12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Some people are all class.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:46 am

A few years ago I designed and manufactured a baffle plate for the V11 series bikes, they have been a slow and steady seller and I didn't make a lot of money on them but they did prevent the motors torching their big ends.

Well I got an enquiry about one from New Zealand a few days ago so I organized the gaskets and plate and gave the bloke a quote only to be told that he had decided to buy from a mob in the UK because they were a few dollars cheaper. A quick visit to their website reveals that 'Their' plate is in fact an identical copy of mine, even down to the shape of the dipstick hole. I don't even get a Guernsey for the design. I wonder if I could sue them for theft of intellectual property?

This sort of shit really doesn't make a bloke feel like giving out help and advice.....

Pete
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:24 am

My wife manages a global law firm that among other disciplines, specializes in Intellectual Property law. I asked her this morning about your predicament and she mentioned this: If your designs and manufacturing data are dated and recorded with a third party and you have actual damages, wages or lost revenue you may be able to recover some monies. However recovery is an expensive process, at least in the U.S. and it generally requires the retention of an attorney who if successful, will take a goodly share of your recovered monies.....

Take my advice for what it's worth. You obviously have a great deal of intellectual property, knowhow and skills. Start documenting everything you produce. It a sad state of affairs when people would rather steal someone's idea and produce a product rather than shed their own blood, sweat and tears to bring a product to market.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:31 am

The stupid thing is if they'd had the decency to contact me and say "Great idea, can we sell 'em and we'll bung you ten bux for every one we sell." I'd of been more than happy. The thing is they know it's not worth me pursuing it legally so they thought they'd just steal it. The world is full of cunts.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:56 am

Yes that would have been the ethical move for them, doesn't happen much anymore. I read a lot of your post where you give freely of your expertise. I would imagine that this is not the first time one of your original ideas was somehow stolen or borrowed, just maybe the first time you found out. Maybe you need your own blog where you could legally protect your "Brand," your ideas and any products you decide to produce. Bottom line is you are a storehouse of relevant information and I appreciate your willingness to share with the board.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:51 am

Many share your sentiment Enzo, Pete's always been a cheerful giver. It's the takers that make him grumpy...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:10 am

Shameful, Pete.  No, more.  Contemptible.   Evil or Very Mad

FWIW, while trade dress protection, etc., is not my strength -- still wondering what is!  Very Happy -- I have had a bit of practical experience with it as a lawyer and layman.  Based on that, I concur with what Enzo's wife said about the fiscal futility of pursuing anything formal.  We can discuss over a brew sometime some other options.   pirat

I am, btw, getting on my boots so I can trudge down through the snow to the Moto Grappa to see if I can find that Saddleman or whatever it's called.

Bill
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:17 pm

It is more blessed to give than to receive .............................
Does that still apply to a black eye and a kick in the nuts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Maybe some public shaming on the boards? Let people know who the company is and ask that they specifically not buy anything from them.
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

I bought a sloppage plate for my scurra years ago.
I do remember they wernt much money, considering Pete had created and manufactured the item.
So some fucker thought hey il take a piece of that!!
All I can say is fuck them.
Greedy bastard..
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 pm

ghezzi wrote:
It is more blessed to give than to receive .............................
Does that still apply to a black eye and a kick in the nuts?

Hahahahah...
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:38 pm

It's too late now Pete.  However, next time you come with something innovative I can introduce you to my brother - the tame patent attorney.Smile
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm

God damn cunts. Pete, the worst thing you can do is let it get to you, but simply learn from it. Righteousness is a virtue that not many people have.
Back to top Go down
opc
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Bastiches! A pox on their houses!

Don't let the buttheads get you down, Pete. Good vibes to you!
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Pete,

Thread title should be, "Some people are Cocksuckers." Discovered a similar rip-off recently with an alternator bracket that Bob Nolan originally came up with for the old loop frame Eldos and Ambos and that Greg Field helped him take to the next level by creating a simple, reliable, and easy to install kit. When Bob could no longer fabricate the brackets, Greg came to me and we updated the design and produced a limited number of them that Greg could market through his various connections. It's never been a big money maker and Bob and Greg never patented the design, but there are a lot of these in service and they work. So now there's some peckerwood selling a knock-off on flea-bay for double the money, half the elegance, and a tenth the effort and ingenuity that it took to create the original. Fuckhead!

We feel your pain brother. On three, everybody fart on the stealing BASTARDS!
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:45 am

I guess there's a lot more of this going on that we realize.

My father designed a new Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) for small aircraft years ago. He was contacted by a company to produce them and he thought he might make a few bucks. They ripped off his design and he never saw squat. I guess you should patent the design, but most of us don't know where to start and those invention company you see on TV are a huge ripoff.
Back to top Go down
opc
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:01 am

Pokeyjoe, patent attorneys are not hard to find.

I'm not an expert/lawyer, but it is my understanding that even if you don't expect a patent will be granted or that you do not have the resources to bring it to market, filing for patent establishes a documented history for your design.  The legalese, I believe, is "prior art".  This means that you have proof you originated the design and even if you don't make money off it, no one else can claim it as theirs.  This is not guaranteed protection.  Someone could come up with a similar design completely independently, but if they try to patent it any patent search would turn up your "prior art".
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:12 am

This is correct.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 am

My father was a car designer and has told me many a story about other companies trying to steal his designs.

Theft is theft no matter how you dress it up. Pretty shitty thing to do to someone who has had the initial inspiration.

Last edited by Bluesun9 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:24 pm

"There is nothing new under the sun" (Solomon), just the first to claim it.
Like after someone tried to have BST manufacture wheels for Guzzi so he could resell them and BST wouldn't do it. Then I said I would look at converting some of the BST product to fit and was told it can't be done. And BST said "DON'T DO IT". Well just like a rebellious pre-pubescent ADHD brat, I said, "Fuck you" and I did it. Now that "someone" has asked for drawings and pictures just to see how I did it. Nah mate.

The wheel was already invented thousands of years ago, I just adapted it to suit my needs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:55 pm

ghezzi wrote:
"There is nothing new under the sun" (Solomon), just the first to claim it.
Like after someone tried to have BST manufacture wheels for Guzzi so he could resell them and BST wouldn't do it. Then I said I would look at converting some of the BST product to fit and was told it can't be done. And BST said "DON'T DO IT". Well just like a rebellious pre-pubescent ADHD brat, I said, "Fuck you" and I did it. Now that "someone" has asked for drawings and pictures just to see how I did it. Nah mate.

The wheel was already invented thousands of years ago, I just adapted it to suit my needs.

Steak wrote:
That's a nice piece of kit there Okuraner! I may have to buy one with the expectation of possibly picking up a GIVI tank-bag at some point.

[sarcasm]Better yet, why don't I buy your whole stock at $40 each, re-brand them under the GRiSO ghetto registered trademark and sell them to the rest of the guys for $60?

I could make a fortune![/sarcasm]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Russian gangsters are spooky. But just like motorcycles, the Italians do it better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some people are all class.   Today at 11:51 am

Back to top Go down

Some people are all class.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: