GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

hello from southwest Florida

Go down 
+9
NorthernProducer
Pete Roper
DungeonMaster
The Saint
tocino
Grisonut
f-man
Steak
bradbusa
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Steak
Godfather
Steak

hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:13 pm

Fissionmaker wrote:
Welcome to bikestardom! Be aware that it's likely you'll never meet another GRiSO on the road, so don't get lonely. Get the plug cap mod done at your first valve adjustment service (unless you want another reason to replace a stock silencer that's been annealed by an unburned fuel cat fire -- ask me how I know).
Peace, ride on safely.

The plug cap mod is only necessary if your mechanic is a ham-fisted ape. Treat your stock leads fairly and they will last and last. That being said, I have replacement caps at the ready should I ever mistreat my stockers. Besides, the lead channel covers fit better with the angled stockers than the straight caps.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:34 pm

I resent being called a ham-fisted ape, thank you. Even with the most careful removal, mine were arcing to the cover after the first valve service. Add rainwater to the mix and you're running rough quickly. Those stock caps are crap IMHO.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:17 pm

I've had my plugs in and out more times than a rabbit at an orgy and I've still got perfect stock leads. It's the technique.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:19 pm

beetle wrote:
I've still got perfect stock leads.
Should I buy-sell-hold Piaggio? Glad it is a non-issue for you. king I'll be the first to say the NGK fix isn't perfect because it doesn't seal the port like OEM, but that's the only weakness. Unless you are aware of the OEM design/maintenance induced vulnerability, it's bound to cause problems and leave you stranded. It happened to me and it was a PITA. Wish I could remember why I never had this problem on my bike of yore -- an '82 Honda GL500. Now back to regularly scheduled programming.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 pm

beetle wrote:
...in and out more times than a rabbit at an orgy...

bwahahaha

rabbit
Back to top Go down
bradbusa
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bradbusa

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:33 pm

hey, all thanks for the info. i have great news! local dealer called yesterday and after 9 days, i have my bike back! picked him up last night. happy to be be back in my garage! apparently retorquing the oil pan bolts was all it took. will keep a close eye on it.
i have been doing some reading on the spark plug issue. i still dont fully understand the scenario. does the spark plug boot fit poorly?
i am fairly meticulous when it comes to maintenance. i am a technician by trade, for the last 10 years, specializing in european vehicles. only had my hands on a few italians though.. they're finicky!
that being said, i still have a set of plug boots on order. should arrive tomorrow.
thanks all for the warm welcome!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:04 pm

The stock boots fit well, they're just a bit on the 'delicate' side. A gentle touch of a lovers hand is all they need.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:52 pm

The flexible insulation beneath the elbow on the cable to the plug cap easily develops cracks either through tugging to pull the cap off or just aging. The high voltage shorts to the valve cover and the cylinder doesn't fire. If you don't shutdown within a couple miles, the unburned fuel will burn in the catalytic converter section of the silencer. That can ruin the cat and disfigure the finish on the silencer. Also, riding in the rain will make the situation a lot worse due to the elbow being so close to a ground.

I went through two OEM plug leads and even wrapped electrical tape around the elbows before wising up and doing the NGK cap mod. No issues in the 30K+ miles since that mod. So if you ever experience misfiring, check your leads. And splice in the NGKs.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Fissionmaker wrote:
The flexible insulation beneath the elbow on the cable to the plug cap easily develops cracks either through tugging to pull the cap off or just aging. The high voltage shorts to the valve cover and the cylinder doesn't fire. If you don't shutdown within a couple miles, the unburned fuel will burn in the catalytic converter section of the silencer. That can ruin the cat and disfigure the finish on the silencer. Also, riding in the rain will make the situation a lot worse due to the elbow being so close to a ground.

I went through two OEM plug leads and even wrapped electrical tape around the elbows before wising up and doing the NGK cap mod. No issues in the 30K+ miles since that mod. So if you ever experience misfiring, check your leads. And splice in the NGKs.

A good summary of the potential problem.  It's a wise man who has a set ready to go, and it's a quick fix if you need it done.

Thumbs Up

Here are a couple of tricks to make plug boot removal a bit easier during the next service.

Zip-Tie "Rip Cords"

Along with lubing the boot inside and outside on the sealing ribs for the easy slip.  I use dielectric grease.

The vestigial tail...

Back to top Go down
bradbusa
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bradbusa

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Very clever. Hey speaking of services, i will be approaching my first service very soon. How important is it to have the dealer do the first service? They told me something about preserving the warranty, and that piaggio wants to see the first service done at an authorized dealer. I am a professional wrench and more than competent enough to change a few fluids and adjust valves. Has anyone ever heard them refusing warranty claims due to not having the first service done at the dealer?
I am very wary of allowing others touch my vehicles, especially after i receive my bike back with a body panel bolt not installed properly and stripped out.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:37 pm

I've always (3 GRiSO times) had the first service done at the dealer for that very reason.  All subsequent services I have done, and documented, myself.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on the topic

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Steak, I thought you ran NGK caps?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Grisonut wrote:

Not yet. I have them on hand should I ever snap the insulators on the stockers. No need to swap them out yet.

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Steak wrote:
Grisonut wrote:

Not yet.  I have them on hand should I ever snap the insulators on the stockers.  No need to swap them out yet.

You will get pissed if you get caught in the rain with the stokers...
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Grisonut wrote:
Steak wrote:
Grisonut wrote:

Not yet.  I have them on hand should I ever snap the insulators on the stockers.  No need to swap them out yet.

You will get pissed if you get caught in the rain with the stokers...

I live in Seattle, when do I not ride in the rain???  

Not a hiccup yet since October 2012 - rain's got nothing on me...

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:50 pm

You're lucky.
Mine won't idle when wet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hello from southwest Florida   hello from southwest Florida - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

hello from southwest Florida
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2