GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Non start yesterday.

Go down 
+6
f-man
Steak
Oz1200Guzzi
Grisonut
Guzzi Cat
garyclem
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

Non start yesterday. Empty
PostSubject: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:23 am

As above, went to the bike and dash sweeps and hit the starter and nothing. Had no time yesterday to do anything.

Searched here and found threads on 15amp fuse on starter relay blowing and cleaning the terminals etc........Thanks all. No history on the battery ,but it has been fed by an optimate since I have had the bike [ Aug 14 ]

Going to get some 20amp fuses on the way home from work.

These OK as I have this store local to me?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers,

Blue/Ian.
Back to top Go down
garyclem
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
garyclem

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:19 pm

I just bought fuses similar to those from my local petrol station .............. I think fuses are pretty well universal. I have not had a problem with Fuse B since replacing the original 5 year old battery, properly cleaning the terminal connectors and also using a 20 amp fuse (as recommended by Pete). Although probably unnecessary, I also wait for the pre-operational start up sequence to conclude before hitting the starter Suspect  ................ I do that because I'm quite delusional, now firmly convinced that the fuse only ever blew when I hit the starter before the needle had done its thing
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Hello Ian;

The green neutral light is on? On my trip yesterday i had a short stop and GRiSO won`t start after it. Checked the killswitch, ignition on/off serveral times, nothing. After a while i realized, that the neutral lamp is not shining. Set the gearbox to neutral and the engine roars.

Good luck

Sven
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Cheers both. Found some corrosion on one battery terminal. Fuse was blown. 20 amp in place and terminals cleaned and protected. She fired right up. Spare fuses with the bike now.

Happy days!
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:48 pm

[quote="Blue"]Cheers both. Found some corrosion on one battery terminal. Fuse was blown. 20 amp in place and terminals cleaned and protected. She fired right up. Spare fuses with the bike now.

Happy days![/quote)

Good that you got her sorted Blue, If it blows the fuse again I would recommend running the "wire directly from the battery to the starter relay fix" that is documented here in the Ghetto if you do a search! study

After the fuse blew on me once I ran the wire from the battery and haven't had a problem starting since Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Those terminals need to be checked periodically guys.
I had to clean them at the 6000 miles service on all 3 Grisos I've owned.
Never had a fuse blown on all 3 bikes... Lucky?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm

probably 6 months is the max you want between battery connection checks - voice of experience here...
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:09 am

Startus interruptus strikes again...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:04 am

Honestly - Cheers guys! cheers I printed off the manual and the service interval guides yesterday too.

Having taken the time to search threads, I already had a clue what to look for so the 'Ghetto' has really helped me with the beginning of owndership of my first ever Moto Guzzi. Regular check will now be in place. I think after this summer, I will change the battery just so I know exactly where I am with that too. The Yuasa one fitted seems clean enough but I have no clue if it was original to the bike in 2011. If so, maybe getting towards a need for change.

On the rewiring front - not sure if I would do that myself [ I am not electrically minded and to say that I am heavy handed would be an understatement ] So would get someone experienced to do it for me.

I keep seeing this on ebay? Not a direct wiring solution, but if you scroll down and read - they are making some higher efficiency claims????

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:02 am

90$ for the 2 wires, a handfull of cable straps? Evil or Very Mad Or should we pay the sweet words of advertising? Twisted Evil
I think it´s not a bargain. Shouldn´t be worth much more than 25$. Wink

Just my 2 cents

Sven
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 am

Jeeze Blue, it's not that hard, some wire and a 15 amp fuse/ holder. I'm away from home at the moment but would be happy to walk you thru it. As mentioned earlier , look up Startus Interuptus, some good insite there.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:30 am

f-man wrote:
90$ for the 2 wires, a handfull of cable straps?  Evil or Very Mad Or should we pay the sweet words of advertising?  Twisted Evil
I think it´s not a bargain. Shouldn´t be worth much more than 25$.  Wink

Just my 2 cents

Sven

So a load of bollocks? Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:36 am

waterbottle wrote:
Jeeze Blue, it's not that hard, some wire and a 15 amp fuse/ holder. I'm away from home at the moment but would be happy to walk you thru it. As mentioned earlier , look up Startus Interuptus, some good insite there.

Thanks waterbottle, appreciate what you say. I have seen the thread and the electrical diagrams. Whenever I look at electrics it fills me with dread [ hence 'it's all spaghetti' in my signature ]

Most I have ever done [ sad to say ] is to just wire an extra fused connection from the battery of my Versys 650 to power socket that I drilled and put into the dash facia. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:32 am

Another thing to be aware of is a finicky neutral switch attached to the gearbox (NOT the kickstand switch). Mine has a mind of its own at times and won't give the permissive green light even in neutral, so I have to clutch-in to override it. So if your're having a start issue, pull the clutch in and hit the button.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Mine used to blow the fuse regularly so I did the 'direct power' wiring mod. No more blown fuses since then. However, I do sometimes get the 'clunk, no start', but it fires up on 2nd or 3rd attempt.

2009 bike, original battery (I use an Optimate on it regularly) and no, I have not cleaned the battery terminals. I think a new battery might be on the cards.
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Two Shoes
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Guzzi Two Shoes

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Blue wrote:
Cheers both. Found some corrosion on one battery terminal. Fuse was blown. 20 amp in place and terminals cleaned and protected. She fired right up. Spare fuses with the bike now.

Happy days!
Hey Blue, did you completely disconnect the battery cables? The reason I ask is that resetting the clock on the dash is the biggest pain in the butt, so much so, that for 6 months of the year it reads 1 hour slow (or fast depending on the time of year!!)
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:11 am

Guzzi Two Shoes wrote:
Blue wrote:

Happy days!
Hey Blue, did you completely disconnect the battery cables? The reason I ask is that resetting the clock on the dash is the biggest pain in the butt, so much so, that for 6 months of the year it reads 1 hour slow (or fast depending on the time of year!!)

Hi Guzzi,

Yes I did, but managed to get everything back on the dash, the time is correct. Don't ask me how I did it though as I just toggled around with it in the garage with calming music playing!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non start yesterday.   Non start yesterday. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Non start yesterday.
Page 1 of 1