12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Grey Lady

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: The Grey Lady   Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Got to talking about this last night........Thought I would share my experience.

The Grey lady
In about 1986 I had a job working for an American company in Abingdon. This job was on an early shift pattern so I would be travelling to work at about 5.30am during the week.
One morning I was driving my much loved VW Scirocco MK1 to work. It was mid summer and it was the half light of dawn. I had just driven through a village called Drayton and was starting to gain speed as I moved into a 60mph section of road on the way to Abingdon. As I accelerated and rounded a corner, there was a woman walking in the road towards me. She was placed about 3 feet out from the grass verge and she was barefoot and striding purposely towards me. She was wearing a long Greyish coloured night dress. She seemed to be completely oblivious to my approach.
I did not have long to react other to think to myself ‘what is she doing out here barefoot’ and then take avoiding action by steering the car around her whilst braking. My eyes went straight up to the rear view mirror, but I could no longer see her? I stopped the car, stuck on the hazard lights and walked back to where she had been. Nothing…………not a sight of her. Nowhere to hide out there, open grass verges and fields?
I got back into my car and drove on the 5 miles or so to work. There was something else playing on my mind about this, something that was wrong with the situation. I got to work and got out of my car [ I remember this moment clearly as I spread my arms over the roof of the car and tried the figure out what stood out about the incident ] Then I realised that the ladies nightdress and hair was moving around in the wind as I saw her. As I stood there at that moment, there was no wind at all and the day was clear and calm? I have to say that at that point the hairs on the back of my neck raised, and I decided the best foot forward was to go in and have a coffee.
Moving on from this and quite naturally afterwards, I explored all of the reasons for this even down to me not being awake properly, content of TV programmes the night before, conversations with friends etc, etc.
To this day, I am not sure what I saw. It seemed cemented as a real sighting when a couple of years later I was talking to my friends Grandad and we happened upon the subject. He immediately, nodded and confirmed he had heard of two previous sightings along that stretch of road. I never knew if he was just playing me along or telling the truth and could never find any other detail. What I will say is that it will stay with me for the rest of my time as long as my memory works. And the intense and purposeful look on the Grey ladies face has given me a few bad dreams over the years.
Do I believe in Ghosts? I don’t know? Maybe someone in a time of their life, during a certain situation is able to leave their mark/trace somewhere that others may later pick up?
Be interested to hear from anyone else who has had any unusual experiences?
Cheers,
Ian/Blue.

Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:28 pm

No visions as such, just an audible shout to "STOP!".
I hit the skids and out of nowhere a 6' roo bounds right in front of my wheel and then is gone into the bush. I stopped and walked back but not a sole in sight or ear shot. Rode a little slower on the dirt road into town.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
wardentm
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Yeh, I got that pissed once too !!!!! When I was in my late teens
Ciao
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:13 am

wardentm wrote:
Yeh, I got that pissed once too !!!!! When I was in my late teens
Ciao

Guess we all did!!! Very Happy I was stone cold sober for my incident though. Cannot answer for Ghezzi?? That was a weird situation that one. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:07 am

Steak wrote:

Stop that! Scares me witless, even tho the whole Teresa Fidalgo thing is humbug.   affraid

Ian, if you google "Grey lady Abingdon ghost” or the like, there are numerous interesting references to gray — when will you people learn to spell properly?  Rolling Eyes — ladies, but none near yours, tho other sorts of ghosts seem to be in or near Abington.  

I do not “believe” in ghosts, and think nearly all -- witness Teresa Fidalgo -- are BS and either hoaxes or natural phenomena.  But ... that said, as have many of us, I have had my share of seemingly inexplicable encounters that I try not to think about!   scratch

Actually, I first thought you meant Abingdon, Virginia, that, while “younger” than yours, has its share of “haints.”  See, e.g., [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

“Our” Abingdon also has some spectacular riding.  See, e.g., [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (best viewed in “terrain” mode).  

Best wishes to you … and the Grey (sic) Lady.   Wink

Bill
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:35 am

Jees that picture is quite close! Needs Grey [ Gray] hair and some age, and to lose the footware but close.

Stuff the ghost - just dropped in on that google linky to those roads. Not fair,not fair,not fair,not fair!!! Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:11 am

I can add a bit of ghostly folklore relative to where I have chosen to retire...Middle TN, USA. For those not familiar with the American Civil War (also known as The War Between The States locally), Tennessee was second only to Virginia in the number of battles fought. The last of the bloodiest battles is known as the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee (just a half hour North of me). Many of the houses are still standing and one of the most famous is The Carter House which served as a field hospital after being commandeered by Union Gen. Jacob Cox. The ensuing battle resulted in one of the bloodiest battles of the war and the Carter House was right in the middle of it. It stands today as a monument to those who lost their lives in that battle and today you can tour the property. The floors are still bloody from the soldiers that were brought there to have limbs cut off, to receive other medical treatment for wounds and to die. To this day, the house is said to be haunted, locals have photos of ghosts looking at them from its windows at dusk and the house frequently yields "screams" at times. There are other houses with the similar stories in the area...one is on the property now owned by General Motors in Spring Hill, TN where many second and third shift workers must pass on the way to the employee gate. My brother was one of those workers for many years (now retired) and swears he has seen confederate and union soldier ghosts roaming the property and especially the house...often looking back at the frightened GM workers through the windows. Strange lights are often sighted in the house even though the house has power cut except for special events (not to host any ghosts!).

I don't think a year has past that a construction crew hasn't unearthed a civil war soldier from where he fell in battle. I am not going to call my brother a lair, so I'll have to give him the benefit of doubt...believe what you will!
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 am

Maybe the Newport Ghost from up around Shropshire was on the move...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Grey Lady   Today at 11:17 am

Back to top Go down

The Grey Lady
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum