12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 pm

What kind of lizard? We do have a bonafide herpetologist here in the ghetto.

Ask Landman about his snakes...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:26 am

No idea. There are so many lizards around here, skinks big and small, gecko's out the wazoo and we have several dragons about 25-30cm long hiding in our garden. The eggs are about 13mm long, and there's 5 or 6. I'm thinking not skinks, but a big gecko or dragon maybe.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:44 am

Blue tongue? I'll show Erika. She will know, doesn't mean she'll be right but....

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:20 am

I'm now thinking maybe a Southern Rainbow Skink. My wife has seen a large 150mm skink with red and blue markings frollicking in the garden recently. Although a quick google suggests that there might be too many eggs for a skink, and I can't find any details on egg size. We will try to snap a pic of the wee beastie.
Back to top Go down
Landman
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Any update on the eggs? Have you managed to sneak a pic or two of the critter?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I haven't seen the bugger. The minister for war & finance has, and I've asked her to alert me when she spies it, so I can snap a photo.

When checking them today, all have hatched except one, which I sadly presume won't be.  Sad 

Back to top Go down
Landman
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:29 pm

If the others have hatched you can safely cut the remaining egg open with a small pair of scissors. You don't want to pull the little guy out, you just want to make a very small slit. If he's alive and wants to stay in the egg he still can - if he's dead you certainly aren't going to do any harm.
From the photo the egg looks viable, so he may still be okay.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Well, it's been more than a month, and the unhatched egg is still unhatched. Taking Landman's advice, I made a small slit in the egg with a pair of nail scissors. Some clear liquid oozed out, followed immediately by a wriggling skink about 50mm long! He wanted out, and dissappeared into the undergrowth before I could get a pic.

He was one of the typical garden variety skinks, of which there are 1000's in our garden. Damn, those skink eggs are big, given how small the skinks actually are! I wonder why he was still in there? I hope he is alright.

Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Cool.  afro 

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Landman
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:20 pm

very cool! not sure why he would have waited so much longer than the others, but if he managed to run away that quickly I'm sure he'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!   Today at 11:50 am

Back to top Go down

Lizard eggs in my garden! I'm excited!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: