12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

old farts forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: old farts forum   Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:13 pm

G'day all
Just realized, most of us are 'getting on'.
I am 62, nearly 63.
Some are older, and most over 50 from what I can see.
I recon our average age is somewhere near 55?
Why is this so, you would think that the mighty GRiSO would be the stage for the younger ? Or the big HD sales pitch winning over MG?
Or is it an affordability thing, I suppose looking back for me I had school shoes and fees for the kids, ect ect and the GRiSO had to wait.
Or, are we just going thru our 'mid life crisis' thingy?
Keep smilin all
Age gets us all eventually !!!
Or, are we just as old as we feel ?, with this in mind somedays I must be 75 and others mid thirties !!
What's your thoughts ?
Ciao
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:21 pm

Go and visit Wildguzzi! Most of them were born before the end of the Triassic! Very Happy

Young blokes always want 'More Power' even though you can rarely use it on the road. If I was thirty I'd probably have a Tuono! By the time you're our age most people have grown out of the 'Gotta have the biggest' mentality and are more interested in something that suits them. GRiSO ticks all the boxes for me.

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Not following the crowd requires a certain wisdom and appreciation of what really makes a bike great. I'm 43 and most of the guys my age or younger that I know are on Harleys or sportbikes. GRiSO is for the discriminating few that have arrived at motorcycle Nirvana. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Peaceman
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:55 pm

I am 46, just a youngster.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:14 pm

1957 model here, always had a penchant for something/anything different to the crowd. Guzzi struck a cord when I was young, couldn't afford one until I was 25. Owned many other brands in between my 6 Guzzi's, still ride a 2V and can't see anything else in the garage this side of Gold Lotto.

Guzzi's tick all the boxes for me too. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I love being the 'ol fart on the dunger that can keep up with the young punks on their crotch rockets, (as long as its all corners and no straights).
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:23 am

If my GRiSO were a "midlife crisis," I'll get to 136.  jocolor

Bill

Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:50 am

I'll be pushing 70 next year and still love to hop on the bike for a ride.  It helps that my wife is still into riding (she rides a V7) and understands.  I've owned and ridden so many different bikes (and brands) over the last 55+ years, that I've lost count...even raced off-road for a major Japanese manufacturer for a couple years in the early 70's.  In that timeframe, one learns a lot about what works best (at least for me), provides the most bang for the buck and just plain tickles the fancy when it comes to picking a bike.  For me, the GRiSO does it all at this stage of my life, and I'll keep riding as long as the body holds out.  Now...let's ride!
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:44 pm

41 when I got my GRiSO I'm 45 now, love my GRiSO but the New Tuono 1100 factory has my pants brain in lust...maybe just one more superbike before I'm too slow...

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:54 pm

You never get slow, you just choose to ride slower bikes...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:57 pm

16 is coming up for me - no, wait, that should be 61 (dyslexia - can't hide from it). Lusted after a Le Mans back in the day (probably still do...) and had been looking seriously for 20 odd years when I was told to go and buy what I wanted. Sadly, no Le Mans in production by then, so I got a Sport instead. Now coming up for 8 years in a great "other" relationship.

Probably got another 10 or so years before I scare myself too much - have to go to a V7 then I think...
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:31 pm

beetle wrote:
You never get slow, you just choose to ride slower bikes...

Hmmmm K7 GSXR1000 v GRiSO, I think you have something there...

DT200 slow, SV650 faster, VFR800 Faster , Le-mans 1100 slower , Tuono(origional) faster, madass slower(am i moving), GSXR bloody fast(did time just stop), GRiSO(cool will not worry about speed).

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:42 pm

GRiSO suits my power demands fine.
If I'm still riding when I'm older, something like the v7 would tick the boxes.
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Young 55.Hopefully get 3 times the miles on The Wog Bike.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:48 pm

I'm 32 now and was 27 when I bought my GRiSO. I think there is at least one younger member here though(?).
Back to top Go down
MrBob
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:48 pm

One thing's for sure,,I never feel old on my GRiSO!
Back to top Go down
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Josh.C wrote:
I'm 32 now and was 27 when I bought my GRiSO. I think there is at least one younger member here though(?).

I guess maybe I'm the baby around here at 23. I've owned fast bikes, and had an RSV4 as a demo most of last summer, and frankly I prefer the power output and especially the delivery of the GRiSO. It's certainly fast enough, especially in terms of roll on acceleration from quasi-legal speeds to be entertaining and it doesn't leave me feeling like I was inevitably going to end up in jail, like my last bike did. haha. Frankly I think that liter bikes like that RSV4 I had are pretty much unusable on the sort of tight, narrow, often dirty twisty roads I ride around here. Couldn't be happier with the guzzi.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:18 pm

KevinEmpire wrote:
Josh.C wrote:

I guess maybe I'm the baby around here at 23. I've owned fast bikes, and had an RSV4 as a demo most of last summer, and frankly I prefer the power output and especially the delivery of the GRiSO. It's certainly fast enough, especially in terms of roll on acceleration from quasi-legal speeds to be entertaining and it doesn't leave me feeling like I was inevitably going to end up in jail, like my last bike did. haha. Frankly I think that liter bikes like that RSV4 I had are pretty much unusable on the sort of tight, narrow, often dirty twisty roads I ride around here. Couldn't be happier with the guzzi.

Couldn't agree more. I traded in a ZX14 for the GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:43 pm

To us real old farts, you two young blokes show wisdom well beyond your years.
I started out on a 250 dirt bike at 17 and then a DT400 by 18, then a CB550 at 19, a CB750 at 20 and eventually an XS1100 Yamaha for my 21st Birthday. Somewhere along the way I crashed the 1100 and had to ride my Dad's CX500 for a month or two. The lighter weight meant it was easier to throw around in the mountains, and the lack of power wasn't a negative in the hills.

I ended with a few bikes in the shed and doing $10 track days (in the early 80's) showed up an interesting phenomina. The smaller the bike I took to the track, the quicker my lap times. I did take my MKIII Le Mans to Lakeside, but costing nearly 5 times my 2nd hand RD350 LC and without insurance, I didn't try too hard. But that RD flogged all my mates on their 900/1100's of the day.

It took me years to realize and accept that I am not related to any of our GP stars, or "the moth"
If you have a moth ball in your left hand, and a moth ball in your right hand, what have you got?
A fuckin big moth!
Mark Marquez is definitely related to that moth.
Back to top Go down
Tassiedevil71
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:28 am

43 - Other than a short dalliance with an RD350 in my uni days I am a relative newcomer.

The GRiSO is for me....but after a low side on a track day about 6 weeks ago I am after a cheaper twin to flog around Symmons Plains (I have my eye on TRX850 - not a twin I know) but lust after a TL1000R as a hero bike (or zero) - maybe one day Smile

Cheers Taz.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:35 am

Taz, Is that a typo? TRX850 is a parallel twin with a stepped crank pin, so it sounds and feels just like a 90 degree v-twin. They have been elevated to icon status now, meaning they are escalating in value, mates got one and knows the models which to avoid/buy, email me if you want to discuss it.

Cheers,
Wayne
Back to top Go down
Tassiedevil71
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:45 am

Thanks Wayne - will do.

I might go and have a look at it on Sunday.

Cheers Taz
Back to top Go down
opc
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 am

I really expected to be the youngest at 44. Glad to see younger riders appreciating the GRiSO. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Fitty four and I have to say, the GRiSO is just the best Fitting bike for me. Like a comfortable pair of jeans. With memories of older Japanese bikes I have owned, I have never had a bad ride, rain or shine Smile
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:36 pm

First time i have been called average at 55!

Love the GRiSO, but then loved all the bikes i have had, but for the first time in a long time, not looking for the replacement yet....
Back to top Go down
gsharris
Squinternotto
Squinternotto

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Just turned 56. I bought my GRiSO a couple of weeks ago and took my first real ride this past Saturday. Even though it has some good company in the garage with a Ducati Diavel, KTM 1190 Adventure and a couple of '74 Norton's, I think the GRiSO will be getting preferential treatment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: old farts forum   Today at 1:54 am

Back to top Go down

old farts forum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: