12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sayanora High Desert

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Sayanora High Desert   Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:33 pm

I have just accepted an opportunity to change departments with my company which also means changing locations.

As of May 18th I will be working in Santa Monica - near the 405 and 10 freeways.
Yes, I am looking for someplace to live in that area. Within walking distance of my yard would be best!

This does also mean that I will be looking forward to getting into riding mischief with any nearby Ghetto Denizens so we can go looting. er, cabaling. er, riding.

DM
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Sat May 02, 2015 7:59 am

Is that tumbleweed country ?
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 am

Where I'm leaving? Yes!!
Where I'm going, No.
I will be 2 or 3 miles from the beach.

DM
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Sun May 03, 2015 11:21 am

DM, that sounds like an excellent relocation. I love Santa Monica. I am stuck in the desert, but at least the roads are pretty good here.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Sun May 03, 2015 4:33 pm

I agree. love the desert, but always feel a sense of relief as I get closer to the coast. Good luck with the move DM
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Sun May 03, 2015 4:59 pm

That's a pretty expensive area. Pretty heavy traffic, too. Good luck to you, sir.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Sun May 03, 2015 5:59 pm

I don't know if you have any dogs or cats, but my cousin is a Veterinarian in that area. 911vets
Good luck finding a place $$$$
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Tue May 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Yeah. traffic and parking is _bad_!
I had a shopping list of needs for a place to live.
Then I drove around the area the yard is at and I changed my list.
I moved "live within walking distance of my work yard" to NUMBER 1!!

DM
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:27 am

Hey DM, just saw that you moved to Santa Monica. How's it going there? I'm just down the 405 in Long Beach and up for some looting/cabaling/riding. Pillage!
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:41 pm

I am getting close to getting done with the stuff and the house up in the desert. I am still looking for my own apartment. So I haven't got the bike down here yet. I am HOT to get on my GRiSO and get some cabals going.

DM
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:32 pm

Ok, let us know when you're situated and we'll plan a run through Latigo Canyon. Grisos like that one! Fanatastic riding at your doorstep there.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Update.
Got myself my own one bedroom. In Van Nuys. RIGHT next to Van Nuys airfield.
Soooo I will be getting my stiff down from storage in a week or two.

I think that makes the Thousand Oaks dealer the closest to me.

DM
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:36 pm

DungeonMaster wrote:
I think that makes the Thousand Oaks dealer the closest to me.

Are you familiar with them? I bought my Dorsoduro from them. Nice family-owned place, but weak on service.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:14 am

Vespa

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 am

Thousand Oaks is the dealer where I first noticed the Grisso. I would have purchased mine there, but I needed more money for my trade-in than they would give me. I later heard that they were looking for a "real" mechanic, as whoever they had was not qualified at the time. Perhaps things have changed?
That's how I discovered Todd Eagan at Guzzi-Tech. Pro-Italia was a bit farther away from me and I had read some very bad reviews of them, as to service satisfaction. Also the Elitist attitude I felt when visiting there previously when I owned my Thruxton and Monster turned me off. I prefer to use independent mechanics whenever possible.

BTW, DungeonMaster, I have business at the Airtel Plaza Hotel at Van Nuys Airport regularly, very close to your new digs! Congrats on the move to "beautifull Van Nuys". I do know all the best places to eat around there. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:45 am

I recently checked all the dealerships in the LA area in order to determine where I should take mine for the 6k mile service. I'd prefer to use an independent as well, but mine is a 2011 with the flat tappets and I don't want to risk having to pay for the roller kit if they go bad. Thousand Oaks, Sherman Oaks, and Newport Beach dealers are all primarily Vespa shops. All of them had to put me on hold to figure out what the service would cost. Not a good sign. One has to wonder how many Grisos they service. So I went with Pro-Italia. I think they did fine work for a fair price and the bike runs better than ever. Also they said they have some experience with tappet failures and getting Piaggio to pay for the roller kit, so that could turn out to be quite valuable. Everybody I encountered there was very friendly. No elitist attitude at all. I gather that they've had some management changes recently, so maybe that explains the change in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:52 am

LBC Tenni wrote:
I recently checked all the dealerships in the LA area in order to determine where I should take mine for the 6k mile service. I'd prefer to use an independent as well, but mine is a 2011 with the flat tappets and I don't want to risk having to pay for the roller kit if they go bad. Thousand Oaks, Sherman Oaks, and Newport Beach dealers are all primarily Vespa shops.  All of them had to put me on hold to figure out what the service would cost. Not a good sign. One has to wonder how many Grisos they service. So I went with Pro-Italia. I think they did fine work for a fair price and the bike runs better than ever. Also they said they have some experience with tappet failures and getting Piaggio to pay for the roller kit, so that could turn out to be quite valuable. Everybody I encountered there was very friendly. No elitist attitude at all. I gather that they've had some management changes recently, so maybe that explains the change in that regard.

My bike, an early 2012 with flat tappets, was purchased new from Pro-Italia by the previous owner. It was serviced by them onc for the break-in oil change. I first heard about the flat tappet failures on this forum. When I called Pro-Italia service and inquired about the roller conversion, they told me it would not be covered on warranty. This was before I had any other mechanic work on the bike. I had my 6K valves done by todd a few months ago and he told me all looked fine and not to worry about tappet failure in our so-cal environement. I do not take the Grisso out for short hops of less than 40 miles, so as to make certain it gets up to temperature, thus "boiling" away moisture in the oil.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:30 am

I guess they've learned a bit since your experience CC. They now say that they have dealt with some tappet failures on high mileage bikes. I was told that the failure will be covered fully, parts and labor, if the bike is still under warranty. If no longer under warranty, the parts will be covered but not the labor, provided there is an acceptable service history on the bike. I take that to mean dealer service. He said it's just a matter of providing Piaggio photos of the failed parts. So I'll continue to use P-I for regular maintenance, just in case mine does decide to go tits up. Anyway, my local independent Guzzi pirate, who happens to be a recommended service provider on this fine forum, quoted me $100 more than P-I for the 6k service. I have no complaints about my first experience with P-I. Maybe I was just there on a good day. Only time will tell.

On a related note, one has to really wonder how there can only be one credible dealer service shop in the entire LA/OC area for this brand. The bikes are some of the most compelling in the world, but Piaggio has some serious work to do. Hello Piaggio, anyone home?
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:46 pm

I have had one service done at Pro Italia which was good. Just a tune up.
All the rest of my service has been done by the Illustrious Sean Fader in his RTL shop in Santa Ana (formerly Costa Mesa)
Santa Ana isn't nearby but Sean is worth it.

DM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sayanora High Desert   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

Sayanora High Desert
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: