12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Verily! The turd has landed!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ekimyrf
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:09 pm

How are the 1400s selling ? I have never seen one on the road and I have been in London for the last 18 months where you eventually see most types of bikes
also been to the Isle of Man a few times where you see everything under the sun, but never a 1400 of any sort

Keener said they are selling, if so where the US ?
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Mainly on the US market I've been told.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:52 am

Have not seen one on the road yet, not one.
They don't sell, no even in the US. And that's why they made different versions of it...to push the product.
The best version to me is the Audace because of the better riding position with pegs etc...
Still, it won't sell IMO. They might make a 1200 lighter version next who knows...
Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:43 am

There were a ton of them at the National here. A buddy of mine who isn't even a cruiser guy, bought one. They seem to be doing okay with it.

My guess is that the MGX 21 will probably sell okay too.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:48 am

I, too, have seen several on the road, aside from the national this past June when, as WCB notes, there were many.

My brother traded his '12 Norge for a Touring model.  I rode it for a few hundred miles in north Georgia.  

Not my cup of anything, but must admit several things, e.g., it handled WAY better than one might expect of such a big beast; the engine was a joy to hear and feel and kick around; and, it drew more comments from the HD and clone crowd than any other Guzzi of mine, including the EV.  

That last might not be a compliment in most of our eyes, but it might also explain marketing.

FWIW, my brother -- who has had four new Guzzis in past five years, traded it within months (tho 10K+ miles) for a (another) new Norge.  Wink

Bill
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:34 am

Ekimyrf wrote:
How are the 1400s selling ? I have never seen one on the road and I have been in London for the last 18 months where you eventually see most types of bikes
also been to the Isle of Man a few times where you see everything under the sun, but never a 1400 of any sort

Keener said they are selling, if so where the US ?

Played tag with a white touring on Saturday on the way back from the bike expo in Homebush (Homebush Bay Drive to Crows Nest) & there's a couple of others that turn up regularly for club meetings and occasionally on club rides. And there's a couple of guys here planning to buy the new Eldo. I expect to catch up with them soon. The demo touring at Racecourse Motors with the agostinis sounds impressively authoriative.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:20 am

Well, guys in my area ain't buying them or riding them...
I see Stelvios, Norges and of course V7s, couple of Grisos but they're scarce.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:41 pm

up here in Western Canada ..Calgary Alberta , there is a group of  5 that ride together , i chatted with a couple and they were pretty pleased with the 1400 , they went on about the torque and comfort and midrange power, one fellow came from a Harley Dresser , he was sold on the Cali 1400 as compared but more over that it was a completely different type of cruiser , more of a sportier type cruiser , and one of them suggested that he would like to change out the floor boards for pegs as he was scraping them more than he would like,i would say all of them were pretty pleased with their rides..
There was also a fellow with a V7 classic , turned out to be a nice chap and he appeared to be a pretty aggressive rider by the look of the sides of his tires.
Guzzis here are not really all that well known yet, the riders that own them though are pretty dedicated to the bike they ride,and  its growing every year.
there are a few older Guzzis about as well , here and there you will see an old lemans , Eldorados ,Ambassadors ,all ridden by old gits like me , they are pretty much jaded as to anything new though IMO ..
Grisos are here and there ..mostly 1200 , i have seen more of the 1200 than my 1100 but all in all they are fairly rare . Have yet to ride with another GRiSO rider but next season i will participate in some organized dealer rides try out a 1400 and see what they are like for myself , may pick one up... if i like em.. to tour with , must be better two up than the GRiSO would be ...dunno  and if so i would probably ditch the floor boards ...lol.. oh and the GRiSO would stay in any case .....
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:13 am

Just today as strange as it seems, I spoke to a customer at my work who has a 1400 Cali , he has toured with it all over the fricken place.. last tour was 6000km , through Canada east  and back via the USA this summer ..said he loves the bike , pulls like a train great on the mountain passes and is pretty comfy for his wife as well . what he liked the best was the suspension and the handling of the bike.
He said he really didn't think of it as a cruiser as compared to his previous bikes ...Japanese HD clones  and an 2009 HD dresser ...whole different approach he said Guzzi nailed it the fit and finish is pretty dam good ... so he is definitely pleased with his 2012 1400 Classic ..
Good to hear Guzzi has come to the table with this one it seems .
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:12 am

When Jude and I did our big tour of the US and Canada on a Cali we kept finding ourselves saying "I wish we were on the Mana".

The Cali is certainly an impressive motorbike but it is only truly at home on major roads. We find that the Mana will gobble up distances just as effectively but cheaper, it handles better and will go pretty much anywhere. As soon as you take a Cali on to dirt its shortcomings become immediately apparent.

I'm glad they are selling reasonably well but they don't really interest me. I feel the same about the V9. I hope they sell well but I can see no allure in riding around on something that looks like a pessary for a Dugong.

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:29 am

Pete Roper wrote:
When Jude and I did our big tour of the US and Canada on a Cali we kept finding ourselves saying "I wish we were on the Mana".

The Cali is certainly an impressive motorbike but it is only truly at home on major roads. We find that the Mana will gobble up distances just as effectively but cheaper, it handles better and will go pretty much anywhere. As soon as you take a Cali on to dirt its shortcomings become immediately apparent.

I'm glad they are selling reasonably well but they don't really interest me. I feel the same about the V9. I hope they sell well but I can see no allure in riding around on something that looks like a pessary for a Dugong.

Pete
Pete just wondering , have you been inside the 1400 engine , just wondering how its built valve train etc ?

I wouldn't take that monster off road for sure but I would like a bike to take the girlfriend on, as her back is not the best for long term rides...re an auto accident years past... back support is needed ..
She is not so happy on the GRiSO as well and she is a little thing to boot all 5ft 3 and 115 lbs of her ..
How was Jude for comfort overall on the 1400?
thanks
Keener
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Haven't had to rip one apart yet, (Thank God!) but the basic engine architecture is identical to the 1200's.

What IS different is the cylinder head cooling and the fact that the wider bore/combustion chamber requires twin plugs.

Unlike the 1200's which have drillings that carry the cooling oil around the exhaust valve seats the 1400 Heads are taller and accomodate much larger cast in cooling galleries in the head castings themselves. They are actually much more like a water cooled engine's cylinder heads, it's just the 'Coolant' is oil. This extra height also explains the very long reach plugs used in the 1400.

The second plug is installed to combat surging caused by poor combustion. With a centrally located plug the flame front moves out in a spiral from the point of ignition and can result in pockets of end gas at the end of the cycle that can cause pre-ignition or simply stilted combustion cycles. By adding the second plug better combustion can be ensured at lower RPM where the VE is higher helping to eliminate odd behaviours. At higher RPM, (From 4,000 or so from memory?) ignition reverts to a single, central plug.

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks Pete i do appreciate your explanation, now i have to ride one of em to see what that's all about ....
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:08 pm

My wife, Esther had one for a couple of seasons, put 8000 miles on it and loved its power, torque, smooth ride, comfort and styling. I only got to ride it a few hundred miles, but I was pretty impressed with its power, balance and handling and got a kick out of dragging those big floor boards. But then last summer we were up in the Canadian Yukon where the road conditions are far less than ideal and she began to love it a lot less. She couldn't maneuver it well on loose and slippery ground and due to its massive weight, she often couldn't park it without my help. When we got home from that trip, she traded it in on a V7 which I think is a bit under-powered for my riding style, but she loves it and loves the fact that she can handle it in all conditions by herself without having to ask for help. And if she's happy, I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:11 am

I've sold very close to an equal number of California 1400 and V7 models this year, and the California is a great bike, certainly the best cruiser I've ridden. (I had one as a demo for awhile this summer) It's actually quite a bit of fun to hustle on a sweeping back road and both the engine and the handling will surprise quite a few 'non-cruiser' bikes out there. For me the down side was simply the bulk and weight of the thing. I just got tired of the effort it took around town. I find that right around 600 pounds (270 kg for some of you) seems to be a magic number for me at least, and I find that when a bike weighs north of that number I lose the motivation to ride as often because it just takes more work to get out of the garage and slog through traffic and park and etc etc.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Cereal KLR wrote:
I showed the pics to a friend that bought a V7 last year. She had picked that model after trying a bonneville and sportster base model 883.  She felt the Guzzi was easier to launch and ride with weight lower down. Low rpm torque is a new riders friend and the V9 specs out close to other offerings but out of the hunt hp wise. As usual with any bike owner she thought hers looked better but could see where a performance bump would be a good thing.

The entry and middle weight nakeds are hot right now and getting hotter. They will sell these if priced right.

I think you hit this one right on the head. And I'm glad your friend got the right bike for her needs.
But is this niche big enough to continue such an antiquated model?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:32 am

I could be wrong but this V9 might rob enough of the V7 sales that it would hurt Guzzi's plan for the said V7.
If both bikes sell soso, it's not good in the end...
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:43 am

Grisonut wrote:
I could be wrong but this V9 might rob enough of the V7 sales that it would hurt Guzzi's plan for the said V7.

I would wonder if they care , the V9 would likely be the replacement for the V7 eventually perhaps scratch
Back to top Go down
opc
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 am

keenerkeen07 wrote:
Grisonut wrote:

I would wonder if they care , the V9 would likely be the replacement for the V7 eventually perhaps scratch

I'm not very well versed on it, but isn't one of the V7 selling points its lower HP number for European tiered licensing?
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:48 am

That is correct opc
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:51 am

The small (beginners) licence allows 35kw/48hp.

This should be easily to realize with the V9 if V7 would not catch EURO 4 regulation.

Sven
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:30 am

I wish it was the same here in Canada ...here you could ride a GSXR 1000 as a new rider 16 years old and up.
you have to be 16 years old to obtain a motorcycle license .

I screwed up the above is BS
here there is a graduated license system to ride any kind of bike bigger than 90 cc you have to be 18 years old ..
sorry about that the above is the way it used to be when I was a punk ..

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:38 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Phang
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:37 am

keenerkeen07 wrote:
I wish it was the same here in Canada ...here you could ride a GSXR 1000 as a new rider.

We have three tiers here:-

below 200cc

between 200cc and 400cc

above 400cc

each has it's separate test and you have to stay in a tier for at least a year before moving up to the next one.
Back to top Go down
Cereal KLR
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:58 am

Nostalgia sells bikes. I love my 04 Thruxton for what it is with no sporting side at all. Simple bike that doesnt look like a plastic jelly bean.

If they can market them along the lines of motor size and cost they will not compete too much. We have seen this with other models even using same motor. Sportster and Bonneville come to mind.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:05 am

The new Truxton R is a very nice machine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Verily! The turd has landed!   Today at 11:17 am

Back to top Go down

Verily! The turd has landed!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top