GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Finished Remodeling my GRiSO

Go down 
+2
TalkingGriso
wallycycle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wallycycle
Carlotto
Carlotto
wallycycle

Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:33 am

2013 GRiSO.

Before I started shopping for a G I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to do to it to make it work for me. There's a riding position I like that the stock G does not have. When I first got the bike, the riding position just did not work (I'm relatively tall with a long inseam). I like to be able to tour on my bikes in addition to the day jaunts and carry stuff I probably don't really need, in addition to the important stuff (eg. tools, tire plug kit/pump, water, food, maps, phone) and room to carry clothing layers as they come off and other misc crap. Anyway, here's what I did and I'm real happy with the result. Now it's an all day/multi day mount.

1. The bars HAD to come up and back. So I had the machinist who used to make those pretty 1" block risers shaped like the OEM riser base for Moto Nexus make up a pair. In addition to that, I installed 2" Rox risers at the other end. Now the bar is where I want it. Required longer brake lines which I ordered from Galfer (two line set up now) and the rerouting of all cables/wires behind the forks. Just enough slack in the clutch line too. The throttle cables were the most time consuming to reroute as I had to disconnect them from the engine side to get them through that small opening in the headlight support.

2. Oxford heated grips. First time I've used this kind of integral heated grip. Prior have always installed the foil under Symtec OEM grip type but didn't like the options for mounting that cheap switch. Oxford went on very slick and the ON-Off temp controller sits via velcro on the top of the triple clamp just ahead of the steering stem bolt. The heating brains sit nicely under the left rear side body work panel. The grips are about 4mm greater in diameter than the OEM, but I don't find that an issue at all.

3. Mounted my wired AMPS Montana GPS mount to the left side of the bar with a standard U-clamp RAM set up.

4. The seat to peg distance with the stock seat is about 18", very similar to my Breva. I sourced a used seat on eBay and then rode the bike to Bill Mayer Saddles in Ventura to have him custom make a seat adding about 3" to the seating area. He did the same to my Breva and it turned out great. Both are covered in leather. Not only did it give me the leg room I want, but it's extremely comfortable and looks good as well. No, it doesn't look anything like that seat modification done "down under" (sorry PR).

5. Installed the MG rear rack plus Givi universal monokey plate to accommodate my top box.

6. Installed the MG semi-rigid panniers.

7. Front brakes were okay but not the initial bite I like. EBC HH pads sorted that.

8. Installed the MG "touring screen" which I sourced from the UK. After shipping, was still $150 cheaper than what MI wanted for it. When first installed I thought this wasn't going to be enough as it's not quite as tall or wide as the MG screen I have on the Breva. It went on very easy and the mounting brackets look very nice and "engineered". Having just completed a 750 mile two day trip, I can say that it works very well. No noise or buffet at the helmet. Just wish it was a little wider to keep some wind off my shoulders, but that's nit-picking.

9. GSG adjustable footpegs (30mm). 8 potential positions around the clock (but not all will work with the foot controls). Easily set. Wanted the pegs just a bit more forward.

10. Hepco Becker engine guards. This wasn't originally part of the plan, but had a recent get off on my GS and the engine guards saved the day. So won't tempt fate. They blend very well with the bike and not obtrusive. I'm not real thrilled with where the top mounts on the stay under the side fairing. After a get off, I'm sure that mount will be toast. The bottom mounts to the left engine mount which is stout. But the objective for me is to save the part that sticks out most, the valve cover. Not worried so much about ruining the cover as I am sitting on the side of the road with a hole in it pissing oil and the bike disabled. I was 90 miles from the nearest town when my BMW decided to take a nap. It would have been a very expensive tow as the valve cover would for sure have been ground through as I/bike slid 145 feet. I was able to brush myself off and continue my 7 day road trip. Guards are now paid for on that bike.

11. I'm using a 15 year old expandable strap-on Fox tank bag which has over 100k miles on it and still going strong. I don't like the side straps used on many tank bags nor the mount used by the MG bags. The Fox straps mount around the headstock up front and a single strap secured at the battery clamp bolt at the rear. Very stable.

12. For a service stand, I'm using my Peg Lift.com stand which I've had for many years. Prior to the GRiSO, I only used this stand for changing rear shocks as it unloads the swing arm by lifting on the pegs. It comes with two different footpeg diameter risers so it can be used with pegs which have large rubber pads using the larger and with sport bike type pegs (GRiSO) using the smaller. Costs a little more than the MG factory stand, MG Cycle stand or the German one but has the adjustability to be used on ANY kind of bike and made here in the good ole USA so I think it's good value in the long run.

13. Speaking of service, word of caution when replacing the spark plugs after doing the valve adjustment. The torque setting in the service manual (30 NM) is incorrect (don't ask how I found that out! Should have listened to my gut.). NGK calls for 10-12 NM for a 10mm plug. I torqued mine (the second time with new plugs) to NGK recommendation. Also, the 3.5L oil capacity is a bit generous. Puts the level a little above the top. Next time will fill to 3.2 and see where it sits.

Anyway, the bike's a keeper now. The fueling is just a bit fluffy at low revs, small throttle openings in the first two gears but great everywhere else. And some have complained of short tank range with the 4.3 gallon tank. I average about 37-41 mpg and that's with an enthusiastic right wrist. That's about 150-160 miles till dry. My bladder capacity doesn't have that kind of range so it's not an issue.

Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
TalkingGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TalkingGriso

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:59 am

Great write up, wallycycle. Would love to see some pics, especially of that seat.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Pics! Now!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wallycycle
Carlotto
Carlotto
wallycycle

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 pm

I'll post some pics once I figure out how. I suppose there's a sticky with instructions. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
wallycycle
Carlotto
Carlotto
wallycycle

PostSubject: Link to modification photos   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

hope that worked. If not, I'll need someone to hold my hand.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks for the write up. Your links to your gallery work fine, or you can post them in-line like so:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
89millegt
Carlotto
Carlotto
89millegt

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Walltcycle, do you have contact info for the machinist that made the 1" risers?
I think Moto Nexus is out of the motorcycle business?
I'd like to get a set.
Back to top Go down
wallycycle
Carlotto
Carlotto
wallycycle

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:08 pm

I was pretty naive and unrealistic using the word "finished" in the title of this thread. Since posting, have added the GSG 30mm adjustable foot pegs. Have positioned them in the more forward position from stock. Having installed these, can no longer use my peg lift to raise the bike as now the weight is on the bolts connecting the pegs to the 30 mm offset arm. So purchased the Moto Guzzi stand. Very happy with it. One man operation and the bike is super stable. With the included under engine stand, can easily have both wheels in the air simultaneously. And finally (but probably not the last mod), added a Laminar Lip to the Moto Guzzi touring screen. I have had good experience with this item on a GS and the Breva. With my seat raised about 3" and being relatively tall, my helmet was in clean and quiet air, but at speed  >80 mph, was getting some blast on my shoulders as the screen is quite narrow. The Laminar Lip took care of that. Just a bit louder than before, but the trade off is worth it.
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 am

wallycycle
How did you go with the cables etc with the handlebar lift.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finished Remodeling my GRiSO   Finished Remodeling my GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Finished Remodeling my GRiSO
Page 1 of 1