12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

This just feels WRONG

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: This just feels WRONG   Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:38 pm

Maybe I'm the one who's nuts here, but this just feels wrong to me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Especially from these next three angles:

Does that shape remind you of anyone?

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm not into outfits, but it looks OK to me. I've seen worse things done to a GRiSO. Mad Suspect scratch Viva la Fiesta

I don't see Woody Woodpecker either. Suspect
Back to top Go down
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:42 pm

It looks like something that needs to be killed with a harpoon at the first opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:09 am

I do not like the sidecar much but it does look well thought out and put together [ in my world ] - but the weird thing is the GRiSO itself carries the extra width tyres really well.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:14 am

I hate to think of how much this little outfit cost, richer than me.
Caoi
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:19 am

If I had shit loads of money and wanted a side car, I'll have the GRiSO driving it. Good effort.
Back to top Go down
Glen Forrest
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10 am

Are you sure this isn't a Photoshop??????

Either way, it's an abomination. sorry.
Back to top Go down
jomartijr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 am

I'd love to have it so i could combine a GRiSO ride with being able to take wife and dog out for a spin.

I had a sidecar outfit years ago- an airhead BMW with a Velorex car and it was a bitch to handle as it wasn't really a combination designed to work together. That leading link front end looks more steering manageable.
Back to top Go down
Laker
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 am

jomartijr wrote:
I'd love to have it so i could combine a GRiSO ride with being able to take wife and dog out for a spin.

I'm with you on this one. My wife would actually ride with me if I had a sidecar. She has lower back problems so she doesn't like riding pillion. Also, my good old dog is getting a little old to run around the parks but still likes to get out and be with me. I'd love to put him in a sidecar and tool about town.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:41 am

Pete, (Street.) actually PM'd me about the possibility of puting a chair on a GRiSO. I haven't had a chance to reply yet but the gist of it is that I don't think that a GRiSO would be a particularly good choice for a hack hauler. Why? Well first and foremost there is no lower frame. The front down tubes terminate quite high and importantly are primarily there to hold the engine up. While some degree of rigidity is imparted to the package by the engine the frame is bolted to the timing chest which in turn is retained to the crank case by about 10x6mm and 2x8mm bolts. A chair, even a well set up one, imparts large torsional forces on its mounts. I for one wouldn't want to entrust my or my passengers safety to such a weak set up. So, before you even started to look at mounting the char you would have to look at designing and building a sub frame to take mounts and remove stress from the engine.

My mate Peter in Townsville who recently bought a 1200 Sport, his first solo bike in years, is a sidecar nut. He has a Hydro Cali with a G&G chair on it and all the fruit. Leading links, 15 inch car rims and tyres. Everything that opens and shuts and its a VERY nice rig BUT he's also sunk over $20K into it to get it to that point. There is a lot more to building a decent outfit than simply adding a third wheel, it's a real black art. Few people nowadays have the skills to do it right and like so many other trades that almost vanished in the latter part of the twentieth century, (Like Thatching and Smithying.) getting it done right is expensive.

I wouldn't use a GRiSO for the reason listed above for starters but a Hydro Cali is a virtually ideal tug. Low, simple maintenance, tons of grunt, full cradle frame and cheap to buy. Make certain that all its issues have been addressed before attaching the chair and you'll have a superb, virtually maintenance free, outfit. What's not to like? And. You don't have to fuck up a GRiSO to do it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
blue thunder
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:51 am

I've seen much worse combinations. If I'd had the money for an extra bike with sidecar, I'd go for something similar.
Sure it's for a total different kind of motor rider.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tripper.be
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:13 am

I don't mind the look of it but I wonder if they got to a point and asked themselves " maybe we shouldn't have done this"
The front suspension is a wild set up Shocked
Only one disc on the bike, the other "Front" disc on the chair ? That would stop it pulling to the left when braking I'm guessing.
Points for daring to be different
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:45 am

I'd like to have a sidecar rig to haul my big dog around. But I'd rather just get a Ural. Why spend all the money to destroy a GRiSO? It's not like you see a Ural every day either. I guess some people need a one-off to be satisfied.
Back to top Go down
jomartijr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:14 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
I'd like to have a sidecar rig to haul my big dog around. But I'd rather just get a Ural. Why spend all the money to destroy a GRiSO? It's not like you see a Ural every day either. I guess some people need a one-off to be satisfied.

Good point and the Ural looks to be made to be the "tractor" for a sidecar rig. Wouldn't mind one myself though from reading road tests the Ural is pretty basic and medium slow. We had a Ural dealer here in Ft Worth who would take one to bike meets and demo it by going flat in in reverse then do a 180. Raised some "whoas"...
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:49 pm

I've seen this sidecar last week, it's nice if you like sidecars and guzzi. But even if you don't it looks well made and good engineering.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:04 pm

pauldaytona wrote:
But even if you don't it looks well made and good engineering.

Yes, but I feel so sorry for that poor GRiSO.  It's like putting a thoroughbred stallion in front of a custom-made cart. It works but it will not make the horse very happy.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:41 pm

It is actually well made and those pics have been around for a while.
It's just that the GRiSO is simply a hooligan bike and not designed for sidecar but it still is a cool sidecar IMO.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:56 pm

meh ...............
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:07 am

Thanks for all the responses Boys. Personally, I think that GRiSO sidecar rig has a bad case of ghetto booty, which I'm actually kind of attracted to on the right lady, and which, given the name of this forum could be considered a good thing, but it's not really my style in motorcycles or sidecars. Regarding the Woody Woodpecker reference, here's a better illustration of what I was seeing in this rig:

Never mind all that. The reason I posted the idea in the first place is that Esther and I have just adopted the cutest-fucking-puppy-on-the-planet Earth, an Australian cattle dog/border collie mix, and have looked forward for a long time to getting a sidecar rig set up for traveling with the dog. We've had one other of this mix, Jubilee the Wonder Dog who lived to be almost eighteen years old. The new pup, Jellybean, named for the sexually adventurous cowgirl character, Bonanza Jellybean in the Tom Robbins novel, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, is just ten and a half weeks old and in lieu of a road trip this year our summer is being devoted to hard-core puppy bonding and training and the creation of her very own sidecar. Next summer we'll be on the road with her and Esther and I will switch off between riding the GRiSO Rosso and carrying Jelly in her royal chariot. So I've been PMing Roper for his thoughts on sidecars and power-plants and in the end, it turns out, in spite of our mutually sarcastic personalities and insult-laced banter, we agreed that a good, used, low-mileage California 1100 would be the appropriate basis for such a set-up. Lo and behold, I scored one locally yesterday, a 2003 with only 11,001 miles on it in immaculate condition and made a visit today to Jay at Dauntless Sidecars in Enumclaw, forty miles south of Seattle to talk about next steps. We're now zeroing in on the best, most affordable set-up we can assemble and plan to get on his waiting list post-haste.

This sidecar project, in spite of the way this post started out, will not be built upon a GRiSO foundation (which I just couldn't have stomached anyway - what a waste of a GRiSO), but it should prove interesting and if there's interest here, I'd be happy to post pictures and commentary on the process as well as the finished result. If not, I'll just shut the fuck up.

Mean time, feast your eyes on this, Jellybean showing a bit of SASS!:

Kind of looks like Mr. Horsepower above...

It sure is nice to have friends in the business whom you can trust to get you headed in the right direction. Thanks Pete for your input and to Dave Richardson at Moto International for giving me the thumbs-up pre-purchase on this bike, and to Jay at Dauntless for his expertise on sidecars. When all is said and done, we will have sunk a chunk of change into this project, but we'll have confidence that it was engineered properly and will be as safe as any motorcycle rig can be. So now, we're working out which chair to purchase with what accessories and for what money we can handle, and hoping to put it all together in the next few weeks.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Street on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:37 am

Hell yayusss, keep the doggie/sidecar updates coming!

Yes indeed, that Jellybean is a sweetheart.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:43 am

Well I hope Jellybean is going appreciate all of this?!?! Cool

Projects be good, and above all else if it makes you happy and makes you smile, why would you not do it. As we all know very well, life is too short. Very Happy

As Steak said, keep us posted on progress Street as I for one will be really interested to see how it all develops [ including Jellybeaning sidecar training!! ]

Best wishes, Ian/Blue.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:37 am

Don't care it's no GRiSO, It's a Guzzi innut?
Love creativity and engineering ............................ and puppies. tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
motomonster
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:45 am

A cat fits in your saddlebag. Poke a few holes. And they're cute as kittens.

Just sayin'...

Laughing
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:00 am

this may help Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 am

Street wrote:
Esther and I have just adopted the cutest-fucking-puppy-on-the-planet Earth

I'd be happy to post pictures and commentary on the process as well as the finished result.

A) OK, that puppy is pretty darn cute.

B) I'd like to see your "Cali-Bean" build-out. I've always wondered how sidecars rigs were done (right)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This just feels WRONG   Today at 1:51 am

Back to top Go down

This just feels WRONG
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: