GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

High milage Guzzis

Go down 
+2
Enzo the baker
keenerkeen07
6 posters
AuthorMessage
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

High milage Guzzis  Empty
PostSubject: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:54 pm

I know a Guzzi can last along time , but how long ?
what is the highest mileage/km that you have heard out of a Guzzi that is on its original engine without major internal work .
To start there was an 850T I knew of in Calgary that had just over 250,000km on her.. b4 a top end job was needed and she pulled a side car most of its life ..alien

Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Enzo the baker

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:33 pm

If you listen to the non-believers it's about 1000 miles before something goes awry.  Back in the 1990 I rode with a guy who had a Convert, the bike had like 80,000 miles on it when we met and he put at least another 25,000 miles on it before he left this earth. I know that the engine was never rebuilt. He was meticulous about maintenance however, and he once rode it to the Arctic Circle. No shit....
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:39 pm

i wonder if boxers last as long scratch
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 am

Daniel Kalal's Cali II had well over 400,000 when he gave it to someone. He'd owned it from new and it had never had any engine work beyond a new camchain I think.

My original big block which started out as an SP had over 3/4 of a million miles on it when I wrecked it out but it was like 'Grandfather's Axe'! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Olof
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Olof

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:11 am

What about our 8v:s? Are they similarly robust or does high-tech performance come at a cost?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:55 am

Doubt many have huge mileages yet. Mine's up to 85,000Km now and the only issue of note it's had is that it dropped the preload on its CARC pinion nut about a month ago, (Why can't the stupid fuckers at the factory use a drop of Loctite fer God's sakes?!). Apart from that I noticed yesterday that my phase sensor is weeping a bit of oil so when I rollerise the motor soon I'll sort that.

There is a lot of hand wringing and 'Chicken Littleing' by the red Suspender brigade about the 'Unreliability' and/or lack of durability of the 8V. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Yes it's irritating that the flat tappet engine is failure prone due to over-cooling and the system should of had a thermostat incorporated to help prevent it but it has been addressed now and to my mind the 8V is such a lovely motor I hate to see it condemned out of hand simply because of the silly riding habits of a few. Yes, there are other failures, WCB's for instance, but most of them are due to people using the engine stupidly! I mean who in their right mind would comute four miles each way to and from work in a cold, damp climate on a 1200cc air/oil cooled motorbike? You'd have to have rocks in your head! That's what small scooters are for and they'd be a lot more fun to do it on!

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Daniel Kalal's Cali II had well over 400,000 when he gave it to someone. He'd owned it from new and it had never had any engine work beyond a new camchain I think.

My original big block which started out as an SP had over 3/4 of a million miles on it when I wrecked it out but it was like 'Grandfather's Axe'! Very Happy

Pete

holy frick that is definately impressive mileage for any machine ....much less a motorcycle ...
nice to know we ride the best around bikes made , I would think
Back to top Go down
Duquois
Carlotto
Carlotto
Duquois

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:09 am

Hi,
My 2008 GRiSO 8v has 57,000 miles (90,000km) on the clock.
It doesn't do short trips but I'm on my 4th set of cams and followers (including the originals). Always had proper oils and filters etc.
The last set were the redesigned ones and the work was undertaken by a local dealer after Guzzi graciously reopened the warranty!
I had to pay £450-00 labour! Each time they failed was in the summer, so lost over 6 months of decent(ish) weather - it is the UK!
Cheers,
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:23 am

Good that you're still keen on the bike despite the cam follower woes, four sets is pretty extraordinary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High milage Guzzis    High milage Guzzis  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

High milage Guzzis
Page 1 of 1