GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer

Go down 
+14
Pete Roper
odder
Tolle09
jomartijr
rboe
NorthernProducer
Enzo the baker
Grisonut
beetle
f-man
keenerkeen07
Oz1200Guzzi
Guzziboy66
Fissionmaker
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:01 am

My bucket list includes circumnavigating Australia anti-clockwise, 14-16k km's depending on shortcuts or sightseeing. An easy 4 week trip if you have white line fever and I have to admit, an R1200RT would be on the short list, just saving for the lotto ticket first.
Back to top Go down
bobw
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobw

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:30 am

odder, that's a great video.

I'm still lurking here (and there) deciding on another Guzzi and can offer two cents worth of experience. I think electronic nannies are nice, but have become more a psychological crutch/need rather than a reason to discount a bike otherwise really enjoyed. With the required abs in several countries and the "ride by wire" systems becoming the standard on more bikes it is only a little more time before "they all have it". I am not against these aids, but at some time you run out of tire and on a motorcycle all the electronics in the world won't replace a guy that develops good skills and habits and that applies to more power too, learn to ride better and better still. Distraction is at the core of most wrecks and we blame texting and similar drivers to be as dangerous as the drunk/impaired yet more and more riders want more head sets, blue tooth phone and music, multiple gps, etc., etc. They may be "nice", but they distract too.

I have felt more mentally relaxed riding my futura and my Stelvio all over the U.S. with little or no dealer support than I have my BMW R12XX bikes and I have never had a failure to base that on, but way too many BMW riding friends and other "reliable" riders reports having had total hit or miss luck including models up to the current K1600 with everything from switches (those things that control all the gotta have Nannie toys),  water pumps and TRANSMISSIONS. There really are no bad motorcycles these days, but nagging quality control is still too prevalent and I would only own a new BMW while under warranty. They are great motorcycles and do enjoy some fantastic engineering that works very well, but the Guzzi absolutely kicks it's ass.

Buy the new rs because it rides "better" , not because it will tell you your tire pressure is low without asking.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />
Back to top Go down
jomartijr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jomartijr

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:52 am

Dang, another Futura owner.. I knew I was in the right place. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:50 pm

+1 bobw. Excellent post. Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Well the BMWs I sat on at the dealer all come with a three year warranty. And this dealer claims to include the first six (6) services "free". I'm betting the SRP includes these perks to some degree. But I'm waiting to see the R1200RS that has not been released yet (a 2016 model). Not interested in any other, although I was hopeful I'd fit well on the K1300S which was my first interest. Wanted to explore 175hp. affraid
Back to top Go down
FreshEgg
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FreshEgg

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 pm

While I truly despise the R9T, I thought that both the 2015 R1200R and 1200RS were serious and compelling motorcycles - the biggest appeal being the new iteration of the boxer engine, along with ABS.

However, losing the telelever front suspension was a big demerit for me as I'm, frankly, a bit of a Norman Hossack fanboy and the compliance offered by that setup beats any conventional fork that I've ever ridden. The seating position on the 1200R was also too much sit-up-and-beg for me. Both will never have the soul of the GRiSO but deserve respect, unlike that blinged-out POS that is the R9T. I really pity the wankers that went for the R9T rather than a GRiSO - they don't know what they are missing.

I say that because the reason I was at the BMW dealership was to pick up a 2006 R1200S...

... which has been on the personal bucket list for a long time. It has the same motor as the R9T, which makes more power than the GRiSO 8V, but feels like an oversized sewing machine with flatulence. This despite a full zoot titanium Akrapovic exhaust. Above 5000 RPM, the mechanical cacophony that is the GRiSO's mill, comes together into a beautiful song while the beemer just gets increasingly vibey and vaguely irritating. I will not be parting with the GRiSO.

Yet the R1200S has a cartoonish charm. I love it's ugly face which looks like a Grouper Fish, which our friends from OZ know well, no doubt!
Back to top Go down
bobw
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobw

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Wow, six free services is worth serious $ and if they are still on the same 6K interval would bring you to the end of the 36K/3 year warranty. I know the BM auto group does this and many local OEM Motorcycle Dealerships offer prepaid service contracts too. Be interesting to see their bottom line when you get to compare.

Have fun road testing, the water cooled engine raises the performance bar much like the 1150 to 1200 platform did. I took several rides up the Blue Ridge Parkway on a GSw and it was amazing in many ways, but I enjoyed my "old" RT with Wilbers more when I got back on it. Even with almost 70Ks, I preferred the feel of the "old" engine on our lovely mountain roads. Maybe if I took a third ride and played more with all the electronic adjustments it may have been the charm, but it was the first time I was trying to talk myself into buying rather than not as by the time I test ride it is usually "a done deal".

The RS ticks a bunch of boxes, but try a set of PR4s for rain, tar snakes, etc., etc,. before worrying about t/c if you really like the Guzzi otherwise. Good luck, new bike shopping is good for the soul!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Well the RnineT does come with an array of hoodlum clothing, albeit a far cry from the HD lifestyle. I was pissed the K1300S ergos didn't fit me enough for a long term commitment. Seeing the GRiSO in the garage might be the long term answer to my wandering ways . . . I want ABS 'n stuff on it though.
Back to top Go down
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:20 am

Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been 4 days since I traded my beloved GRiSO and its 33,685 glorious miles on a showroom new-to-me 2012 K1200S, red no less, with 4774 miles. I had been watching this wedge for over a month and resisting its calling pricing adjustments. So I went in to see and touch the 2016 R1200RS that finally arrived last week to refocus my interest; a beautiful and expensive machine that RS is! BUT I had to get on the K bike to convince myself it wasn't ergonomically going to work out for me. I was wrong, completely wrong. So take the key and do something with it the advisor offers. The transverse four comes to life in an instant with that Akrapovic snarl and without a vibration rolls to any speed. This thing is so stable, not a rocker, and has the ABS/ESC/ESA nannies I want (and the reason I was searching for another mistress to begin with). The accelerating quick shift is a great bonus feature (upshift without pulling the clutch lever). I am so looking forward to my first experience playing in the sport tourer segment on amp'd power delivery. I wish you all the best and safest rides out there on the great and timeless Guzzi!
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Congrats!

Enjoy your new bike. Other moms have also pretty daughters, but it´s still an soulless four. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Sven
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:35 pm

scratch Really ? well each to their own I guess tongue Laughing
Let us know how you like it after a bit of seat time , did you get a warranty on the 2012 k1200?
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:04 pm

I test rode a K1300s a bit back and wanted to like it but didn't. It wasn't as rapid as I thought and the seat was a plank, which wasn't good for sports tourer, but it would pull away from low revs in top gear pretty well. The worst feature of all was that I couldn't raise a grin when I was on it but its only my opinion , others might raise a chubby but I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
eric2186
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
eric2186

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:20 pm

I think it really just comes down to what your heart wants. If you have to convince yourself it's a good buy by listing reasons and rationality, it's probably not the bike to get. If you're saying something like "YES I WANT THAT . . . but no ABS, no ESC, blah blah blah . . . ," that's the bike I would actually get. But then again I'm not even 30 so maybe that would change with age.
Back to top Go down
http://thesunhaswings.blogspot.com
bayareagriso
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bayareagriso

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:34 am

My second post here. The first post was about how I'm negotiating to buy back my '12 Tenni. Failing that, I could always finance a new GRiSO. It's been almost 2 years since I rode a GRiSO, so I need to get back on one and see how I feel about it.

In the mean time, I test rode a Nine T and was favorably impressed. It's less refined than the GRiSO ("refined" being used in a relative sense, obviously), with less character, but it was much easier to handle in the City. Not a bad city bike at all, really. The GRiSO is well-suited for certain kinds of roads, but is a fish out of water in city riding. Neither the Nine T nor the GRiSO are particularly good for long distance travel, so they're basically even there.

The MG power train is so much more enjoyable than the boxer, it's not even close in my mind. But the boxer does get significantly better fuel mileage, and is still loads more satisfying than a Honda CB-whatever.

The attraction of the Nine T for me is simply that it's the closest thing I can get to a GRiSO that has ABS, so I'm pondering it for that reason alone. I've had 3 BMW's and never a problem with any of them, so my personal experience is very positive. That the SF dealership is top drawer also factors in.

If I got the Nine T I'd have to modify or replace the tubed tires, which I cannot abide, so an expensive bike becomes even more so right out of the gate.

Odds are pretty good that I'll end up with another GRiSO, just because I'm a non-conformist at heart, and the thought of being just another guy on a BMW makes me a little ill. When the Nine T first came out, I thought they would be few and far between. But my dealer has several of them in stock.

Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:08 am

so what I am gathering from your post is that you want to buy a GRiSO to see how you feel about it now because in the first place you sold your GRiSO for some reason 2 years ago ..
but you are looking for a city bike which is not a GRiSO but the Nine t is a better city bike ..
you think they both are not great for touring ...
the most important thing for you is ABS so the Nine T strikes a cord ...and the local BMW dealership is top notch but then again its got tubed tires which you would have to change out ..and becomes even more expensive scratch ....so you will probably get the GRiSO because you are a non conformist at heart ..

ok here from what I have read is what I think you should do..My opinion only
buy a Vespa ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
bayareagriso
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bayareagriso

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:18 am

keenerkeen07 wrote:
so what I am gathering from your post is that you want to buy a GRiSO to see how you feel about it now because in the first place you sold your GRiSO for some reason 2 years ago ..
but you are looking for a city bike which is not a GRiSO but the Nine t is a better city bike ..
you think they both are not great for touring ...
the most important thing for you is ABS so the Nine T strikes a cord ...and the local  BMW dealership is top notch but then again its got tubed tires which you would have to change out ..and becomes even more expensive scratch  ....so you will probably get the GRiSO because you are a non conformist at heart ..

ok here from what I have read is what I think you should do..My opinion only
buy a  Vespa ... Laughing

what I'm gathering from your post is that you enjoy the sport of sarcasm. Which is fine, so do I. But I'm trying to make a difficult decision so I'd be more interested in constructive feedback on the comparison of these two bikes, if you have any to offer.

I sold my GRiSO because I was in financial hard times, which thankfully have eased up quite a bit. I'm fortunate to at least have a shot at buying it back.

About 40% of my riding is in the City, so city manners are important, but not the whole story.

ABS is not the most important thing. It's just a thing, one carries some importance. That said, I always felt that braking on the GRiSO was pretty good and, unlike some other ABS-less bikes I've had, did not make me yearn for that technology.

Practicality points towards the Nine T moreso than the GRiSO. Actually, practicality passes over the Nine T and goes directly to the R1200R. But I can't bring myself to be THAT practical.

Please understand, it's not that I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I do (insert non-sarcasm icon here).
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:37 pm

My advice to most people in your situation is always the same. Buy another bike for commuting and get whatever you want as your 'Fun' ride.

"But I can't afford two bikes." Is the invariable catchcry. Thing is with the money you'll save on servicing and wear and tear on the 'Fun' bike a small commuter will pay for itself in a couple of years.

As is my want I always suggest a scooter as a second commuter bike. They are cheap to own, are superb city vehicles, offer great weather protection and have ample carrying capacity for work related junk.

Pete
Back to top Go down
bayareagriso
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bayareagriso

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm firmly in that camp. I commute on a Brammo Empulse. Does a fantastic job as a commuter, and logging 250+ miles a week on it helps "pay off" the relatively high purchase price through gas not bought. What sealed the deal for me was that, because it's electric, I was given an indoor parking spot at work equipped with charger. And it gives the GRiSO a run for its money as a cool attention-getting bike.

The GRiSO, or whatever I get next, will be my "fun" bike, but that still includes a fair amount of city riding. Getting to the pub, for instance.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:15 pm

bayareagriso   this Laughing  means I am joshing you... I guess a Vespa would make sense for the city, but I see you have that covered with your Brammo..
IMO your fun bike should be a GRiSO a brand new one ...go for it,you know you want it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer   OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

OMG I Was at the BMW Dealer
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2