GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hot Weather riding jacket

Go down 
+17
DungeonMaster
JohnA
CPB
Steak
Chronic
Grisonut
ObdewlaX
plantboy
pokeyjoe
waterbottle
jomartijr
beetle
Pete Roper
opc
Blue
Street
Canyon Carver
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

Hot Weather riding jacket Empty
PostSubject: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Where I live it can get very hot in the summer months, well over 100 Farenheit. I know some of you live in areas that get hotter and it's difficult to ride mid day.
I decided to search for a mesh jacket to offer some cooling air along with some protection, instead of riding in just T-shirt or long sleeve white T shirt.
As I perused the myriad of mesh jacket options offered on-line, I was surprised to see none that were all in light or white colors without having a portion of the jacket be black.
Now everyone with a brain knows that dark colors absorb heat, so I was determined to find something without any dark areas.
I wanted something that seemed well made, so I finally found this from Held, but when I inquired with the distributor of availability in the US, I was told NO! So now I've ordered this all the way from Europe, where it probably never get's hotter than 85 or so. Go figure. Anyone else tried this?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Question
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 pm

CC,

I haven't tried that particular jacket, but it looks nice. I do have a mesh jacket, black of course, with armor in all the usual places, but I've decided I'm really not that crazy about it. A couple of years ago my wife and I were traveling across the Mojave desert and it was 100 degrees(F) at 9:00 in the morning! At one point I started watching my dash and matching my speed to the rapidly climbing outside air temperature. At ninety degrees, ninety MPH, etc. I finally stopped playing that game at 105, I think Esther thought I was trying to ditch her. We stopped for gas in Needles and the guy there said, "Man, you guys are smart to be traveling through here early in the day, it got to 120 here yesterday afternoon!" Get me the fuck out of here, says I! Anyway, I had the meshie on and I rigged up a makeshift holder on my dash so I could grab a water bottle with a big hole in the lid and drench myself while riding at high speed. The problem was, the air was so dry, and with the wind of riding, I was bone dry in a minute and a half. And then I ran out of water.

Plus, when I wasn't wearing it, the mesh jacket was taking up valuable, limited cargo space. So next time I'm leaving the meshie at home, putting on a long sleeved t-shirt, soaking wet, and then covering it up with my regular textile riding jacket with all the vents open. The theory being that the moisture will last longer and the slower evaporation should keep me cooler.

A couple of other notes:
I tried one of those soakable gel vests on another desert trip one time, and that was a total P.I.T.A! It takes awhile to prep the damn thing to get it really saturated, and then you have to bag it and carry it until the heat of the day when you really need it, and when you put it on, it feels like you're wrapping yourself in wet meat. It's heavy and soggy and damned uncomfortable.

Now here's something else I haven't tried, but I saw at the International Motorcycle Show here in December. Might should have bought a pair, but figured I could fashion something similar myself.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] An important feature is the screen in front - keeps bees from flying up your sleeves!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Hey thanks Street, for that info. The vents product looks interesting too. I might try one.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:32 am

As I live in the UK - I cannot comment on hot weather! But have seen the Held jackets here and they do look like a good bit of kit. Hope it all works out well for you CC.
Back to top Go down
opc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
opc

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:48 am

I ride in this one when it gets above 90*: ALPINESTARS-T-AST-Air-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket

It's good in that the light inner liner helps prevent immediate evaporation. Armor in all the typical places, although I did upgrade the back and chest armor.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:58 am

While we were in the US touring on the Cali Jude bought a full Revvit mesh suit and loves it. Since se only rides with me when the weather is good here in Oz it's her 'Go To' for most of her riding. For the really hot months she has a cooling vest too. I bought one of these as well and when the ambient temp rises to the high thirties it's a real godsend, especially around where I live where it's generally a very dry heat.

For some peculiar reason getting really good hot weather gear is actually much harder in Oz than it is in America! Go figure!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 pm

I sometimes ride with my jacket sleeves loose to let air in, but I never considered that bees or wasps or winged centipedes might swarm in. Those 'Ventz' look interesting.

Of course, I won't need to worry about it until late September, because...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
jomartijr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jomartijr

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Stinging insects seem to have a knack for finding a loose sleeve. Happened to me on a return trip from the Hill Country and a yellow jacket wasp motivated me to pull off onto the shoulder asap and strip off my mesh jacket. Little sucker got me pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:31 pm

I ordered a couple sets of Ventz yesterday, decided upon further reflection that they seemed like a really good idea and I'd probably never get around to reinventing them myself. This afternoon I walked into the kitchen and found them sitting on the table. "Holy shit! I just ordered these yesterday!", I exclaimed. Esther grinned like a Cheshire cat. Turns out she'd bought some at the Euro Moto show last weekend, behind my back, and was going to give 'em to me on my birthday in a couple of weeks. And she's doubly clever, she somehow intercepted the Amazon order and cancelled the second pair. She's a keeper!
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Street wrote:
I ordered a couple sets of Ventz yesterday, decided upon further reflection that they seemed like a really good idea and I'd probably never get around to reinventing them myself. This afternoon I walked into the kitchen and found them sitting on the table. "Holy shit! I just ordered these yesterday!", I exclaimed. Esther grinned like a Cheshire cat. Turns out she'd bought some at the Euro Moto show last weekend, behind my back, and was going to give 'em to me on my birthday in a couple of weeks. And she's doubly clever, she somehow intercepted the Amazon order and cancelled the second pair. She's a keeper!

Lucky guy! All my wife ever gives me is a hard time! Let me know how you like the Ventz when you can.
cheers
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Canyon Carver wrote:
All my wife ever gives me is a hard time!...

A couple, three times a week if I'm lucky. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:15 am

Too much info Street , ( you lucky bastard )
Those vents look like an idea though. Ive often soaked my tee shirt and mesh jacket with water on hot days but it only lasts about 30 miles or so.
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:11 am

Good lucky with a white jacket. I had a tan textile jacket I wore on coolish days. Boy, did it get dirty. Every crease and fold seamed to have a shadow behind it. The jacket got steadily darker as you moved front to back. It didn't come clean in the wash either. I finally replaced it with a leather one when I could afford it. Black doesn't show dirt. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:52 am

pokeyjoe wrote:
Good lucky with a white jacket.  I had a tan textile jacket I wore on coolish days.  Boy, did it get dirty.  Every crease and fold seamed to have a shadow behind it.  The jacket got steadily darker as you moved front to back.  It didn't come clean in the wash either.  I finally replaced it with a leather one when I could afford it.  Black doesn't show dirt.  Just sayin'.

I hear ya'. I don't plan on wearing it all the time, only when it's real hot. Plus it's not white white. They say it's light grey. I have a black leather and blue denim jacket for most days. I also have a force field around me to keep asteroids and particulates away. Wink
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:24 am

Canyon Carver wrote:
I also have a force field around me to keep asteroids and particulates away. Wink

How does it work with rain?
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:28 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:
Canyon Carver wrote:
I also have a force field around me to keep asteroids and particulates away. Wink

How does it work with rain?

What idiot rides in the rain? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:36 pm

Probably the same guy the rides in a meteor shower.
Back to top Go down
plantboy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
plantboy

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:11 am

Dainese Air-Frame - the best fitting, light as a feather mesh jacket you will ever own. I'm saving for mine to wear next Aussie summer.
Back to top Go down
ObdewlaX
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
ObdewlaX

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:45 pm

I've been using a Vanson Vent Max jacket for many years and it's great for good air ventilation. Combine with a cooling vest and it works even better.

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:45 pm

I have a Dainese and a Frank Thomas...
The latter breathe better and I use it more on hot days.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Canyon Carver wrote:
Where I live it can get very hot in the summer months, well over 100 Farenheit. I know some of you live in areas that get hotter and it's difficult to ride mid day.
I decided to search for a mesh jacket to offer some cooling air along with some protection, instead of riding in just T-shirt or long sleeve white T shirt.
As I perused the myriad of mesh jacket options offered on-line, I was surprised to see none that were all in light or white colors without having a portion of the jacket be black.
Now everyone with a brain knows that dark colors absorb heat, so I was determined to find something without any dark areas.
I wanted something that seemed well made, so I finally found this from Held, but when I inquired with the distributor of availability in the US, I was told NO! So now I've ordered this all the way from Europe, where it probably never get's hotter than 85 or so. Go figure. Anyone else tried this?
Question

Well I got this Held Tropic II and it's too baggy and sleeves a bit to long. Guess I should have ordered the Medium, instead of the Large. Dang. I wear a 42 suit jacket and a medium Cortech denim. Any one in the US want it I will let it go for $125. Sad
Back to top Go down
Chronic
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Chronic

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 3:54 pm

I finally gave up on Mesh textiles because they always seemed a bit too baggy and would flap & flutter too much for my liking..... drove me crazy.  Perforated leather was my answer. The AGV "Breeze" has big enough perf for good wind flow and not so big that a wetted down shirt doesn't dry too quickly.   I think we had a record number of days over 100 F last summer and rode quite a few afternoons in it and was not too bad considering was in a leather jacket (and matched perf'd pants when sport riding).   Well, anyway,  seems to work well for me

Well made gear for the price point, too.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 6:42 pm

I want a Rev'It! Ignition 2 Jacket.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Mon May 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Both nice jackets above, thanks. However my search was for as light a colored jacket as possible to avoid gathering heat from the sun. NO black or dark panels framing the mesh or breathable sections.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 am

Any good?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hot Weather riding jacket   Hot Weather riding jacket Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hot Weather riding jacket
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next