GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A better dipstick?

Go down 
+9
Blue
Street
bobbyfromnc
waterbottle
Tolle09
Pete Roper
LBC Tenni
The Saint
Gouldy1411
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Gouldy1411
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Gouldy1411

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 am

Hey guys, I have a GRiSO 1100 and wanted to know if anyone has come up with a better dipstick idea than the standard black plastic thing that I struggle to see the damn oil on (even with my reading glasses on). I'm thinking surely someone does an nice aftermarket alloy item?

Regards from South Oz...
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:27 am

if you can find a way to paint it orange, without paint coming off, would be an idea. I wonder if anyone that's chemically savvy, would know how to change the colour of the plastic? Question
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 am

I'm using this one and it's perfect. They also have one with a built in temp gauge if you prefer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 am

File one side flat. Makes it much easier to read.

Pete

Gootzibird13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:51 am

If dipping the thermostatic way get the RR as above, not a cheap copy
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:57 pm

At home I use an Ultraviolet LED torch, The synthetic oil shows up bright green against the black dipstick.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:48 pm

Ron, brilliant idea mate.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:13 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

Pete

This is probably the best idea I've heard of so far . The UV light trick works good in a shaded area like your garage but is next to useless in a sun lit area
Back to top Go down
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:16 am

Pete Roper wrote:

Pete

I like it, a voice of reason and practicality! cheers
Back to top Go down
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:17 am

waterbottle wrote:
At home I use an Ultraviolet LED torch, The synthetic oil shows up bright green against the black dipstick.

Cool... sunny
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 am

You have to remember I'm an 'Old School' analog sort of guy. If it can be done in a simple, cro-magnon way? I'll find it!

Very Happy

Pete

Bill Dee likes this post

Back to top Go down
bobbyfromnc
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobbyfromnc

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:08 am

Pete Roper wrote:
You have to remember I'm an 'Old School' analog sort of guy. If it can be done in a simple, cro-magnon way? I'll find it!

Very Happy

Pete

bounce bounce Viva la Fiesta LOL... I love it. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Gouldy1411
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Gouldy1411

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll try the "file one side flat" idea first...
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:47 am

I have a feeling ther're gonna be a lot of flat-sided dipsticks out there in the future. If you ever buy a used GRiSO, you'll know it's previous owner had some connection to the Ghetto!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks all. Such simple answers. cheers

Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:51 am

Peter
My eyes which are shit thank you.
I tried sanding it so it was a more rough surface but did make a big difference.
Back to top Go down
KenGriso
Carlotto
Carlotto
KenGriso

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:03 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
I'm using this one and it's perfect. They also have one with a built in temp gauge if you prefer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This doesn't seem like it will be long enough for a 2017 8V right?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:35 pm

Measure the original and ask them the lengths they have. There are several.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:33 am

I also have one of those dip sticks from mgcycle. I still use my old plastic one to get the oil level right and also to check the oil. Since the aluminum stick is just a stick and not tapered like the plastic one, it kind of moves around in the sump more and it doesn’t give me a good feeling I’ve got the level right. It looks better than the plastic one though. I told mgcycle that the one I bought fit the GRiSO but they probably didn’t update their site.

Gootzibird13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:38 am

Just looked at the link you posted and I see that my GRiSO 2014 is now listed. Starting in 2015 the GRiSO got the single piece sump and may require a different stick. Like Pete said, measure yours and call or email them.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:32 pm

I have one of the MG Cycle ones too (the one with the temp gauge). When I first got it I was a bit worried, as it looked looooong!!! Scared it was going to hit the bottom of the sump as I screwed it in. It didn't though. Mine's a 2014 model.......be warned though, there are apparently two sizes, depending on whether your GRiSO is a 2014 or earlier vs a 2015 or later. The MG site mentions which one is which. Just read the product description carefully before ordering.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:42 pm

Oh, and by the way, if you need the one for the 2014 or earlier, it doesn't have any oil level fill marks on it, so it somewhat defeats the traditional idea of what a dipstick is for. Normally that would have annoyed me no end, but I bought mine solely for the temp gauge feature. I keep the old dipstick in the garage to measure the oil level. A bit odd, I know.

Potential quick fix is to measure oil level using the factory stick, then measure against the MG Cycle one and put a file mark (or black marker pen line) where applicable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A better dipstick? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A better dipstick?   A better dipstick? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A better dipstick?
Page 1 of 1