12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Moto What?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NorthernProducer
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:45 am

I just finished my August issue of Cycle World magazine and found the article by Peter Jones quite interesting (funny?). Sorry...no link available yet, assume it requires an online subscription. In his article (page 34 of the mag) titled MOTO WHAT? [Weirdo and Wallflowers of Two Wheels], he first singles out Moto Guzzi as one of the Weirdo motorcycle brands. Here is a quote from the article:

"There are different levels of questionable choices when it comes to motorcycles. I'd have to put Moto Guzzi at the upper level of that scale, being a brand that normal people almost might want to own but not quite....There's too much to admire about Moto Guzzi motorcycles to not want them to succeed, but they're just a bit too strange for the masses."

Peter goes on to discuss other Italian brands' weirdness, but finishes with a comment that the "new Guzzi V7 Racer is pretty dang cool looking".

So, what do you think about being singled out as one who likes weird motorcycles?
Back to top Go down
little750
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:39 am

Fine by me.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:57 am

NorthernProducer wrote:

So, what do you think about being singled out as one who likes weird motorcycles?

I'd think myself in good company.  Wink

Bill

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:01 am

These sorts of rubbish columns are pushed out regularly as a reminder to manufacturers to buy more advertising. Written by self aggrandising idiots they're not even worth hanging off a nail on the back of the dunny door. Their only real benefit is that they tend to scare off needy whiners so I don't have to put up with them in the shop.

Pete
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Well said, Pete. My thoughts exactly!
Back to top Go down
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:44 pm

NorthernProducer wrote:
...they're just a bit too strange for the masses."

Although I am very happy that I am not part of "the masses", in all honesty I just do not understand this statement. What exactly is so strange about MG bikes? They look quite normal to me. I have seen some much stranger looking Hondas and BMWs.

In fact I do not understand that not more people buy MG bikes. Their quality is as good or better as other brands, they are not more expensive than others, they have a nice design-aura, they sound like no other, and they ride superbly. Their only downside is the low number of dealers.  If only Piaggio would invest in more dealers, perhaps they would sell more bikes.
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:08 pm

NorthernProducer wrote:

I choose to interpret it as the highest form of compliment. Some of my best friends are weird.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:47 pm

I don't see anything weird about Guzzi's, or their owners.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Photo taken after I binned me mates KDX in a creek, about 30 seconds into a ride.

Guzzi's aren't weird, out of 45 bikes I've had 6 Guzzi's. Nobodyelse makes anything that interests me currently, Bella floats my boat.

Last edited by ghezzi on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:53 pm

Whatever floats 'YOUR' boat, who gives a rats arse about what someone who has a deadline to meet thinks.
Caoi
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:25 pm

I file this stuff into the same box: people who think Harley's are the only real motorcycle, Ducati riders with immaculate leathers with unscraped knee scrapers, all BMW riders, squids and Can-Am Spyder owners. All quickly forgotten about.
Back to top Go down
WAKEY
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Moto Guzzi weird    Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:35 pm

HI Grisoers,

I don't think id'e call a Moto Guzzi Weird, I think there more uneek, out there and that's probably why i bought one, iv'e always had something a bit different to bloke down the road, although i must say the GRiSO is most out there ride iv'e ever owned and i love it, iv'e had two people come straight out and say i don't like them when i was telling them what ide bought. but when they saw the bike in the flesh i could tell they were envious. No way there Weird.

Wakey.
Back to top Go down
http://sw57@bigpond.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:23 pm

No, not weird - special - just like their owners...
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:35 pm

I've heard guys in the local Triumph club say Italian bikes in general are weird. It seems many riders have just the one brand they are loyal to, and dismiss all others. I've never understood it myself. I suppose it's just easy and convenient to be narrow-minded. I've owned Italians, Brits, Germans and Japs. They're all great in their own unique way. Nothing weird about any of them. I think the writer of that mag piece should find a new line of work. He's certainly not a motorcycle enthusiast.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:26 pm

I have a guy who parks next to me at work. One day he showed up on a new Yamaha, some sort of a vertical twin with Ducatiish looks, lots of fake carbon fiber weird angles etc. Sort of looked like a Transformer. I asked him about it and he said he did a lot of research and this was the perfect bike according to the spec sheets. Indeed it had more horses, was lighter and had lots of computer stuff the GRiSO doesn't have. About a month later I saw a different bike with his cover on it, I lifted the cover and it was a BMW R1200R! He told me the Yamaha was "boring and cheesy, no soul", couldn't love the thing. He really loves that beemer. The BMW is almost the same specs as the GRiSO.

The Yamaha is up for sale...
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:28 am

Street wrote:
NorthernProducer wrote:

I choose to interpret it as the highest form of compliment. Some of my best friends are weird.

I agree.. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:18 am

When i sold my old bike and got the GRiSO............it was like coming home.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:22 am

I'm kind of glad guzzis are overlooked in general by ninety odd percent of motor cycle buyers.
Back to top Go down
GrisoGhost79
Montanarolo
Montanarolo

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:37 am

Pfft.

Thats a sound of derision.

Want weird?

Honda NM4

All cock-eyed BMW's, shit needs to be symmetrical. I won't mention the "RgrisoT" or the "SmultistradaXR" (come on BMW, stop browsing other manufacturers for your designs)

and for shits and giggles lets throw the fairing from one of the most beautiful super bikes in production onto a harley 48....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sometimes you just wish you could "unsee" things.
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:03 pm

There are different levels of questionable choices when it comes to motojournalists . I'd have to put Peter Jones at the upper level of that scale, being a motojournalist that avid bikers almost might want to take seriously but not quite....There's too much to admire about Peter Jones to not want him to succeed, but he's just a bit too narrow for real riding enthusiasts.

Razz

Appreciate the context to your previous avatar Ghezzi - the pic. makes perfect sense, cheers! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moto What?   Today at 11:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Moto What?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: