12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

2nd bike deal done yesterday.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:50 am

So I have been looking for a second bike.

Needed to be able to just head off touring 2 up on this one and also commute the short 7 mile trip to work when I want to. This I believe is no good for the GRiSO, so that will be treated to solo riding with me clearing life's cobwebs.

I checked out all sorts of stuff but anything with me leaning forward was exposing Ruth on the back to too much wind pressure on her helmet and giving her neck pain. Goodbye, Aprillia futura, Ducati ST's, Honda Blackbirds.

Went to a dealership and looked at a 2004 TDM with 26K on Saturday. Rode it, liked it, and Ruth was comfy. Dealer wanted too much and it was not in the condition or history that would make me pursue it, so we walked. But this was a good excercise and now i could look privately.

Just done a deal on a TDM900 2007 18K 2 owners.
Red/Black
PR3's
Barkbusters
Oxford heated grips
Rear hugger
Bar risers
Racks/panniers
Rear Givi rack [ have a Givi maxia 55 ready to go on this ]
Touring screen included
Battery Optimiser with sale
New DID chain and sprockets
All keys inc Red
Full stamped service history
Unmoested with original exhausts still fitted

The guy had put it on ebay with 1 bad picture and that was turned sideways. But when i read the description it was really detailed. I rang him and asked for emailed photo's. These arrived and the bike is in great condition and has been loved. The owner is a AA mechanic over here and had bought it to tour. He has to sell due to a neck injury and had trouble posting the advert on ebay due to issues with his ipad.

All being well, I view then collect on Saturday.

This is the colour scheme.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:19 am

Rode my cousin's 2009 one of those from Reading to Bewdley & back last year. A comfortable and easy rider. I took it easy - my first ride after breaking my collarbone - but it did the highways and the byways with aplomb.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:25 am

MalG wrote:
Rode my cousin's 2009 one of those from Reading to Bewdley & back last year. A comfortable and easy rider. I took it easy - my first ride after breaking my collarbone - but it did the highways and the byways with aplomb.

That's good to hear Mal. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:31 am

Can't go wrong with a good Yam. Top o' the Japs, if you ask me. Nice colors too.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:08 am

LBC Tenni wrote:
Can't go wrong with a good Yam. Top o' the Japs, if you ask me. Nice colors too.

Cheers LBC - my last Yam was a RD125...........a while ago! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:13 am

TDM, a greatly underrated bike but unfortunately it has also been appropriately labelled. It aint no Guzzi ........

TEDIUM
the state or quality of being tedious.
"the tedium of car journeys"
synonyms: monotony, monotonousness, tediousness, dullness, boredom, ennui, uneventfulness, lack of variety, lack of variation, lack of interest, lack of excitement, sameness, unchangingness, uniformity, routineness, humdrumness, dreariness, mundaneness, wearisomeness, tiresomeness, dryness, aridity, lifelessness, colourlessness, featurelessness, slowness, banality, vapidity, insipidity, blandness, prosaicness, jejuneness; More
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:44 am

Yup!

I have my Tenni [ she is staying put ]

I had better change the end cans to louder ones and then i won't fall asleep on longer journeys! Suppose I could always drop the 18'' front down to a 17'' to liven up the handling a bit.

Reckon it will be perfect workhorse around here with all the bl**dy potholes.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:14 pm

nice one Ian, the only one i rode had possibly the worst gear box ever, really heavy and sticky, hopefully you don't have that problem, as they are a decent all rounder.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:24 am

sidrat wrote:
nice one Ian, the only one i rode had possibly the worst gear box ever, really heavy and sticky, hopefully you don't have that problem, as they are a decent all rounder.

If that is the case when I get there I will back off. I am pretty confident that this bike will be fine [ he says ] Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:22 pm

[quote="Blue"]So I have been looking for a second bike.

Needed to be able to just head off touring 2 up on this one and also commute the short 7 mile trip to work when I want to. This I believe is no good for the GRiSO,

Hey Blue, That's a real nice looking TDM and if you buy it I bet you wont be disappointed! A buddy of mine bought one for a second do  all weathers bike and especially on our crappy roads in winter and it has been great and bullet proof. I actually travelled pillion on it when we went over to Silverstone to collect my GRiSO and it wasn't bad at all.
I borrowed it for a trip around Wales earlier in the summer as I hadn't replaced my Fjr yet and my wife is not comfortable riding pillion on the GRiSO, without a back box. She was really happy on the TDM (seat may be a little hard) and I found it to be a good all rounder.
She would have been happy if I bought a TDM for touring but I convinced her that the seat on the Stelvio is much more comfortable  Very Happy  cheers  jocolor
Also the one you're looking at is newer and a real nice colour compared to my buddy s which has had no problems except for a leaking fork seal that we changed before going to Wales.
If you buy it, as we say "Well You May Ware" and have good luck with it. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:53 pm

Cheers for that GC, nice to get a pillions perspective on it. Thumbs Up Already been eyeing

Up some Mivv cans for it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:35 am

A mate had one for years, no problems what so ever. Had non OEM cans,fork cross brace and progressive fork springs and a Wilbers shock for 2 up. The motor is a cracker the 270 degree firing sounds great and they are quite torquie. Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:52 am

GHTE wrote:
A mate had one for years, no problems what so ever. Had non OEM cans,fork cross brace and progressive fork springs and a Wilbers shock for 2 up. The motor is a cracker the 270 degree firing sounds great and they are quite torquie. Enjoy

Cheers GHTE! Going up to West Yorks to get it tomorrow [ 3 hours away ] , so reckon it will give me a chance to get aquainted on the way home. They do sound good with aftermarket cans on. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:12 am

Always liked the TRX850 which looks like it was the ancestor to the TDM
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:14 am

So collected on Saturday after driving up through the Peak district. Was about 180 miles back and all was Golden. 18'' front does not steer as quick as I was expecting. Going to pull the forks up through the yokes a bit. Rear suspension needs tweeking up a couple of clicks as it is too soft for my liking. Standard screen chucks air lightly onto my chest at 80mph and no turbulance around the crash helmet so that works. She sits @ 4500rpm @ 80 in 6th gear. Fuel range is going to be around between 180 / 210miles I reckon. Standard exhausts are eeeerily quiet [ there was one stage on the motorway where all I could here was a bit of wind noise in the helmet through my earplugs - but nowt else!] I am going to ride it as it is, but reckon I will be putting some aftermarket cans on. Nothing too loud and will keep the DB killers in [ just something with a bit more road presence maybe.] This was my first ever go with heated grips......... I likey. Bike also came a centrestand which is a bonus. One thing I really like is that just over the exhausts at the back of the footpegs is a protection plate. This is in just the right position to rest your boot heels on.

Took Ruth out yesterday - all comfy on the back and no need to drop the rear footpegs.

Jobs to do:
Already have some Givi spot lights - so need to decide on either crash bungs or crashbars to mount them on
Mirror extenders
Maybe some Mivv exhausts
Need to get a flat foot extender for the sidestand [ gravel drive & travelling ]

Here it is :
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:53 am

looks Nice Ian Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:15 am

Well I  left work earlier than usual and took the TDM the 'scenic' way home and gave it a good run. It is smooth & quiet [ too quiet for me ] A slightly louder exhaust should give a bit more bite to my senses with the parrallel twin. Got home and adjusted a bit of throttle slack out of it. Then I took the GRiSO out.

Fell in love with the GRiSO all over again. The handling is so very good for a big bike, the thing just talks to you and snarls when you launch out a bend......I bl**dy love how it makes you grin. Before I knew it I was looking for fuel and trying to clean as many bug splats off my visor as I could without riding in a world of SMEAR - Yellow and Green mixed....nice. Realised i was pretty dehydrated so bought a bottle of juice at the garage and then rode back towards home. I stopped in a village called Stanford in the Vale and sat on a bench and just looked at the GRiSO whilst I drank. I was drinking and she was 'tinking'. Mobile rings...''Where are you?'', sitting on a bench having a rest and a drink looking at the GRiSO. ''Oh, no surprises there then! Bad day at work?'' says Ruth. No, just got the calling and well you know........says I. ''I know'' she says. Well invite me next time and grab a bottle of wine on the way home.

Life is good. Smile

Last edited by Blue on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:39 am

Lovely cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2nd bike deal done yesterday.   Today at 1:55 am

Back to top Go down