GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?

Go down 
+3
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
Fissionmaker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Empty
PostSubject: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Based on my odometer, I should replace all my hydraulic and fuel lines as well as the alternator belt. I should have also renewed my front suspension and spark plugs several times up to this time. What a Face

So what is your take on the official schedule . . . designed for dealer revenue, attorney privilege, or are the MG components that crappy and dissimilar from auto equivalents and do indeed require frequent renewal?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:30 pm

The fork overhaul is a joke. They are exactly the same Showas used on most Japanese sportsbikes. Do you think they have a special facility in a sand ine for building the Guzzi units? Of course not.

Brake and clutch lines! Seen no need to replace mine yet.

Alternator belt? I did mine at 50,000 but it showed no signs of unusual wear.

Plugs. Likewise, I threw in a pair of EKB's at about 50K. Horizon still comes towards me.......

Pete

Transplant likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 pm

I replaced my alternator belt at 70000 km - don't know why I bothered, it looked perfect.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:43 pm

What Roper and Tony said. But I did find that manufacturers use inferior oil in forks and I notice a difference with good new oil. It's piss easy to do.

Al

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:18 pm

I think most of this crap is because of lawyers...
I replaced my alternator belt on my 09 at 30K miles like the manual says but it was more because the belt is cheap than anything else.
Spark plugs? I run Iridiums so they'll be there for a while.
Fork oil? I plan to leave it alone until 60K miles or so.
As for clutch and brake lines, I'll go by feel. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tod.
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Tod.

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 pm

I Replace brake/clutch fluid every couple of years. And not just for the sake of it. My clutch line fluid must have sucked up too much atmosphere as when I bleed it its a shitty black colour. Lubed the drive splines with moly60 grease when I renewed the swing arm bearings at around 21,000 miles. Fuck replacing what it says in the manuals, just do the important stuff and check the rest. Alternator belt? Like new with no cracks or wear, but it is fairly low mileage even if it is 8 years old. Bugger to get to tho'.
Back to top Go down
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Yea I'm with you on the DOT fluids R&R. I purge black goop from the clutch slave circuit each time too.
Back to top Go down
jomartijr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jomartijr

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Clutch circuit black fluid we also saw on on Aprilia Futuras 10 or so years ago and was accompanied by clutch slave piston seal failures. It was suggested the black discoloration was coming from the wear and tear on those seals.

So one of the guys that really delved into this sort of thing tried Dow Corning 111 silicone grease on that piston seal. Stopped the fluid turning black and saved a number of seals.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?   MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

MG Service Schedule, Are You Serious?
Page 1 of 1