GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Brake and clutch upgrade

Go down 
+9
Pete Roper
wardest
beetle
odder
Josh.C
FreshEgg
Steak
mark111
Charlie J
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

Brake and clutch upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Has anybody upgraded their brake or clutch master cylinders to the radial type. Obviously they would be more expensive than original equipment , but do you reckon they are worth it? I'm also thinkin about replacing the hoses and will use factory stuff unless any body has advice about superior stuff. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:26 pm

I've looked into this. It's not cheap but I'd still like to do it eventually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:12 pm

I stole a Brembo radial master cylinder off a crashed Yamaha R1, works brilliantly. (added 4 spot/4 pad calipers off a 999R at the same time)
The brake light switch has identical terminals, coz it's a Brembo, Doh!
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Does anyone have the info for the correct size/stroke for the radial type master cylinders.

I am back in Japan again for a month and have access to stuff on display. It would be a fun excercise to do the shopping and check the prices

See the darkened recesses " Only in Japan "

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:32 am

Oooh!
Would a group buy be on the cards for the down under crew?
I'd be interested in a Brembo radial clutch master.

As for something different, I want standard type hollow chrome mirror stalks, with the clear brake hose as my reservoir shoved up inside.
That way I have no ugly fluid canisters wobbling around in the breeze.
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:54 am

Don't bother with Brembo or Accossato, have a look at Nissin as used on a lot of the Jap bikes.
Cheaper to purchase well made and parts are readily available to rebuild them if you need to.
Waste of time for the clutch as it offers no real advantage in my opinion but work well on the front brakes.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 am

Charlie J wrote:
Has anybody upgraded their brake or clutch master cylinders to the radial type.  Obviously they would be more expensive than original equipment , but do you reckon they are worth it? I'm also thinkin about replacing the hoses and will use factory stuff unless any body has advice about superior stuff. Cheers

Jin in Seattle (FreshEgg here in the ghetto) has done it. You might want to ping him a PM if he doesn't happen onto this thread.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:34 am

I'm after more feel. The standard GRiSO front brakes are more than enough for me with regards to stopping ability. I don't need more feel, but I'd like it.
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:41 pm

Been thinking about the brake mc as well. HH pads were a good start. Brembo RcS is over $400 and you may need a two cable setup. Appears you loose the stock mirror mount as well..
Is it 18MM?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Mirror mounts are no big issue, the handle bar 'C' clamp with mirror post can also be purchased as either a Brembo or Ducati part. Getting the correct mirror stalk thread pitch is the trick.
Back to top Go down
FreshEgg
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FreshEgg

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Dammit. Had a whole photo essay for you guys but it disappeared upon send.

Spec is:
Clutch = 16 RCS
Brake = 19 RCS.

You also need:
2 ea. HEL Radial MC adapter kit to use stock banjo fittings. The Brembo MC is optimized for axial fitting.
Brake switch for clutch lock-out circuit.

Spent about a grand USD from Guzzitech. Cheaper on EBay, if not counterfeit.
Performance is phenomenal. Everyday braking is done with 1-finger with OEM Pads. The gnarly early clutch is also manageable now. Where I was developing pre-blisters in serious twisties (i shit you not!) the clutch is now manageable.

Spendy but i would recommend w/o reservations.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:04 pm

The brake faerie (who looked a lot like Roper) was good to me and I installed a Brembo radial master cylinder last night. I had a little issue in that 'cos I have Mana bars I had to remove my 12mm risers so the brake line would reach. Curse!

Not sure what to do about mirrors. Might try bar ends.  scratch

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Salscal likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Cool. Please let us know how it goes. Though looks like you're still missing some critical parts at the front there.

If you didn't want bar ends, I think Rizoma have universal mirror adapters if you wanted to go Rizoma. Surely there are cheaper alternatives though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Here is a link to some cheap and nasty 'C' clamps. Don't know if the bolt holes are the correct distance apart, I bought a pair of OEM Ducati (Brembo) clamps for about AUD$65 from the local dealer. Thread dia/pitch was different to my stock Guzzi mirrors so then bought a pair of Chinese mirrors.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 pm

It's too bad the rcs mounts to the bar vertically. If it was horizontal you could pick up the c clamp with mirror mount like the tuono. They have the same thread pitch as aprilia and guzzi use same mirror. Some BMW and Ktm may as well.

Btw: thanks for the info freshegg
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks Wayne. The other consideration is the type of mirrors to use. The gynecological speculums I like are low profile, so there will be clearance issues with the reservoir if I mount the adapters on the inside of the cylinder. If I move the cylinder further in and mount the adapters betwixt the switch block and the cylinder, the position of the lever becomes an issue. I could go back the Aprilia mirrors I have I suppose.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Edit ,
This should work. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks odder. Found the same locally. $24.95 shipped.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Mark
Which model and dimension MC did you use?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Mick,

It's the 19RCS.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:10 am

Somewhat vexed. Went for a little ride today. I could best describe the brake feel as wooden. No feel at all. Pulled up quick, so definitely more power, but I'm at a loss with the regard to feel. The stock MC felt better. Vexed.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:02 pm

I thought the 19 RCS was adjustable? Maybe you're on the "power" config?

Quote :
The revolutionary aspect of the Brembo RCS19 Brake Mastercylinder is the ability to choose between the 19x18 and 19x20 configuration. If you have read about Brembo Master Cylinders, you will know what these numbers mean and that there is a trade-off between the two pivot configurations. Not to say that either configuration is bad, but the rider had to choose between varying degrees of feel and power. Now the rider can change the configuration to suit their needs. No more compromises!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Interesting.

I actually gave Mark the RCS19 because I'd sadly come to the conclusion that any further improvements I need to make should be based on improving my ride comfort rather than performance and I have to admit that I have reached that stage of my life where both my eyesight and reactions/judgement are nowhere near as good as they were twenty years ago and they weren't crash-hot back then. Quite simply the stock brakes, with HH pads in, are more than adequate for me, in fact since I rarely use the brakes much they are probably overkill! It makes me wonder if the much vaunted improvement may be as much wishful thinking as any real practical advantage. Like so many things, we all like bling, but sometimes simply buying something will cloud our judgement. I'm as guilty as anyone of this.

What I will be very interested in are the Matris upgrades to the forks. Mine have been re-valved and oiled and work very well but I'd sacrifice some precision for comfort at this time. Not that they are overly harsh but with the osteo in my hands really giving me gyp I'd really like something more compliant.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:17 pm

D'oh! Yes. It was in the 'power' (20) position. I've adjusted it to 'feel' (18) and will try again.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Can we see a pic or two ?
Is there any special hardware required to fit the brake lines to the new MC ?

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake and clutch upgrade   Brake and clutch upgrade Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Brake and clutch upgrade
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next