12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Aprilia Mana?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Aprilia Mana?   Sat May 23, 2015 11:57 am

I'm thinking of gettina a Mana for longer trips with a passenger. Can anyone who is familiar with both GRiSO and Mana comment on how they compare in terms of long ride comfort, particularly that of the pillion? My girlfriend is not very happy with the pillion seat on the GRiSO after a few hours.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Sat May 23, 2015 1:03 pm

You should have just sent Pete a PM. I think he's just about the only one here who fits your qualifications...

Until then, just keep waiting patiently.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Sat May 23, 2015 1:04 pm

The Mana is, IMHO, just about the best touring mount ever. I own two. My early 2009 NA here in Oz and a 2010 GT in the US of A.

Of the two in stock form the GT has it all over the NA. The fairing is great and Puig make a taller screen although I had no problem with the height of the stocker. Apart from that Ergos are identical. The GT also has ABS which, while not a deal maker or breaker for me seems to be for some.

One thing that it shares with the GRiSO though is a fairly rotten pillion seat. The pillion riding position isn't too bad and both of my bikes are 'Luggaged Up' with the factory racks and Givi panniers, (The Aprilia ones are re-baged Givi.) and a tail rack, also factory. On the NA I have the Aprilia top case, (Once again re-badged Givi.) for the GT I have an enormous and hideous to look at Chinese top case that is ugly as but big enough to take a dead whale! Jude really likes having something to lean against and both cases work well for this. The seat itself on the NA we had rebuilt by a bloke up the road in Goulburn and it is really a huge improvement, especially for Jude, and this, along with lowered pillion footpegs has made the bike outstanding comfort wise. Roll all these things in together with the VAST carrying capacity, (2x35litre side cases, 30-40 litre top case and the storage area in the 'Tank'.) couple it with the E-CVT and it makes for a superb tourer. Suspension on the stock bike is fairly rudimentary, (Although the set up on the GT is slightly more adjustable at the rear and the GT just seems to work better.) but on my NA here I have Gen-II Tuono forks on the front and a Hyperpro fully adjustable custom built shock on the back. It handles well Twisted Evil .

My GT is currently languishing, and clogging up, my mate Jon's garage in LA. He would love to get rid of it! If you'd like to borrow it for an extended period you're more than welcome. All I'd ask is that you tag it and keep it insured. If you decide it isn't suitable for your needs I'll arrange to get it shipped to Bill Hagan, which is what I've been meaning to do for ages but we couldn't make up our minds whether we wanted to leave it in the US or ship it to New Zealand.

The weird thing is that Manas aren't popular so it's pretty much worthless! Something I find bizarre for what I believe is one of the best touring bikes in the world. The E-CVT means no lurchy gear changing to annoy the passenger, they are smooth almost to the point of being anodyne and are quite economical. Great city bike too!

People tend to fret about service costs but in all honesty it's one of the cheapest bikes I've ever owned to run. Belt change is a fairly big job but apart from that it's really just oil, filters, chain, sprockets and tyres. On my NA I went in to do the valves at about 30,000km and they were all spot on. Given you need to take half the bike apart to get to the rear head this so enraged me that I've not bothered again and at 66,000 they still sound exactly the same so I probably won't be going in again any time soon!

Anyway. If you'd like a 'Loaner' to try? Let me know!

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Sat May 23, 2015 6:43 pm

That's a very nice offer Pete, and I'll gladly accept! I have just enough room to squeeze another bike in the garage. I'm just down the road from LA in Long Beach. I'll PM you the rest of my info. Thanks!!

Don
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Sun May 24, 2015 4:26 am

Gimme a few days, it'll probably be when I get back to Bungendore before I can arrange everything. The bike was last tagged in Florida.robably be better if I just 'Sold' it to you as CA has some bloody stupid regs WRT getting it tagged in the name of a non resident 'Furriner'.

The bags are currently here but I'll see if I can ship them relatively cheaply to you. If you plan to tour your missus will love you. Jude and I prefer the Mana to the Cali 1400 as everything is QD and as I said the carrying capacity is huge. Also, believe it or not, it handles decent dirt roads fine too whereas the Cali was unrideable on anything but tarmac.

It has been sitting for a while so it'll definitely need the tank emptying and some new fuel with some 'Jector cleaner bunged through it and maybe a new battery and plugs but other than that? Just check the oil on the dipstick before you fire it up. It's a semi-dry sump engine and if the 'Tank' is empty it will starve the important bearings until it can scavenge some back from the sump to the 'Tank'.

I'll see if I can post a few pics.

Pete
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Sun May 24, 2015 5:08 am

Hey Don,
Pete was kind enough to let me ride his Mana into Canbera last Xmas. He was on my GRiSO.
A very impressive bike. Twist -n -go. It would be a magic thing in the hills cheers
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 am

Sounds good Pete! We tend to just do long weekends in the local mountains, so we won't be riding it to Timbuktu and running up the mileage, but it will get regular exercise. I look forward to dusting her off!

Don
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Mon May 25, 2015 1:57 am

So you want to send your Mana to NZ for a holiday. Let me know if I can be of assistance at the NZ end Pete. There's always a bed and a beer here for GRiSO owners. Be warned though you'll find the riding so good you'll want to stay. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Mon May 25, 2015 2:35 am

8 days riding in Tasmania nearly killed me, doing 400k days doesn't sound like much but with no straight roads that makes for 8 hours of intense concentration. Wore the sides off my front tyre before the rear.

If Un Zud is a bigger better version of Tazzie, I'd need to take a very long holiday and actually do some tourist shit (rest days) instead of just ride.

It's on the bucket list ......................
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Mon May 25, 2015 2:56 am

Andy in NZ wrote:
So you want to send your Mana to NZ for a holiday. Let me know if I can be of assistance at the NZ end Pete. There's always a bed and a beer here for GRiSO owners. Be warned though you'll find the riding so good you'll want to stay. Very Happy

Then reality is that shipping the Mana to NZ would be quite expensive. I'm also not likely to use it often enough to make that worth while. I can always rent a Guzzi off Dave Gale if I'm going to ride there.

With the Manin the U.S.? Jon hasn't been able to tag it because he was reluctant to get it tagged in his name, not sure why but he's a very 'Christian' bloke and there might be some sort of church ban on suss has things? Perhaps he just didn't have the time, he was out of work for a while looking after Brenda and has been doing it tough. Anyway, I'd like to get it out of his hair and most of all I'd like it USED!

As I've said, it isn't worth a lot. For some reason nobody seems to 'Get' the Mana until they've ridden one. No it doesn't appeals to everyone but some people dismiss it out of hand. If Mr Tenni likes it then he can either buy it off me with the proviso I can borrow it if and when Jude and I come over or it can remain *Mine* in all but name and he or anyone else deemed responsible can use it like my old GRiSO Pinko was used. It got written off in Seattle but no matter, it was insured. Greg Field has it now. I wish he'd sell it back to me! Laughing

The simple fact is its a GREAT touring and town bike that is simply sitting doing nothing. What a fucking waste! I can't bring it back here, (Government regs. Don't ask.) so I'm more than happy for ANYTHING to be done with it, as long as it gets given a regular gallop.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Mon May 25, 2015 12:08 pm

I can see an Un Zud Cabal is the making. Let the fun begin.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Mon May 25, 2015 9:22 pm

And gallop it will Pete. I have no problem tagging in my name. One just has to complete the forms properly. Twisted Evil I'll happily keep the dust off so it'll be ready to go for you whenever you find your way to CA.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Tue May 26, 2015 6:01 am

That's all we want.

As stated you'll probably need to modify the seat, especially the pillion squab, and do a bit of cleaning, polishing etc. but it's essentially a sub-8,000 mile motorbike.

You may hate it! If you do? No worries, I'll get it moved on. Thing is that EVERYONE who has ridden a Mana and accepted it for what it is has come back with a HUGE grin on their face!

I'll be contacting Jon ASAP, it may be after I get back from holidays on the 8th of June but I'll try and get the ball rolling before that. Are you OK with me forwarding him your details?

To me the Mana is the perfect foil to the GRiSO. I think they're both grouse!

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Tue May 26, 2015 9:23 am

Sounds great Pete! I can't wait to try it out! Please give Jon my details and arrange as convenient for the two of you.

Don
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aprilia Mana?   Today at 11:50 pm

Back to top Go down

Aprilia Mana?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: