12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tattoos..........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:29 am

Do you have one/some?

If so, what do you have and why did you go for that? Plans for any more?

Any regrets?

Or do you dislike them and why?

No fights! Just interested to hear people's thoughts really.

For my part, I have two. One on each shoulder. One is a Japanese character which is a symbol meaning truth and long life. The other is a Chinese Dragon. Had them for years.

Last edited by Blue on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:48 am

Whatever floats your boat, but they don't float mine.
Maybe i'm just an old fart that needs to move on with the times.
Caoi
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 am

Got two, both on my forearms, dragon and eagle. Never regretted them and thankfully had them done before AIDS reared its head. Would I have more? At my age? With my saggy old skin? Get real!

Jude has one too, a lattice design on her hip. Never regretted it. Doubt she'll have another one either.

It's not something to be entered in to as casually as some young people seem to do now and I personally think that at the moment there are certain people who seem to have gone into 'Ink Overload'. Yes, it can be lazered off but that is expensive and not without risk.

Funnily what I actually feel more like removing occasionally is my ear ring. Why? Because the whole body piercing thing has become gross and I don't want to be associated with it. Having said that its been in there for forty something years and quite frankly I'm too lazy to care that much. It also sets off my ear hair in a fetching way!

Pete
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:01 am

My first one I got without much thinking (a girl might have been involved...). It was a tiny little thing since I had no money and was done at a crappy shop by a drunk. 2 years later I got it lazered off. Early days for that and it ended up costing many times that of the tattoo. So lesson learned: go to a quality place and know what you want.

Since then I've gotten 10 more. If you like 'em they can become addictive. I am surprised by the full sleeves I see a lot of folks in their 20s sporting. These things are expensive (if you go to a good shop / talented artist) so I don't know how someone affords that much work so fast. Plus it kinda takes the fun out of building it up over time. To each his/her own!
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:18 am

My mrs has a 'W' on each bumcheek , so when she bends over it spells WOW....'kinell that's an old one. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Im ex Navy. and obviously a motorcycle enthusiast. To some folk that would dictate some inkwork. No amount of scribble is gunna make me look any better so I saved my bucks.
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Obviously, they're not everybody's cup 'o tea, but I'm into them. I have my wife, Esther's name on my chest along with two swallows, a traditional nautical tattoo symbolizing travel by sea which I figure can serve just as well as a symbol of travel on two wheels. On my left forearm, wrapping all the way around is a scene of Seattle including the Space Needle, the waterfront, a fire boat spewing great arcs of water, Mount Rainier and other local landmarks. Above that is a depiction of the moon landing, an event I've cherished since witnessing it live on TV in 1969. It's very detailed, taken from NASA photos. We threw in an image of the Sputnik in the background to symbolize the space race and on the underside is Neil Armstrong's footprint in the lunar dust. My right sleeve, from wrist to shoulder and all the way around is a series of koi fish with raindrops hitting the surface of the water and red maple leaves floating. I'd always wanted tattoos, but got a late start, mortgage, kids etc. taking up my time and money. When I finally did get started I had a lot of catching up to do and a lot of ideas. I'm good friends with my tattoo artist, Ken Neubert and we've collaborated on all of the designs. He does beautiful work and it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. I also find it pretty addictive and will get more as time and money allow.

I don't have great pictures of the tattoos, but here are a couple of my drawings that led to the ink:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Cleanskin here - but admire quality work - of which there is little from what I see. Son has a fish on his forearm - when he wiggles his fingers, the fish "swims"!
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Chicks dig scars, got plenty of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:36 pm

These things are expensive, are they ?
How do these 'artists' charge ?
Have a good day.
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:58 pm

They charge by the hour and it takes many hours over several months to do a full sleeve. I think on the koi piece we averaged about four hours at a time and did ten sessions with at least two or three weeks in between to heal, sometimes longer depending on Ken's and my schedules, my finances etc. That one ended up costing around $3500 and took almost a year to complete. Still when you consider a performance citation in Victoria is about three grand, I guess it's all relative.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:36 pm

I have one that I designed above my ankle on the side. It's the same as my avatar "Peace Under Fire"
I got it for my 60th birthday. I'm done.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:55 am

The difference in work is instantly recognisable although colour and definition with fade and blur over time. The full sleeve is a major decision and I can see why it would cost as much as it does with the time involved.

Mine are both hidden by a t-shirt and this suits me. I can see how this can easily become addictive and particulary have noticed over here how things have really taken off. It seems popular to have your childrens names in decorative script on inner forearms and I am seeing lots of people having designs on their necks.

I have always been impressed by the Japanese designs running back in history to the Samurai etc, but it is all a step too far for me. I can see the attraction of having a one off if you are able to design and draw yourself.

Ruth has an infinity symbol on her wrist and a small tribal one on her shoulder and they suit her well. Neither of us have plans for anymore............

Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:37 pm

A tattoo artist up the road from me charges 70 quid an hour and he's booked up for months in advance....speaks for itself really, my lads had quite a bit of work done.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Ain't got none.
Never wanted any as they don't improve your looks even on a woman IMO.
Having said that, I can see the meaning of having one if you lose someone dear, that sort of thing...
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Ken does beautiful work, he's done a couple for Landman too. (On Pete's recommendation.)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tattoos..........   Today at 1:51 am

Back to top Go down

Tattoos..........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum