GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"

Go down 
+10
pokeyjoe
Tolle09
Oz1200Guzzi
pauldaytona
Pete Roper
Steak
pjm
Blue
ronbo10
Bill Hagan
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Empty
PostSubject: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Almost posted this in the "What Did You Do with Your GRiSO Today" section, with one word: Cursed.  Evil or Very Mad

First, yes, I did search before I posted this.   study  

Only found this item, which discussed a permanent fix.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not uninterested in that, but whether I go that route or not, I have to break the code on the OEM POS.

Second, I wish corruption of blood on the Luigi who thought it was a good idea to have a plastic fitting be an integral part of a tank.  The result is that tank removal requires the elegant touch of a scimitar (which I don't have) or the brute force of a broadsword (which I do have) to disconnect it (via the former approach) or break it (via the latter).    No  

It also seems to me that one needs to have three hands (the size of a skinny preteen girl) to do this task, with even more and smaller ones required to reconnect the hoses to the tank nipples.   Crying or Very sad  

The only happy note here is that I have not (yet) broken off the fitting.   Embarassed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So ... while I understand -- I think -- the theory of disconnecting the quick release, I was unable, despite my inspired curses and Kathi's able (and soothing) assistance  queen, to get it apart.

I would thus be grateful for any hints on this.

FWIW, and to save you time, yes, I did crank it to (try to) relieve pressure in the fuel line but may not have done that correctly, i.e., I reconnected the battery (as, of course, raising the tank requires that), and -- with "Mr. Green" disconnected -- thumbed the starter.

The GRiSO, which always starts easily, did not fire at all.  I would have thought there would have been enough fuel in the line to at least get a momentary rumble, but nada.  I presume that if I had left the fuel pump connected, it would not have solved the fuel-line pressure, but maybe I am (as is often the case) missing something fundamental.  Embarassed

Anyway, despite my many (as in seemingly infinite) attempts to move the fuel line toward the fitting while at the same time trying to get the large bezel to move (either direction, as I am unsure if it is supposed to go away from the fitting or toward it Rolling Eyes ), I failed.  I then just gave up, had an espresso (sans grappa for the moment, anyway) ...

... and went back to the Norge ...

... which is how intended to spend my day until "Look! A dog!"

OBTW, I did encounter something others may want to check on before finding the same.

I have ridden in the rain, of course, and, on trips, the GRiSO has slept out of doors, but 99%+ of the time, the pampered slut sleeps in a climate-controlled spa.  I know rust and other corrosive demons never sleep, but I was surprised to find how difficult it was to remove the two large fasteners at the rear of the tank.

If you have removed your GRiSO's tank before -- I hadn't -- you know that the only fasteners that should come out (of the two on both sides of the tank) are the "upper ones," i.e., the one to the left of the above photo.  The well nut with its protruding bolt (at the right of the pic) is supposed to stay, I think, fixed into the frame while the upper fastener, only, comes out.  

Well, using my broadsword approach  Pillage! , I eventually got the foxtrotting thing out, but the moral of this story is that I'll put anti-seize on the upper one at least.

Ditto the heat shield and cosmetic cover on left side.  Had a moment between screaming at the quick-release and saw some minor rust down there. Those fasteners, too, fought removal.  

Anyway, I managed to salvage the rest of the dwindling day by sitting by the fire with my assistant.  

Regrettably, despite the great setting, yes, predictably, I fell asleep and failed, yet again, to carpe diem.    I love you

Thanks in advance for any wisdom or just commiseration.  Mocking will be avenged.   pirat

Bill

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:07 am

Hey Bill,

I chuckled countless times as I read through this- thanks for the humorous post. Sometimes ya just gotta laugh. I wish I had something for you, but my GRiSO is too new to have me getting this deep into it. I think Luigi might have even had an epiphany in the meanwhile and saw fit to source a metal fuel filter for the GRiSO (and hopefully any other Guzzi with a submersed fuel filter).

Good luck with this. I'm sure some folks will chime in shortly with some useful input.

Cheers,

Ron
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:37 am

Can't help you Bill either with any words of wisdom..........I am still just in awe of the Garage/sauna,coffee making facilities, sleeping provison, and space. No bike would want to leave you!!! Glad got to the wine and cheese there too afterwards - good calming qualities.

Hope there was no colourful language in front of the helper?

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:07 am

Bluesun9 wrote:
.....I am still just in awe of the Garage/sauna,coffee making facilities, sleeping provison, and space. No bike would want to leave you!!!...

No kidding! That is so cool!
Back to top Go down
pjm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
pjm

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:21 am

same as bill,ive tried several times,friends have tried all to no avail,the problem is,as you have said,is the fear of breaking the plastic connector no doubt requiring weeks of waiting for said part that will obviously come only as a complete assembly and costing the equivalent of the space shuttle program.the next time it gets serviced ill ask the mechanic if I can watch him do it.good luck.pat

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:23 am

That little bugger of a connection has vexed me on more than one occasion. I honestly believe that it decides for itself when it actually wants to release.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:00 am

DON'T PANIC!

Yes, the fitting is an absolute frontbottom sometimes but there is an easier, safer, way.

Don't bother trying to separate it if it doesn't want to come. Simply disconnect the fuel lines from the injectors by undoing the fasteners on the plastic fittings that hold both the injectors and their decorative *covers* on. Then gently and with great care pull the lines off the injectors. It's probably best to unplug them as this saves straining the plugs and wires.

The tank can then be lifted off SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY while an assistant feeds the hoses through the frame and rats nest of wiring. Make sure you don't accidentaly strain the tank fitting as you do this as, as we know, they are very frangible and prone to snapping.

Once the tank is off it can be drained and inverted on a soft cloth and then you have a clear run at it and you can support the back of the elbow while cursing and struggling with the fitting. It will eventually come off. When you reassemble it a smear of Vaseline or rubber grease with a q-tip/cotton bud around the inside of the female part of the fitting will make it much easier to remove next time.

As for the elbow that is prone to snapping? No, it isn't available as a separate part from Guzzi, you are expected to buy a pump for some usurious price if you bust it. Thing is the part is available separately as an Aprilia part. I think for the Pegaso? How easy they would be to replace I'm not sure as I've, (Luckily!) never bust one yet but the part is available if needed.

Oh, and Bill. Yes there is fuel in the lines when the power supply to the pump is disconnected but without the pump running there is, after the injectors have fired a couple of times, no pressure to force the fuel past the pintels of the injectors so you may get a cough when you press the starter but that's it. It's not like a carburetor where you can run an engine for a short time on the fuel in the float bowl. With FI? No pump-No workee!

Pete

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:57 am

Something like this Bill?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and when you break them, aprilia part: AP8104192

Or Ford 1072003 from european Fiesta mk6/7 and Ford Fusion

and for the bigtank stelvio's some people break them too: GU01106692
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:44 am

Well after much cursing and swearing, sticking my tongue out the other side, changing hands, standing on my head and even praying, I resorted to the only tool any self respecting terrorist would use.

A sharp fucking knife!

Cut the fuel line as close as possible to the plastic shit. When the tank is off the clip is easier to undo. Refit it to the fuel line with a hose clamp, positioned so you can undo it next time with a long bladed screwdriver. This is my new "sacred screw", makes tank removal easy.

Every time I remove the tank I try the push/pull method a few times, been successful once. Screw driver and a twist or two and the line slides off.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:13 am

The cuase of the problem lies in the installation - when inserted a few drops of fuel drip into the inner working of the connector and clean out any evidence of lubrication. each time mine goes back on, I give it a little spray of WD40 for "next time".

Then, when next time arrives, disconnect the pump electrics, go through the motions of starting the bike (I usually do this for more than 3 seconds), tip the tank up, gentle pressure and off she comes without so much as a whimper (poor precious little thing) along with a few drops of fuel, to clean out the WD40 form last time.

Repeat process ad finatum.

Eazy peezy.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:03 am

Yes, never had probs disconnecting when I had a G 11,so long as the tank was supported on a bit of wood etc, so I could get both hands on the fooker

Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
T
Then, when next time arrives, disconnect the pump electrics, go through the motions of starting the bike (I usually do this for more than 3 seconds), tip the tank up, gentle pressure and off she comes without so much as a whimper (poor precious little thing) along with a few drops of fuel, to clean out the WD40 form last time.

Repeat process ad finatum.

Eazy peezy.

This is the procedure on Triumph triples as well.  If there is any pressure in the fuel line, you are NOT getting it apart without some sort of a battle.  Disconnect the power to the pump, run through a start sequence, and it comes right off.  

(Sorry to mention a Brit bike here....)
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:46 am

It's OK, they borrowed the setup from the Italians in the first place - well, that's my story and I am sticking to it...
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:52 am

I had the tank off mo G11 and my departed 09.
While not an obvious fest, I did manage to get those off without breaking anything.
I'm sure a Gynecologist is the perfect man for that job though...

On a side note, I like Pete's idea but isn't there a metal aftermarket available for those gizmos?

Also Paul... dully noted on those Ford an Aprilia parts...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:33 pm

So instead of the "dummy" home mechanic (me), having a "dummy spit", I just wish somebody had told me of the dummy start procedure, previously.
Yes I did lube these bits once, might have been my single successful attempt.
Back to top Go down
smdl
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
smdl

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:22 pm

Last time I did this (Norge), I tried a trick that someone posted on Wildguzzi.  Using a very small screwdriver,  I was able to individually release the little retaining tangs on the fitting.   Once I did that,  it came apart with absolutely no drama at all.  Not sure if you can get the needed access on a GRiSO, but I highly recommend trying as it really was a revelation for me.

Cheers,
Shaun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:39 am

Oz1200Guzzi said.
"disconnect the pump electrics, go through the motions of starting the bike (I usually do this for more than 3 seconds), tip the tank up, gentle pressure and off she comes without so much as a whimper"

Works for me too now, thanks Tony.
Back to top Go down
jomartijr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jomartijr

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 am

smdl wrote:
Last time I did this (Norge), I tried a trick that someone posted on Wildguzzi.  Using a very small screwdriver,  I was able to individually release the little retaining tangs on the fitting.   Once I did that,  it came apart with absolutely no drama at all.  Not sure if you can get the needed access on a GRiSO, but I highly recommend trying as it really was a revelation for me.

Cheers,
Shaun

I assume the quick disconnect is the same as the 1200 Sport and if so there are, as Shaun points out, 4 retaining tangs ( I call them latches) that are shaped with a bevel on the leading side so they slide onto the male coupler easily.  They don't release easily or there would be lots of "Help, I'm on fire!" threads.  To release I use small diameter wood dowels shaved at the end to a bevel.  Insert the bevel under the latch, turn it 90 degrees, raising the latch, and if you're lucky it will stay in place.  Repeat this on the next one and after two are released the coupling usually gives.

(If this doesn't kill this thread then I've broken my trend.) Smile
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:41 pm

I was talking about fuel line quick releases with a crew mate of mine at work.
His first question was "Is your bike fuel injected?"

He told me about the horror of trying to use the "quick release" on his Harley. Yes, fuel injected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"    The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Mandello Oxymoron: Fuel Line "Quick Release"
Page 1 of 1