GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe

Go down 
+6
Street
Grisonut
Laker
Canyon Carver
Kinkajou
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kinkajou
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Kinkajou

Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Empty
PostSubject: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:19 am

Good Day everyone,

I decided  it would be interesting to make a comparison  between those 2 bikes.
First who I am:  Been riding for 38 years, racing about anything from enduros to street racing(trials, motocross, vintage, battle of the twins, drag race, ice race etc)  bikes I owned, giro 1200, v7 cafe, eldorado 73(I still own) vespa 65 (still own) suzuki tl 1000r ducati 400, bonneville 70 and 68, commando 73, trial scorpa, trial fantic, ninja 1000r, gsx 1000r, harley drag bike 1200, and about 75 more...I ride my bikes pretty hard and don't like straight lines.

First the V7:  Got the bike new in 2010.  guzzies we pretty much unknown here.  I was expecting much more power than that but the look was awesome!  installed a set of mistral reverse cone without DB as the factory units are sounding like the space shuttle from the jetson.  Also on those mufflers, the stock one are plated so cheap that they scratch by looking at them!  The mistrals were sending great but had a few backfires while slowing down.  Talking about chrome, everything plated on the V7 is cheap.  it is either plastic or so cheap it flakes with the pressure washer (my shocks started peeling in weeks)  The bike had a lot of road presence in matt avocado!  everybody was asking what year it is and when you answer 2010 they were just walking away without adding anything...pretty embarrassing.  an other low point of the V7, the seat and the ergonomics:  the seat is among the worst I ever had beside trial bikes (no seat)  the 2 seater was even worst.  enough for my wife to make up excuses not to come or to use her car.  The riding position is also on the cramped side (Im only 5,9) low clip ons (okay, I get it its a cafe) and the foot pegs feels like they are wrong...I would be more comfy with rear sets.  all in one, that bike is more of a bar hopper.  anything more than 2-3 hours away will be torture.  Now the brakes:  Okay again, I get it, it is an entry level bike but don't get fooled by the brembos, they are el cheapo components that are fine for commuting and following the speed limits.  then, the suspension: entry level again.  I know, upside down fork would detract with the look but at least, better springs would be appreciated and better shocks at the rear too!  Last but not least, the engine and tranny:  performance as I said is disapointing  to be gentle...that bike should have a V11 or a GRiSO motor and I would still own it.  If you are into computing and bar hopping its totally fine.  then the tranny.  as with everything old guzzi, its having that clunky sound with every gears and there is a huge Neutral between neutral and second gear.  Conclusion, the V7 is a good vintage comuter, but don't expect much more from it.  sold it after 20000km without issues.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And Now the GRiSO!!!  Got the GRiSO used, 2 years old in 2015 at 4500 Km so almost new and totally stock.  That same day, I installed a mistral high pipe (sorry and behold sight of the trash can and its sound)  right away, sound improver not to talk about looks!!!  First impression, the GRiSO to me is sweeting testosterone and muscle but funny enough, it is invisible on the road...nobody but the guzzi lovers notice that bike and that is fine for me.  everything also sweet premium components!  top of the line brembos, top of the line showa suspension, carc bevel box, stainless exaust, pro taper handlebars, mirrors that don't vibrate, and that gorgeous looking motor in your face!!!!  Obviously, the power is out of this would compared to to the V7(the point of that comparison is not to race a 750 agains a 1200) but as a former racer, I would still like to have around 200hp (okay, I know it is a guzzi but Im allowed to dream still)  it is more than enough and is really linear with a bunch of torque.  The tranny is also a great improvement no clunky sound except from neutral and it is 6 gears.  suspension is fully adjustable and is on the firm side witch is fine for my riding style.  Brakes are without any reproach .  even if its around 100 pounds heavier, the bike feels pretty nimble and is fine in traffic.  handling is also rock solid and allows you to mess with jap bikes on canyon roads.  Confortwise, the GRiSO is a much bigger bike and the riding position is not as cramped.  the handlebars come in hands naturally and the footpegs too.  On really long distance (10 hr +) the footpads could be lower but you would loose cornering ability, your choice.  now, the seat.  Although it is not the best, it is far better than the V7!  for a few hours it is actually comfortable and my wife wants to come for rides now.  For longer rides, i still have to use the sheep skin.  (I know it looks stupid but its comfy and adds 4-5 hours to your seat!)  In conclusion, so far I done around 10000km with the GRiSO in 2 months and I wished I purchased that bike first as it was the same price a a new V7.  Hopefully I did not insult V7 owners as it is not the point and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:00 am

Thanks for the opinions and evaluation of the two models. I was attracted to the V7's looks and considered one, but having sold a Thruxton, knew I would not be happy with the performance. I had no idea the plating and such was so bad on the cool looking V7.
This is really good info for new Guzzi prospective buyers to have. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Laker
Biondino
Biondino
Laker

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:38 am

Damn good comparison and write up. This should answer a lot of questions for folks. You don't look old enough to have been riding for 38 years. Maybe I'll lose some weight and shave my head and look young again too!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:34 pm

I did test ride the V7 for a good bit and while I knew what to expect power wise, I felt that the bike vibrated a lot when you rev it up.
The riding position was ok as I'm not a tall dude (5.7').
I understand that the Racer version has a better suspension and brakes but I'm not sure.

Now, I'd like to test the V7II as it's improved a lot (smooth 6spd etc...) but in a best case scenario, it's not a bike for me regardless.
The wife is interested in it to fuck about in town mostly...
Back to top Go down
Kinkajou
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Kinkajou

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi Tim, yes, 38 years, started with a honda ct50 and my brother running behind keeping the balance!
and yes, showing hides some white Laughing

Pascal, you are also right, they vibrate a lot if you rev them and to go highway speed they need to rev. and my bike was the cafe, not the racer. in my case it was clip on bars, different seat and mufflers and no passenger pegs and green colour. the racer were a bit upgraded like you said. as for the v7 II i will have to get my buddy to lon me one for a while as he is probably loosing business because of me rabbit so maybe I can compare the 3 of them now?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:51 pm

I actually have a buddy that bought one for his wife so I'll be checking it out soon.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:01 pm

My wife, Esther loves her 2014 V7 Stone. Granted it's not the cafe model and in fact has very little chrome, but she's been extremely satisfied with it. Me, I'll stick with the GRiSO!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:32 pm

The 2015 is the year with ABS, 6 spd and all the upgrades right?
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:44 pm

The 2015 does not have the ABS, perhaps the 2016 will. My understanding is that all euro bikes have to have it by next year and that the current design of the GRiSO may not allow for it based on what I have read around here. GRiSO may need some redesigning???

Don't know...not sure. Anyone else have any info. on this?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:13 pm

V7-II has ABS and TC. I picked one up from a customer about an hour and a half ago and the ABS works spectacularly well as I found out when some fucking flog in a company car pulled out in front of me on Canberra Ave while chatting with his squeeze rather than driving!

Underpants didn't fare quite as well as the bike. Good thing it has a vinyl seat!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 pm

Pee-ewe!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:24 pm

OK so 7V-II are 2016 models I take...
Pete, glad you saved your skin!
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:00 pm

? comparing the V7 and the GRiSO is kinda silly don't yea think Rolling Eyes
both are great bikes but.............

SOrry but i do not get it  scratch
my 2 cents
Keener
Back to top Go down
Kinkajou
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Kinkajou

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Keener,

I agree, the GRiSO and the v7 are 2 totally different animals one is an entry level bike and the other is an exotic machine but you may be tempted by the nice look of the v7 as I did and waste a few years riding an entry level bike thinking it will be a cafe...
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:49 am

Kinkajou wrote:
Hi Keener,

I agree, the GRiSO and the v7 are 2 totally different animals one is an entry level bike and the other is an exotic machine but you may be tempted by the nice look of the v7 as I did and waste a few years riding an entry level bike thinking it will be a cafe...

OK, I now also own a '12 V7 Racer along with my '12 GRiSO, so I can testify to the fact that their is no comparison between the two models. The fasteners on V7 are already rusting and the clutch adjustment screw at he bars has snaped in two. I'm waiting for a new one to show up. Paint chipping off the clip-ons and kick stand. The GRiSO has no such issues with quality of parts so far.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Think they need to sort their shit out with the V7,a good looking bike let down by a puny motor and quality issues
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:46 am

the V7 is Guzzis money bike, sell a shit load with high margin and go to the bank...
it is what it is...by design unfortunately ....
my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:19 am

I would think that the sort of riding one wished to do with the V7 would make a considerable difference in reviews, especially WRT power.

For example, I just did a romp on the GRiSO on a favorite back road that starts ½ mile from my home.  

The vid somehow makes that stretch seem straighter than it is, but you get the idea, especially in the last minute or so.

BTW, Pete rode it on his C14 two-up with Jude and pushed me when I thought I was going fast.  Embarassed

Anyway, it gets little traffic and the GRiSO and Norge seem to me to "big" to enjoy it and the many similar ones here.

I often think that a V7 would be perfect back there. Or that yellow Royal Enfield Cafe at the local Guzzi and RE dealer that whispers lines from the Kama Sutra to me when I look at it.   Wink  With either, if anyone wants to go faster, I'll just wave 'em by.  

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:25 am

Canyon Carver wrote:

OK, I now also own a '12 V7 Racer along with my '12 GRiSO, so I can testify to the fact that their is no comparison between the two models. The fasteners on V7 are already rusting and the clutch adjustment screw at he bars has snaped in two. I'm waiting for a new one to show up. Paint chipping off the clip-ons and kick stand. The GRiSO has no such issues with quality of parts so far.

Damn, not good news...
The wife really wants a V7 for the in-town riding and the light weight aspect of it but if that bike is that shitty in quality, we'll pass.
Maybe the the 2016 models are better in that regard?
In any case now, time will tell if there is improvement or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe   Before you Buy:  Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Before you Buy: Comparing the GRiSO 1200 se and the V7 Cafe
Page 1 of 1