12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:43 am

So where I work, we're a Triumph dealer as well as the Piaggio brands, and I've always liked the style of the "modern classic" bikes (Bonnie, thruxton, scrambler etc) and thought they were very pleasant to ride, but lacked excitement. The 865cc twin is smooth and powerful enough for what it is, but unfortunately a little soulless. I've spent a lot of time riding them, but never considered owning one.

Well, this year it looks like Triumph may be changing that. Two new engines (900 and 1200cc), both water cooled and an all new chassis looks pretty promising. They haven't shared any real numbers yet, but they're claiming 55% more torque from the new 1200 than the outgoing 865! I'll be looking forward to riding the new Thruxton R model with real suspension, big brakes and modern tire sizes.

My only worry with the new bikes is that the current air cooled models aren't lightweights by any means (around 500 pounds wet) so hopefully they didn't get too much porkier in the redesign.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 am

Not much.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 am

They look a bit more of the same, at least they've sorted the shape of the timing cover, unlike on the previous models which seemed like they'd sagged in the casting process.
Back to top Go down
Cereal KLR
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:16 pm

In the garage I also have an 04 Thruxton , it has been stone reliable and is easy to swap stuff around to make it fit your style or lack of. As mentioned, it is a pig and I can't help but think these new ones will be 600 pound " racers"

No thanks. Ducati took Triumphs lunch money with their latest Scrambler with more hp and almost 100 pounds less weight.
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Cereal KLR wrote:
In the garage I also have an 04 Thruxton , it has been stone reliable and is easy to swap stuff around to make it fit your style or lack of. As mentioned, it is a pig and I can't help but think these new ones will be 600 pound " racers"

No thanks. Ducati took Triumphs lunch money with their latest Scrambler with more hp and almost 100 pounds less weight.

Reading between the lines your saying Ducati took the hipster's that don't have a ability to weild a angle grinder near a SR500...

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:03 pm

So far so good .........I think Triumph has done what it had to do ....big increase in HP and Torque , even if they are fat , and remember the GRiSO is no lightweight either and they work very well indeed .
So at say @100hp rw and 85 ftlbs (estimate) with a liquid cooled engine at even 540 wet  the bike should  be fast and competitive in the same market as the 1200 GRiSO is now .

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm

keenerkeen07 wrote:
So far so good .........I think Triumph has done what it had to do ....big increase in HP and Torque , even if they are heavy , and remember the GRiSO is no lightweight either and they work very well indeed .
So at say @100hp rw and 85 ftlbs (estimate) with a liquid cooled engine at even 540 wet  the bike should  be fast and competitive in the same market as the 1200 GRiSO is now .
Just saying .....

That's what I'm thinking.

I wouldn't trade the GRiSO for the new Trumpet, but if anything it should now be a competitor in that class with the GRiSO, Beemer 9-T, et al.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:17 pm

KevinEmpire wrote:
keenerkeen07 wrote:
So far so good .........I think Triumph has done what it had to do ....big increase in HP and Torque , even if they are heavy , and remember the GRiSO is no lightweight either and they work very well indeed .
Just saying .....

I wouldn't trade the GRiSO for the new Trumpet, but if anything it should now be a competitor in that class with the GRiSO, Beemer 9-T, et al.

yep and that class will grow .......other mfg will be in there.. and it will I would bet, be the NEXT big thing (Roadster Class ?)
Back to top Go down
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:27 pm

keenerkeen07 wrote:
KevinEmpire wrote:
keenerkeen07 wrote:
Just saying .....

yep and that class will grow .......other mfg will be in there.. and it will I would bet be the NEXT big thing (Roadster Class ?)

Not that my experience matters much for the motorcycle market in general, but I've definitely seen more customers who want a bike with standard ergonomics, and that looks like a "good 'ol fashioned motorcycle" in that 1000-1200cc area, as opposed to the current crop of touring and adv bikes that are so popular.

At the end of the day, I think it's good to see the class expanding, and competition improves the breed!
Back to top Go down
Tassiedevil71
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Thruxton R looks the goods to me. I am a fan of the look of modern sport classics but I'm not a fan of buying a bike in 2015/6 that might as well been built in the 1950's when it comes to its specs. These look like a step in the right direction for Triumph and people will just have to get over the fact that they are no longer built in Britain if they want to buy one.
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Tassiedevil71 wrote:
Thruxton R looks the goods to me. I am a fan of the look of modern sport classics but I'm not a fan of buying a bike in 2015/6 that might as well been built in the 1950's when it comes to its specs.  These look like a step in the right direction for Triumph and people will just have to get over the fact that they are no longer built in Britain if they want to buy one.

OK hadn't been paying attention to triumph since a took a dayton 955 for a test ride in 2000 and found it to be a soft squish thing, now I find out that they are not even British,,,please don tell me santa isn't real ...Globalization slowly and surely fucking everything...

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Without reading everybody else's posts ...................
Pic No.26 - Thruxton R.

Finally a retro cafe racer that comes with Ohlin suspension, full Brembo radial set up and a 17" wheels for a full choice of whatever tyres float your boat.

The V7 Cafe and Ducati scrambler are just "Look at me, look at me" poseur/wannabe/hipster bikes with basic (cheap/poor quality) suspension and braking components. These do not make for a pleasant ride for anybody who wants to travel fast, unless you do heaps of upgrades.

