12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mad man or just a really keen tourer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:04 am

Saw this today. A guy on a scooter loaded high with touring gear. The scoot had Western Australian registration. I can't imagine riding a scooter 3000km. Shocked

Apologies for the bad pic. I took out the window of my car on the go.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:24 am

He's probably a lot more comfortable than we would be!

Don't underestimate 'Midi' and 'Maxi' scooters. They'll get the job done. They might not offer the degree of excitement or handling we expect but as 'Tarmac' vehicles they are second to none!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:07 am

The way he has that packed it looks like he has got himself a nice backrest thing going on too. Smile
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:31 am

Yea I used to laugh at scooters , until I had a beer with a rider named Peter that had crossed Canada twice on his and that my friends is a long way.
A Suzuki  Burgman as I recall , told me he cruises along at 115km all day long  and he had a lot of gear aswell, plus his dog "Nick"  Little Jack Russel  ...retired and happy , no wife and freedom to go as he pleased ...he never had a motorcycle didn't  want one really ..just wanted to travel , he was a right on guy , I was envious of his lifestyle ...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Around the Canberra region I'm seeing more and more of 'em. Usually being ridden by older blokes with sensible riding kit. These aren't just novices, my guess is they are just blokes who can't swing a leg over a bike any more so the step-thru design allows them to keep riding. That'll be me too in another fifteen years or so if I'm lucky enough to live that long!

The only other alternative seems to be one of those wretched Can-Am things! I'd rather tear my one remaining testicle off and eat it in a bun than be condemned to riding one of those horrid bits of shit around!

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Pete how about a postie bike I believe a Honda CT110 is what they use in OZ ? Smile
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:22 pm

I few years ago I met a guy, Won, from South Korea who people nicknamed the "Ruckstar". He flew to the U.S., bought a 50cc Honda Ruckus scooter, and then spent a year riding it all over the continental US. And I mean all over. I forget how many miles he had on that thing. The flat bottomed layout of the Ruckus with open space under the seat was perfect for carrying lots of stuff.

While he braved almost all the 50 States using only 50cc I would want something bigger like a Bergman. Honda made a larger "Big Ruckus" that could actually do highway speeds but discontinued it.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:26 pm

He's out there doing what we do - cred to him!
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 pm

In 1974 we decided to tour across Canada from Calgary ended up in Prince Edward Island and returned via the Northern States  via  the top of the USA up through Montana and then back to Calgary  our total was about 10500 miles, 2 months of  travel. we were riding  a Z1, CB750 and a Harley Sportster. when we were just outside of Calgary we came across a kid our age who had done nearly the same trip on a CT90 but he was from Seattle Washington . I am glad i had the Z1 ,but respect is due to the guy on the CT .
I must say ,I did think he was a little crazy though.....still do

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
He's out there doing what we do - cred to him!
Yep, I second that.
Back to top Go down
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:03 pm

That's a routine sight in Thailand except there would be a sofa stacked up top.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Fissionmaker wrote:
That's a routine sight in Thailand except there would be a sofa stacked up top.

Creature Comforts?
Back to top Go down
odder
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 pm

I must confess I'm finding the Piaggio 350 a darn neat scoot.
(no fan of the can-am either, going bigger there is the Mana or Honduh)

After dinner saw a couple get kitted up to mount their scooter home. Think it was a Scarabeo or another larger Aprilia/Piaggio.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:10 am

Guy I work with has an Aprilia Leonardo 250 - he has had it from new in 2001. That thing shifts for a rev and go. Met a guy in France on a Burgman 400. He had done France, Italy, Croatia, Greece, then was on his way back to the UK.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:51 am

As some of you know I own two Aprilia Manas, one in the USA, one here. They are my second favorite bike of all time.....

Pete
Back to top Go down
Omnis
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:33 pm

The truth is a bit sadder: the guy in the top picture was caught with his pants down knobbing a bit of crumpet, wife kicked him out with only the stuff he could carry on his scooter.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Omnis - you know this how?
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:12 am

Omnis wrote:
The truth is a bit sadder: the guy in the top picture was caught with his pants down knobbing a bit of crumpet, wife kicked him out with only the stuff he could carry on his scooter.

Are we sure this is a sad end? He could be grinning under that helmet!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mad man or just a really keen tourer?   Today at 3:42 am

Back to top Go down

Mad man or just a really keen tourer?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: