sure the latest (youngest) model on the block with all the plastic enhancements and fancy moves would be great for a quick ride, but she will never be one with you on the long road of life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso


Posts : 91
Join date : 2015-01-23

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 pm

I was only referring to power modes


keenerkeen07 wrote:
The power modes are ok but I did choose to leave it in sport mode.

Exactly.

As you say, power modes are not something a competent rider should need.
If you disagree, ask yourself if you feel your GRiSO is a lesser bike for not having this feature.
If it is, then why haven't you rushed out to buy something that does have it.
Back to top Go down
Tod.
Tanabuso
Tanabuso


Posts : 69
Join date : 2015-01-29

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:15 am

All this electrickery mode stuf has come a bit late in life for me. It's not that I'm stupid or am reluctant to embrace it, it's just that I ride a bike for the same reason a dog sticks his head outa the car window. I like it raw, and as mentioned earlier, the throttle goes both ways, with only a nut connecting it to the back wheel. Yes, there are the safety aspects of ABS, traction control etc. and I'm sure I wouldn't be wishing I had it when I've overlooked it and I'm sliding on my arse, I'd be wishing I hadn't gone so fast and hoping I've got clean underwear when they drag me off to A+E. I'm not against new fangled stuff, it's just refineing motorcycling a bit to much for me. As said earlier. I like my bikes a bit raw. That's why I fell in love with the GRiSO. pirat
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso


Posts : 91
Join date : 2015-01-23

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:32 am

Tod. wrote:
All this electrickery mode stuf has come a bit late in life for me. It's not that I'm stupid or am reluctant to embrace it, it's just that I ride a bike for the same reason a dog sticks his head outa the car window. I like it raw, and as mentioned earlier, the throttle goes both ways, with only a nut connecting it to the back wheel. Yes, there are the safety aspects of ABS, traction control etc. and I'm sure I wouldn't be wishing I had it when I've overlooked it and I'm sliding on my arse, I'd be wishing I hadn't gone so fast and hoping I've got clean underwear when they drag me off to A+E. I'm not against new fangled stuff, it's just refineing motorcycling a bit to much for me. As said earlier. I like my bikes a bit raw. That's why I fell in love with the GRiSO. pirat

It's not that I'm against advances in technology.
I just think that the latest fad, POWER MODES, are a gimmick.
Surely a competent rider knows when it's safe to press on, and when it's better to back off.
Perhaps someone could explain why it's necessary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Cafe Racer   Today at 1:53 am

Back to top Go down
 
GRiSO Cafe Racer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: