GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving

Go down 
+8
Grisonut
Daves-i-Know
Oz1200Guzzi
Steak
little750
Tolle09
sidrat
not-fishing
12 posters
AuthorMessage
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Empty
PostSubject: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:34 am

Commuting is tough on my tires even the multi-compound type like the Metzlers I run.  I still end up with a pronounced flat spot after 9,000 miles.

So being a cheap son-of-a-gun I broke out the one handed surefoam rasp, put the GRiSO up on the center stand, started the GRiSO, put it in first and proceeded to flatten out the "shoulders".  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Fifteen minutes later the shoulders are gone and my Metzlers are good for another 2-3,000 miles.

Just being ghetto
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:50 am

really???????
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:45 am

'kinell I'd be made up getting anywhere near 9k out of a back tyre, never mind shaving its bollox albino
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:39 am

9000 miles that's at least two tyres for me.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Increased tire life by shaving rubber off? scratch

What is this upside down world we live in???

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Tharts nor how yu make poorridge!

I shave my tyre the lazy arse way, just ride around lots more corners.
Then when the sides are all gone, do a massive burnout. geek
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Not many curves on my last trip

When you live in a state that is 840 miles long you get used to looooong straights.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:44 pm

rev limiter in top gear would be a possibility on that straight - should be able to see wallopers too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Move house .................... to a state with more mountains, or buy a hardly rideable.
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Hey,not-fishing, where is that stretch of road? I'm going to get down to ride that way someyear

and I would love to know where the 'salt flats' of California are!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:04 pm

not-fishing wrote:
Not many curves on my last trip

When you live in a state that is 840 miles long you get used to looooong straights.

Poppycock!!!

There are metric shit tons of curves just around Folsom and Auburn let alone Tahoe, and all the stuff up Highway 49...

Stay off of I-5 for chrissakes!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:36 pm

Getting 2 to 3 more thousand miles on your tire by taking away more material?
Riiiiiiiiiiiight, I'm sold on that!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:47 pm

only 840 miles... thats less than half way up the Queensland coast!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 pm

840 miles will also get you to the South Australian border, heading west from Brisbane.
Heading east from Perth to the other South Australian border is over 1100 miles, the longest single straight along the Nullabor Plain is 90 miles. Null & Bor are apt descriptions, His Roperness just experienced that.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:49 am

Mind you, 700 miles will get you around Tassie...
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:11 am

I trim me eyebrows,nasal hair, and ear hair [Cos I am 51 and stuff grows in all directions],,.........not getting a calling to do me tyres yet though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm with you Ian. When my tyre (s) are worn, I put new shoes on the old girl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:53 pm

New Shoes?
Now how could the misses complain about that?
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:55 am

Didn't realise that the Romans built roads in the States and Oz cherry
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Daves-i-Know wrote:
Hey,not-fishing, where is that stretch of road? I'm going to get down to ride that way someyear

and I would love to know where the 'salt flats' of California are!

Not in California, actually it is in Nevada.  I went to a little Guzzi Rally there and was the only GRiSO.

Of course if you visit the Desert around 29 Stumps where my boy was stationed you can find lots of long straight roads.  Just make sure you bring plenty of water and watch your gas.  It's a long way between fill-ups out there.

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:41 am

Blue wrote:
I trim me eyebrows,nasal hair, and ear hair [Cos I am 51 and stuff grows in all directions],,.........not getting a calling to do me tyres yet though. Smile

I've taken to weaving my navel lint into dental floss, now that has to be good for the environs tongue
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:21 pm

waterbottle wrote:

I've taken to weaving my navel lint into dental floss, now that has to be good for the environs tongue

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:55 pm

Too much Captain Morgan Ron?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving   Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Being environmentally frugal on tires - shaving
Page 1 of 1