12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Motorcycle Jackets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Motorcycle Jackets   Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:07 pm

What's your favourite motorcycle jacket and why?
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Haven't got one yet but I'm in line for new leathers from Jackson Racing.
Specializing in custom fit of the "veranda over the toy shop", in kangaroo skin etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:58 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Haven't got one yet but I'm in line for new leathers from Jackson Racing.
Specializing in custom fit of the "veranda over the toy shop", in kangaroo skin etc.

Interesting, I've been putting together my ideas for a custom Rooskin jacket from Jackson Racing. That's actually why I posted this topic. Have you heard good things about his work? I like what I've seen on the website.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:23 pm

When my missus retired from the police service she did not hand back in her police issue Stagg leather jacket so we removed all the badgeing and I love the thing.
Cheap too.
Ciao
Back to top Go down
Tassiedevil71
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:53 pm

On my last trip to Sydney I made sure that I made the effort to get over to Motociclo to try on a couple of the Jackson jackets. I really like the styling of the Roadmaster and the 70's charm of the Monza and plan to get one tailor made at some point.

Both appeared to be very well made and had different fits. For handmade in Australia I think they represent excellent value and all have modern CE rated armour. The UK made Lewis Leather jackets are more than twice the price and no armour.

The roo leather in significantly more expensive than the standard cow leather and has a different fall to it. It is not as thick but offers the same or superior abrasion resistance.

I think the Roo leather suits the Roadmaster more, as it a version of the classic Belstaff wax cotton and because of it lighter weight etc.

Just my 2cents.

Cheers Taz.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:55 pm

I've only seen the website, apparently its a small family business run from a remote location but they ride Guzzi's, so they must be good people, right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Cheers, Taz. That's very helpful. I like the Monza and am considering getting a custom version made, as there are a few additions and changes I'd like (mostly different pocket arrangements).

The only thing I wonder about with the Roo skin is if it's as warm as thicker leathers. What do you reckon?

A lot of the off-the-rack jackets I like (Lewis Leathers, Schott, Aero) use horsehide, which is apparently quite thick and lasts a long time.

ghezzi wrote:
...they ride Guzzi's, so they must be good people, right?

That's what I was thinking. Also their "Won-se" looks/sounds like it's been designed by a real motorcyclist. So I'd guess the jackets and gloves should work well too.
Back to top Go down
Tassiedevil71
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:11 am

Hi Josh, I am not sure on the thermal properties of the Roo. I'd say the liner would do most of the job.

Longevity wise, these will most likely last as long as you want them to..... Quality Australian tanned hides not the cheap imported ones with dubious tanning processes.

I'd give Motociclo a call. I think it was Nicole that I have spoken to on several occasions. She was very plain speaking. When I asked her why Lewis Leather were so expensive, instead of going on about the quality and the virgin cows they were made from she just said "hype and the Ramones" or something similar and she went on to mention that they had no armour at all.

Cheers Taz
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:12 am

I have a waxed cotton jacket, got it over thirty years ago, its that worn that the label inside has come off, its not a Belstaff but was made in Scotland and its still brilliantly waterproof despite the patina of age. I like to wear it in summer on the Guzzi or Buell, or in winter if I'm on the trail bike. It wouldn't help you if you had a spill, but none of us want to go down anyway.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:16 am

I have a heavily armoured leather Alpinestars sports style jacket.This jacket is about 9 years old and has seen me through all sorts of uk weather. It is very comfortable. And also a Segura Classic textile that is a lot lighter but still offers good weather protection including a good thermal zip in section.

Have just found over the years that being comfortable with what you are wearing means an awful lot on a bike. So good that technology has moved on from some of the older stuff we used to wear. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 pm

I like the Montana from BMG (British Motorcycle Company) I dropped a few hints a year ago and my three boys bought it for me for Fathers Day Very Happy  Thumbs Up real nice leather and the fit is spot on.

The website is actually from the US,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:37 pm

My overall favorite is my Schott classic leather jacket. I can wear it on the GRiSO the ST3 and just about anything else I choose to ride. However it's a winter only jacket, but I live in Arizona and winter is a relative term. Much of the time I wear a genuine Barbour waxed cotton, no armor but it does have a 1964 ISDT patch on the left breast pocket and a big picture of McQueen on the inside. It breathes pretty well even in warm weather.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Guzzi Cat wrote:
I like the Montana from BMG (British Motorcycle Company) I dropped a few hints a year ago and my three boys bought it for me for Fathers Day Very Happy  Thumbs Up real nice leather and the fit is spot on.

I've looked at this one. Gets great reviews and is well priced compared to other similar offerings. I like that style of collar.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Tassiedevil71 wrote:
Hi Josh, I am not sure on the thermal properties of the Roo. I'd say the liner would do most of the job.

Longevity wise, these will most likely last as long as you want them to..... Quality Australian tanned hides not the cheap imported ones with dubious tanning processes.

I'd give Motociclo a call. I think it was Nicole that I have spoken to on several occasions. She was very plain speaking. When I asked her why Lewis Leather were so expensive, instead of going on about the quality and the virgin cows they were made from she just said "hype and the Ramones" or something similar and she went on to mention that they had no armour at all.

Cheers Taz

Thanks again, Taz. I do really like the idea of Roo leather and I definitely want something that'll last a lifetime. That it's the leather of choice of the MotoGP riders, who're sliding/tumbling along at 200+ km/h, says a lot.

I'm not surprised to hear that about the LL gear. Their website has heaps of photos of celebrities wearing their jackets in all sorts of places...other than on a bike. They are good looking and probably high quality jackets but they don't look like serious bike jackets.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:26 pm

And keep in mind the Aldi bike gear sale stuff should be due in about a month. As a spare leather jacket with armour for $AUD99 - 129 (previous year's prices) it is decent. Not as comfortable perhaps as a bespoke one, or those better-made, but for variety and value for money, can't be beaten.

In summer, I like the old Walden Miller. It's old, well-nourished, soft, thick leather, and so very comfortable. But no armour & only 2 pockets, so not good for trips. In winter, I most use a heavy RJays I picked up at a Cash Converters on the Gold Coast - fully lined, Monza-style, with 3 +2 pockets because it's warmer than anything else.

The Moto Guzzi Vintage (made by Dainese) is the most comfortable all-rounder - very good removable lining, 4 + 1 pockets, armour, 'tho the leather is on the thin side. But being the longer style (well below the waist) it doesn't work quite so well with clip-ons and rear sets. Jacket of choice for the Enfields & the stock V7 (which it isn't anymore). And it works - survived an off from a rear tyre blowout with only a few grazes and a sore shoulder. And the price was right - a couple of hundred dollars landed at a time when JSG were selling them at $AUD1150.

Happy hunting,

Mal
Back to top Go down
AOAM
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:21 pm

A bit different than the norm but my jacket of choice is a Dainese Racing D1. It is new but replaced a previous jacket from the same brand. It may be too sporty for a GRiSO but it has all the protection you could ask for and the tall fits me well. Don't wear it off the bike though o else my firearms look like popeye.

I am looking for a heated winter jacket (needed in Wisconsin) so I'll likely pick up a gerbing (sp?) at some point. I have the gloves and the bike wired so why not.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:50 am

Had lots of one piece racing stuff, for racing, but bought a Dainese two piece leather set, more than 20 years ago and it is still used everytime i go out. This only downside is that i ride a lot with kevlar jeans so the jacket now looks slightly older then the leather jeans. After more than 20 years it now looks just nicely worn in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle Jackets   Today at 3:42 am

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle Jackets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: