GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Empty
PostSubject: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:44 pm

My 2009 GRiSO 1200 has only done a couple thousand miles and is running just fine. With so few miles over its 5 years or so of existence it has no dealer service history. When I bought it 2 years ago with about 1K miles I changed the oil (yes, I used the right stuff) and filter.

If it suffers the dreaded cam follower problem, is it much of a problem to fix it myself? Obviously I'd have to buy new followers but would the cams be OK? Is it easy to set the valve timing on rebuilding the top ends?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Nope. Your cam will be toasted as well, even if you can see any visual damage beside, why take the chance.
Depending on how long you run the engine once the tappets shit the bed, you don't need to mess with the valves and it's easy to replace if you decide to go with the same OEM flat tappet cam set-up.
But why do that? The upgrade roller kit (Kit C) is a sure fix.
You'll have to pull the the heads though, to shim the valves...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:33 am

True, but mine's an early 1200 and I understand fitting the roller kit is a bit complex? I'm quite good with the spanners, but I think Pete said on here fitting a roller kit to an early engine ain't easy. And isn't it expensive?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:56 am

Hrrrrr. Look, fitting a roller conversion isn't what I'd call complex but it does involve taking stuff to bits and some procedures that require care and understanding of how stuff works.

A 2009 bike will require removal of the heads to shim the inlet valve springs for more preload. The removal of the valves and installation of the shims will mean a trip to a head shop or engine rebuilder if you don't have the tools to do it but the cost shouldn't be exorbitant.

The kits are pricey. No way around that but they do seem to have sorted the problem that some flat tappet bikes suffer from.

Look, I really can't offer advice on whether its a job you are capable of because I dont know you or your skill level but I have been burnt in the past by allowing people who think they have the skills to perform a task then fucking it up and blaming me. To me? It's a simple task. Some people strip oil drain and spark plugs, (Shrug?)

As for price? A 'C' kit install is about 8 hours work. I charge a hunnert bux an hour. Kit price depends.

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 am

Thanks Pete. I've changed valves before (not on a GRiSO, but hey, a valve is a valve) and have the kit to do it. I find these jobs are all 'do-able' if you have the requisite manuals for timing stuff up etc on re-assembly.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:17 am

Timing is explained clearly in the manual but I had a bloke call me from Tasmania because the dealer down there had told him that they had to strip the engine completely to do the swap as they had to put their own 'Timing Marks' on things because the factory doesn't? Cool

Shaved apes. Oncoming aneurism alert!!!

Pete
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:48 am

Pete Roper wrote:
they had to put their own 'Timing Marks' on things

Could it be these are the marks they meant? $$$$$

Smile
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 am

For fuk sake. Don't touch it till it's broke. Look at it this way, at the rate you're going, it will take you 124 years to reach Pete's mileage. His flat slapper is still breathing after 50k miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?   Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fixing a cam follower problem. How difficult?
Page 1 of 1