12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Flat Tappet Protection.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:30 pm

I used a product years ago called Pro-Ma MBL8.
A moly based additive with tiny (micron) lead & copper particles that plate on and become the sacrificial wear surface.
My 1.3 litre car's cam lobes appeared to have a golden hue, flogged the living crap out of it for years and the performance never diminished.

I expect some negative feedback here and even a flogging from Mr. Roper, that's OK, but .....................

I only ask because this additive is applied at every oil change and if it would give the flat tappets DLC coating a helping hand, as well as the cam lobes.
It could be a worthwhile and cost effective way of providing protection, and a whole lot cheaper than a roller kit!
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Something just shouts out to me that this stuff is expensive !!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:06 pm

It can be had for AUD$28 for a 250ml bottle. That's big enough to do two oil changes on a V8, as in Chevy V8. 75ml/oil change on a 4 cylinder car engine. You should get 6+ engine oil changes on ya GRiSO, or use it in the diff and gearbox as well and still get about 3 complete services.

Come to think of it, it was highly recommended by local Guzzi mechanic for use in the diff on the old Tonti's when the yellow tube of Moly Bond was no longer available.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Something that has always puzzled me is, doesn't the oil filter remove all of the benificial particals on the first pass of the oil through ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Ron, has to be some goodness left - otherwise you would not have any oil worth using after the first circulation.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:46 pm

For those too lazy to google it;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Copper & lead particles (balls) range in size from 1 to 10 microns (mmm, sound familiar),
these are fine enough to pass through your oil filter.

Read the details .....................
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:58 pm

A goodness filter ?? Laughing
I just meant any partials of the special additive larger than the size of the filter media's micron rating would be trapped and therefore not give any benifit to the engine ??
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:21 pm

Chemical solution to engineering problem = No worky!

Try it if you like but I fear you will be throwing good money after bad.

I've tried this sort of product 20 years ago as an experiment in trying to prolong the life of spiral bevels that had been galled by misalignment. The results were at best ambiguous but I never pursued the strategy.

In an environment where sweeping and hammering occur over an already fragmented surface all I can see happening is the creation of more slurry. Maybe a slightly less aggressive slurry but one that still contains particles of DLC, and let's remember that stands for 'Diamond Like' carbon. I reckon we all know what they use to cut glass and an granite drill heads as a cutting agent.....

Pete
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Ah Ron, I think most oil filters remove particles on the high side of 15 microns.

Pete, MBL8 was never meant to repair damage ....... too late closing the gate after the horse ....
But as a preventative measure ..... combination friction proofing and providing a sacrificial wear surface.

If it was to add $5 to your service costs every 5,000k it is hardly a major expense.

But anyhoo, my tappets are fine.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:20 am

Morning Ghezzi, I had a mate back in the 80's that put some pro mar in his F'd hilux gearbox, You could hear the noise disappear as we drove down the road ???? He sold it soon after so we didn't get to see how long it lasted, but it was an instant short term fix.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:00 pm

I know a bloke who did the same, but kept the car for another 5 years. Just did an annual oil change with MBL8 added.
Back to top Go down
Lenz9753
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:34 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Ah Ron, I think most oil filters remove particles on the high side of 15 microns.

Pete, MBL8 was never meant to repair damage ....... too late closing the gate after the horse ....
But as a preventative measure ..... combination friction proofing and providing a sacrificial wear surface.

If it was to add $5 to your service costs every 5,000k it is hardly a major expense.

But anyhoo, my tappets are fine.

Makes sense to me mate

Some years ago I bought 2 kilos of single micron Teflon powder and have been using it in every engine and non-wet clutch transmission I have maintained. (motorcycles, stationary engines, boat engines, ancient mower, brushcutter, chainsaw etc)

From what I can see, blending a small amount into the base lubricant at each oil change pretty much turns them into "forever engines" because they subsequently just DON'T show any signs of normal wear. The plan is to continue this maintenance program with my flat tappet 1200 GRiSO when the suspension upgrade is completed. If fracturing of the tappet surface has already occurred then Humpty Dumpty is pretty much fucked but if the material profile is sound then I see no reason not to expect similar positive results to those I've seen elsewhere.

Pillory and flay me if you must but there is no burden to the truth - it just fucking IS
Back to top Go down
MrBob
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Stumbled across the this article from Road Rider, its a bit dated, but an interesting read and food for thought.

Article aside, I'm open to any thing that will increase the longevity of my 14 petrol & 2 Diesel engines!
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:09 am

Interesting read, nice one
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:44 am

MrBob wrote:
Stumbled across the this article from Road Rider, its a bit dated, but an interesting read and food for thought.

Article aside, I'm open to any thing that will increase the longevity of my 14 petrol & 2 Diesel engines!

Yes a good read Mr Bob, thanks for the link.
Just put a new Penrite App on my phone, piece of piss finding oils now Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:54 am

The big oil companies spend a lot of money on research and know what they are doing. There are no magical add-ons that will help save your engine. There might be one exeption, zinc. Zinc in engine oils has been reduced over the years to protect the catalyst in your exhaust but is the best protector for metal to metal surface wear like flat tappets and piston rings/cilinder wall. I use a product called CamShield to keep the zinc particles around 2000 ppi in the Agip oil I use. If it will help my tappets remains to be seen as some DLC coatings don't like zinc...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flat Tappet Protection.   Today at 11:17 am

Back to top Go down

Flat Tappet Protection.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: