GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Front wheel removal

Go down 
+8
Pete Roper
tvboy
Bill Hagan
WAKEY
rboe
beetle
Grisonut
Triman023
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

Front wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Got my new tire in and I need to take the front wheel off the GRiSO. The manual says to remove the bolts from the brake calipers. Is this necessary? Do the calipers need to be removed to clear the wheel?
I will look at it tonight but thought I would ask in case there is some magnificent trick you guys do..
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:00 pm

Yeah you have to dismount them, not remove them. Not hard...
Get rubber bands to keep them out of the way and it's an easy job.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Thanks! As I suspected.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:17 pm

New problem. The caliper bolts are not loosening. I am giving it all Ive got with the wrench and nothing so far. Do I need to hit it with the impact tool? Seems way tighter than necessary.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Shouldn't be hard at all...45 foot pound if I recall...
No offense but you're going counter clock wise right? Lefty loosie, righty tighty...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Mine had loctite on them. First time took some force.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:19 pm

Mine had loctite as well but it was never a huge effort to remove them bolts.
I do use a half inch ratchet though...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:20 pm

You brute. Embarassed

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Hmm, I don't recall it taking all that much force to loosen. I wonder if the dealer had it off earlier.
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:38 pm

I was going in the right direction. Although I have fought with left hand thread bolts till I found out what they were!
Going to warm it up with the heat gun tomorrow, if that doesn't get it I will let the dealer break the bolt heads off. I think Luigi dipped the bolts in Locktite.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:59 pm

beetle wrote:
You brute. Embarassed

Whaaaaaattttttt... I'm smooth as butter Son. Razz
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:53 am

The two foot broker bar did the trick! Wheel removal this afternoon when its a balmy 60 degrees Thats not celsius! I gave myself a Pilot Road 4 tire for my Xmas.

Hope you all are having a very Merry Xmas today!
Back to top Go down
WAKEY
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
WAKEY

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi guys, Merry Christmas, is there any special reason the brake calipers have to be taken off, just wondering.
Wakey
Back to top Go down
http://sw57@bigpond.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:09 pm

They will foul the wheel rim if you simply remove the axle.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
WAKEY
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
WAKEY

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:23 am

Ok thanks Beetle, thats a good enough reason ah mate.
Wakey.
Back to top Go down
http://sw57@bigpond.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:14 am

Not to mention that putting the wheel back on while aligning the rotors between the pads at the same time is more pain than it's worth...
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:55 am

Triman023 wrote:
The two foot broker bar did the trick! Wheel removal this afternoon when its a balmy 60 degrees Thats not celsius! I gave myself a Pilot Road 4 tire for my Xmas.

Hope you all are having a very Merry Xmas today!

Yup ... on all three counts.

Few tools are as satisfying to use as a breaker bar.   Rolling Eyes

Mine -- which has yet to suffer defeat  Smile  -- is from Harbor Freight.  http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-67933.html

I am also very pleased with the MPR4's, tho I only have all of 300 miles on them.

And, yes, Christmas; great joy ... after the grandkids wore themselves out.   Wink   Even better, today is only the Second Day of Christmas!

Bill
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Calpers slid right off with a bit of a twist. I put masking tape on the rim and that was a good idea.
The only problem I had was tightening the axle nut, had a friend hold the other end steady while I torqued it.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Am I an idiot or do I have special calipers?

I'm attempting to remove the front calipers so I can remove the wheel. (So I can remove the front forks so I can change the oil.) The calipers slide back toward the wheel but contact the wheel before they're clear of the brake rotor.
I was very surprised by this turn of events. So twisting is the key? I don't see how that will help. Is the trick to squeeze the brake pads outward to provide more clearance?

Any advice is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:14 pm

Ahhh! I'll try that.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 am

I had huge problems removing a single handlebar bolt and ended up removing the whole assembly, making a jig and using a lot of heat to get it out. No surprise MG has used industrial strength Loctite elsewhere too.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:53 am

Well I wasn't able to finesse the calipers off the rotors so I removed the rotors to provide the clearance. Those twelve bolts were definitely Loc-tited in! They weren't going to vibrate loose.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Make sure you loctite them when you put them back on.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Thanks. I absolutely did use blue Loc tite and torqued them to spec.
Got it all back together and took it out for a 20 mile test.
The front wheel did not fall off so overall success.
Using the ladder in an A frame position with a hand winch and nylon straps behind the steering head all worked well. I'll be doing it again if I take just the wheels in for new tires. I don't know if I can trust a shop to lift the bike properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel removal   Front wheel removal Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Front wheel removal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next