The Thruxton R has the potential to be a great ride, although I don't know its wet weight.
But then I've cut 40kg off the Bellagio and would love a GRiSO to meet up with my grinder. jocolor jocolor

Still wouldn't buy one, got Mandello marrow in me bones. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by ghezzi on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Slow grind or fast grind Wayne?
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Aaagghh! That should be course or fine .................. depends on the humidity.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:39 pm

KevinEmpire wrote:
So where I work, we're a Triumph dealer as well as the Piaggio brands, and I've always liked the style of the "modern classic" bikes (Bonnie, thruxton, scrambler etc) and thought they were very pleasant to ride, but lacked excitement. The 865cc twin is smooth and powerful enough for what it is, but unfortunately a little soulless.

That is exactly what I thought of the 1999 Laverda 750S that I owned. Sigh.
I am so glad I have my GRiSO.

As for the Triumphs; I have not driven one but....
The only one that felt like it had the light weight low CG feel of the Olde Guard was the Bonnie.
The New Bonnie has a similar feel to the '70s bikes
It's the only one of the new ilk I would consider owning.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 am

Looks like all good progress, but a shame they didn't take the opportunity to incorporate a modern suspension setup.
Back to top Go down
Lenz9753
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:53 am

ghezzi wrote:
.................But then I've cut 40kg off the Bellagio and would love a GRiSO to meet up with my grinder.......

Without carbon fibre wheels and an aluminium frame where would you pare away the kilos ?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:40 am

Lenz9753 wrote:
ghezzi wrote:
.................But then I've cut 40kg off the Bellagio and would love a GRiSO to meet up with my grinder.......

Without carbon fibre wheels and an aluminium frame where would you pare away the kilos ?

My Question exactly :-)
Back to top Go down
sidrat
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:42 am

I too like the thruxton, especially the faired verson.

Took on the current Bonneville's for a ride before the GRiSO......i own a GRiSO now, say no more.

But a 1200 version that handled may have tempted me, but like the non retro look of the GRiSO, i am probably a heretic but i am not a fan of the wire wheels on the new ones.
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:16 pm

sidrat wrote:
I too like the thruxton, especially the faired verson.
But a 1200 version that handled may have tempted me, but like the non retro look of the GRiSO, i am probably a heretic but i am not a fan of the wire wheels on the new ones.

True believers of the GRiSO understand the wire wheels are just hipster bait added after sales started to slow down..

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:48 am

I likes me spokes..... i gets to paint em in ACF-50 and sing songs in the garage to myself. I also am not losing tyre pressure........woohooo!

I also was looking at Triumphs before buying the Guzzi. Be happy to 'look' at the new models, but it's not going to sway me. I parked up next to a BMW 9T a few weeks ago and still think the GRiSO looks miles better and holds it's own [ maybe a bit biased ]. I was going to take a picture but it was gone when I got out of the shop. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:10 am

Lenz9753 wrote:
ghezzi wrote:

This is what I've done to my Bellagio;
1. Exhaust, any aftermarket or custom made system (incl headers) will save you 10kg+. Try Beetles Titanium system, its even lighter.
2. Battery. Lithium saved me 5kg.
3. Bellagio had fat steel 'T' bars, changed to alloy bars from a 675 Triumph.
4. Pillion pegs and the heavy steel hangers. Plus I cut the mounting brackets off the frame.
5. Plastic side covers, EFI covers, 4 metal plates along bottom of tank and around steering stem to hide wiring etc. Plus brackets and frame tabs. ALL GONE!
6. Stock rear guard complete, battery/tool box. GONE!
7. Stock indicators replaced with LED's
8. BrakeTech Axis iron rotors. Saved 1.2kg (unsprung/rotational mass). RSV4 uses Grimeca discs that are 500g lighter again.
9. Smaller steel V7 tank.
10. Mirrors replaced with lighter cheap arsed plastic shite from China, still looking for what I really want.
11. Ti bolts. What a Face

Stock Tonti based frame uses high tensile tube frame that appears to have a 3mm wall thickness.
I would love to recreate it in cromoly thin wall tubing.

If you want to build a Ducati, you can get a Titanium frame for under $10k. bounce

Back to GRiSO;
Get a Kevlar fuel cell made, very thin wall so you gain fuel capacity. Even with a heavy carbon outer skin for looks, it will feel like a helium filled balloon.
Beetles Ti exhaust.
Carbon replacement body parts.
Replace pork chops for rear sets etc.
Remove all pillion hardware.
Ohlins FGRT front end.
Billet radial calipers.
Billet radial master cylinders.
Ducati triple clamps with reduced offset (maintains trail when you drop front end15mm & raise rear 30mm, shortens wheelbase, move C of G & weight bias towards front).

Currently looking at a centre hub steer front end/frame made locally, lighter frame and front end than stock Ducati. But the real clincher is the bike is, on average 1 sec faster per corner as tested by Alan Cathcart. For a given speed/radius, it doesn't need to lean as hard to make the turn, or you take a different faster line at a higher speed.
geek I want one wif an 8V.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:03 am

well I should be able to ride a Thruxton R in the spring , a good friend ordered one last week ...
we shall see
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:41 am

Another good way to shed weight which hasn't been mentioned is keep off the pies
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:36 pm

WHAT!
NO PIES?
it took me a lot of years to build the porch over the toy shop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?   Today at 5:28 am

Back to top Go down

What do ya think of the new Triumph Twins?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: