GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...

Go down 
+16
waterbottle
tocino
The Saint
GHTE
keenerkeen07
Josh.C
pauldaytona
jeremyb
Tolle09
Blue
Andy in NZ
Steak
Bill Hagan
mark111
Pete Roper
beetle
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:55 pm

But for that money, or less, you could have had a pair of Ohlins. The right ones just slide in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:10 pm

You're right Paul. I am extremely happy with the Matris rear shock, so it was a natural progression (not a spring pun). For that money, Ohlin's would have been used and possibly forked (that was a pun).

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:15 pm

I bought what I thought were the correct Ohlins but the one I got need different yokes. My mistake. I've actually decided to stick with what I've got because to be honest the bike is much better than I am nowadays. Getting old sucks!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:49 pm

What do you think would give the biggest improvement in handling - upgrading the front or rear? I feel like my front is more the issue on my bike, though maybe it just needs servicing.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:12 pm

most often the rear shock needs to be dealt with first
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:26 am

I'm shocked at the this conversation, it keeps rebounding please someone put a dampner on it. I'm too highly sprung for this.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:41 am

Josh.C wrote:
What do you think would give the biggest improvement in handling - upgrading the front or rear? I feel like my front is more the issue on my bike, though maybe it just needs servicing.

The rear is the easiest or simplest way to achieve good results, but setting up the front properly always yields best results in all regards, in my experience.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:43 am

beetle wrote:
cheers

Thanks Jeremy. I was hoping to have my forks back two days after dropping them off, but the kit hadn't arrived from Italy yet. It's already been more than six weeks since I last rode GRiSO, so I'm starting to champ at the bit.

Six weeks? Fuck me drunk mate
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:36 pm

7 weeks now... bounce

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:03 pm

The Saint wrote:
The rear is the easiest or simplest way to achieve good results, but setting up the front properly always yields best results in all regards, in my experience.

That's what I was thinking and has been my experience to date.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:43 pm

In reality, most people feel the rear shock needs the most attention, especially largish riders.
Hence, a stiffer spring and valving with correct ride height (sag) will have the bike sitting higher at the rear. This not only decreases rake and trail (= quicker/lighter steering), but adds more weight over the front, which in turn causes more front sag than before. This also will decrease rake and trail (= quicker/lighter steering, again).

Also the imbalance of a stiffer action in the rear suspension, will transfer shock loads (on any given bump) to the front causing the forks to compress a lot further.

So what I'm trying to imply here is, front seems ok but rear needs work. Fix the rear and suddenly the front will be inadequate by comparison.

I have had several customers lately who have gone straight over the bars during emergency braking.
Riders have been 110kg+ (conservative guestimate) and when later measuring static/rider sag, were amazed they had 1" or less travel in the front forks. scratch
Sudden braking had the forks bottomed out, rear rising and their considerable bulk pushing on the bars rotates the bike over the front axle. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:34 am

What issues are people experiencing with the rear suspension on the GRiSO? Is it more about poor handling or comfort?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:38 am

Comfort. I didn't have any handling issues, but the rear shock was over sprung with no travel. The Matris I've got is superior in every way, and also has adjustable ride height. Setting that to max quickend the steering up noticeably. My kidney is much happier as well.

The front end is over-damped and doesn't seem to respond to adjustment. Razz

The new cartridges and springs should give me a greater range of adjustments and also extend the life of my headlight. Laughing

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 am

beetle wrote:
7 weeks now... Ā  bounce

Sad
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:50 am

Josh.C wrote:
What issues are people experiencing with the rear suspension on the GRiSO? Is it more about poor handling or comfort?

It's acceptable, but high speed damping is the real issue. That's front and rear.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 am

It's now 8 weeks. Crying or Very sad

However, I'm told my kit has shipped out from Matris.

Another week or so....

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Hey Beetle, is the kit being shipped to you ? Photos of the contents ?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Nah, the Oz importer is doing the forks for me.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:55 pm

At least it got shipped-out of Italy before 'everything closes for August' .....
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah, I'd probably have a barbed-wire baby if it hadn't shipped before August.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:31 pm

ouch!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Nine. Fucking. Weeks.

Crying or Very sad

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:46 pm

They could have delivered it by camel in 9 weeks! In the year since I got my GRiSO, the longest I've gone without a ride was 8 days I spent vacationing on the beach in Mexico. There I was surrounded by powdery white sand and naked women, piƱa colada in hand, thinking about riding my GRiSO. It's perverse! We're all diseased! affraid
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:50 pm

What are they doing? Carving the shims out of poached Ivory from Senegal?

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 am

Hang on, it's been 9 weeks since I've ridden the GRiSO. The fork kit was ordered on 19 May. So really only 5 weeks waiting for Matris. But still.. affraid

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...   Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oh noes! My GRiSO won't go...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next