12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

My trip to Tonopah

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: My trip to Tonopah   Thu May 14, 2015 9:13 am

Well the Craig's list description said "2004 Ducati ST3 for sale excellent condition, everything works, you wont find a nicer one, $5500." I have been looking for the 3 valve ST for about 6 months. I need another Italian in the garage to keep the GRiSO company. So I talked my riding buddy who worked at a Ducati dealership for a few years into accompanying me to the mysterious town of Tonopah, in Arizona's far West Valley yesterday. After a 78 mile drive West on I10 we finally arrived at the "ranch."  When I got of the car the first thing I noticed was the rear tire and how it looked absolutely flat in the middle. Bad sign, read on. Closer inspection revealed a once beautiful St3, now however corrosion was gaining on all the metallic parts. I checked the chain, yep lots of slack, rear sprocket would need changed. It became increasing apparent that simple maintenance skills had eluded the owner. I wiped my finger on the front fork leg just above the seal and I noticed a thin film of something oily. I finally asked the owner where the bike had originally been from? He told me Wisconsin, a State known for dumping huge loads of salt on the roads during their almost perennial Winter season. This bike had only 8600 miles. My buddy was giving me all kinds of nonverbal, do not buy signs. The seat cover was faded and some function on the dash would only work if you rolled the bike backward a few feet. Additionally the last service took place at a dealership in Wisconsin, a Japanese dealership no less. I said, did they check the valves? Belts? He mumbled something about an oil change, last straw. I thanked him for his time and we got back in the car and drove the 78 miles back to Gilbert. Kind of sad really, that bike will probably sit in his garage and gradually fall apart. Anyway I am back in the hunt.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Tonopah   Thu May 14, 2015 5:58 pm

I had no idea there was a Tonopah, AZ. That's a much easier trip from Gilbert than to the other Tonopah...

Good luck with the continued search.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Laker
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Tonopah   Fri May 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Hey Enzo there's a sweetheart of an ST3 near me  http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4986315559.html

Silver Ducati ST3 less than 6k miles - $6100

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Tonopah   Sat May 16, 2015 12:58 am

Laker I emailed that guy via Cycle Trader last night. He seems anxious to sell it, he discounted the price $500 to cover my shipping. You are right it's a sweetheart, however I think he's got it priced about $1,700 over nada and kbb average and I really want a red one....... bounce
Thanks for thinking of me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My trip to Tonopah   Today at 11:16 am

Back to top Go down

My trip to Tonopah
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: