12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cheating on the GRiSO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Cheating on the GRiSO   Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:49 am

so I have a dilemma. I think I want a second bike. Problem is, the GRiSO as I have it set up now, seems pretty damn great to me. Quick hop to the shops, HB Juniors mounted. Weekend solo trip, a bit breezy but done it. Ride like an arsehat thru the city, guilty. 2 up with the wife out to dinner, yep.

I've only been back on the bike 3 years after a 25+ year absence, so I'm calling myself an advanced amateur and I still don't feel like I can put her thru all she's got. Any Philistine can whack the right wrist. So I'm thinking track time. Not to play boy racer, but to increase my skills.

In my mind, if you track, you will eventually crash. That being said, I'd be quite gutted if my GRiSO hit the tarmac on a track day.

I'm a bigger guy at 6'3" 220lbs and the flexibility of granite. I don't think an R6 or I would get along. In fact, I don't even want that because I want something more like my GRiSO.

I was thinking about an older KTM Supermoto, Dorsoduro or even a first gen Tuono.

Then I think I have two bikes that are too similar.  Anyone here ride a big Katoom or first gen Tuono? Either can be had for a song nowdays.

Then I think F'it. Get a Multistrada, Capo or Super Adventure for the touring and when I need hard bags and thrash the GRiSO.

This is more of a 6am coffee rant, but what the hell.
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Birch, as far as track days go, over here the organisers also have bikes you can rent. Dropping it is part of the deal (covered by insurance). That way you can get a feel for a different bike without shelling out first - worth an ask?
Back to top Go down
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:08 pm

What about an older Japanese v-twin sportbike or semi-sport bike of some kind? Suzuki TL1000, Honda VTR1000 (firehawk in some markets I think?) SV1000? There's probably lots more I'm not thinking of.

Any of those should be available for a couple grand if you do a little looking, and the experience you'll gain with them on a track probably translates better to the GRiSO than an inline four supersport of some kind would. And best of all you should be able to use and abuse the heck outta one on a pretty shoestring budget for parts/maintenance/crash repairs etc compared to a Tuono or KTM etc.
Back to top Go down
Evenhanded
Montanarolo
Montanarolo

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:23 pm

I think you should try a first gen Honda Valkyrie.  Shares a lot of the qualities that make the GRiSO great, like riding position and stability, but you can ride it across the planet if you want to as well.  You can get one with under 10,000 miles for around $4-$6K and they are supremely reliable, having a 6 cylinder Honda motor at their core.  I just went from a 98 Valkyrie to a 2009 Road King and sold the Road King in part because it did NOTHING better than the Valkyrie and was 3x the price.  And if I parked it somewhere with other Harley riders I had to look up the vin #'s to make sure I was taking mine...  I actually sold the Roadking specifically to get another Valkyrie but the one that I wanted got away and i couldn't bring myself to buy a lesser one than the one I just had - picky prick I am.  And then a fantastic GRiSO came along and I bought it - it arrived to me on Thursday night...

I'm pretty close to you, being in northern Indiana - I'll keep an eye out my way if you decide what you want.  There is a fantastic Valkyrie in Cincy.  Some pretty nice KTM Super Dukes too but those are just faster, angrier Grisos.  I also happen to know a fellow in Indianapolis selling a 2012 Speed Triple in fantastic condition for a real song - it's bone stock except for a wind screen and has around 6,000 miles. Best sounding motor I've ever heard...

Speaking of Triumph's, a Scrambler would be an awesome stablemate I think.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:37 am

KevinEmpire wrote:
What about an older Japanese v-twin sportbike or semi-sport bike of some kind? Suzuki TL1000, Honda VTR1000 (firehawk in some markets I think?) SV1000? There's probably lots more I'm not thinking of.

Like the RC51...
I'd love to put my hands on one of those for track days because like it's been mentioned by the OP, I hate to go down on the GRiSO and fugg it all up.
Back to top Go down
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:07 pm

friend had an sv1000... Im shotr (5'8") and that bike killed my back after about 15 minutes
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm 5.7 and I'm OK on a RC for at least a couple of hours...
Go figure. scratch
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:53 am

Shhhhhhhhh, I want a different bike too.
Yamaha FZ09
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheating on the GRiSO   Today at 9:52 am

Back to top Go down

Cheating on the GRiSO
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: