GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!! Empty
PostSubject: Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!!   Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!! Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:59 am

So i wanted to check the tappets, not looked since i have owned the bike. Easy i thought, those guzzi's have a reputation of being easy to work on, until you give it to an idiot....me!

I looked at the front of the engine and thought, that cover looks a bit of a faff to get off, i will put it on the stand and turn the rear wheel, not a chance, even with the plugs out!. So i had to remove the front cover to get to the nut on then end of the crank, i already had the wings off, so it was the horns next, then the electronic cover at the front and the electronics behind it, finally that stupid bolt that holds the overflow bottle on and finally it all came off.

I then started to clean it up and guess what??? YES THERE IS A BLOODY RUBBER BUNG TO GET TO THE CRANK NUT!!!, i felt a right idiot.

I then needed to find the timing marks, so took the bung out of the right hand side of the motor, shone a torch, but can't make out a thing, luckily i have a long screw driver and simply used that to find TDC on both sides.

The good news was that the tappets were miles out!!!  One set of exhaust tappets were at 8, but the rest were all up to twice the gap they should be, on a bike that has only done 4,200 miles, and was rebuilt 2,000 ago with new heads, crank and cases.

So i started her up and she sounds so much better :-) just been for a ride and very pleased, now lets reload Beetles map.........
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!!   Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!! Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:07 am

Look at it as a learning exercise. Razz

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!!   Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!! Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Good thing about Guzzi's; they will let you get away with that.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!!   Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!! Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:22 pm

We all have been there at one point or another. The thing is whether you learn the lesson or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!!   Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Never let an idiot near your bike, bugger it was me!!
Page 1 of 1