GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC housing thickness...

Go down 
+2
beetle
Grisonut
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

CARC housing thickness... Empty
PostSubject: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Since I now have a shaved housing due to the bike going down, I wonder if the alloy is thick enough to drill a couple of holes but not all the way through so I can tap some threads and screw a custom cover over that little bulge, that will hide the heavy rash done by the wreck.
I just want to make a custom cup that will go over the ''CARC" logo.
Anyone know?
And no, not interested in the little guard that you can buy for protection...too late for that.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:51 pm

Glue it on.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:42 pm

I could do that sure....and man, I don't plan to make a habit of going down but if it happens again, anything glued will bail out real fast and offer no real protection.
A little cover will take the hit instead and it's easy to replace it then.
Nothing is written in stone, just thinking about stuff...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Too thin to drill and tap. If you remind me on Monday I'll take a pic of a case and post it so you can see fer yerself.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Arrrh shit! So I don't have a 1/4 inch (5mm) a least to deal with? Sad
Glue it is then. After shaving the logo flush with the housing...
Thanks Pete.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:16 pm

A steel/alloy/carbon cover could be constructed to cover the CARC logo and glued at that location.
Bracket could extend forward to bolt on at the CARC/swing arm joint.

If you use something like K138 Araldite it wont ever come off unless heated beyond 120*C.
I used that to glue my BST wheels/hubs together.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks Wayne.
I'll figure something out...
If they total the bike, I'll buy it back and I'll start looking for a Bellagio frame...you know what I'm thinking right? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:20 pm

I like the IDEA of these units, but not so much the look/execution.  What I'd like to see similar to this is something totally sacrificial, much like a frame slider.  The problem with the looped tubing type is the potential stress put on the caliper mounts.

I think a simple, sacrificial cover would save a lot of CARC housings down the road.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Yep.
I ain't using anything that will connect to the caliper mounts.
Some sort of cover like the one in your picture with an appealing look would work.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:59 am

Can anyone report damage to the caliper mounts from the CARC crash protector?

I hear the worry about damage but never see proof that it actually happens.
Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:55 am

Mine took a hit from behind on the Stelvio, hard enough to put a small crease/bend in it. Didn't do anything to the mounting bolts. I think the bar guard will bend quite a bit and possibly hit the CARC itself before it would snap the caliper bolts or damage the casting they're bolted to.  I could be wrong though. I do like the other cover, but wish it was black so it didn't look so obvious.

If  you look closely, you can see the hit on the bottom rail close to the brake line. It was enough of a hit that it knocked me off the bike.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CARC housing thickness...   CARC housing thickness... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC housing thickness...
Page 1 of 1