12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Your Favorite Helmet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Tassiedevil71
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:26 pm

I am keen to have a look at the Vozz helmet. I hope to be up in Sydney at the end of April, so will try one on then. I have an Bell RS1 which is an excellent fit, but noisy and I always wear ear plugs. I recently bought a wind jammer 2 and it has helped and is even quieter if I am wearing a neck tube.

I really like the RS1 transitions visor as I work 'day into night' shifts. I wish other companies would do the same. I have had the helmet for 3 years and have had one low side in it which only resulted in a couple of paint chips.  

I have an Arai RXQ and it is a sightly rounder fit - still very comfortable. Still a bit noisy, but I haven't tried it with the Wind Jammer yet.
I bought based on the paint job only! It reminded me of the awesome graphics that Suomy helmets came with when they were still being imported into Australia - I always lusted after one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If the VOZZ helmet is as quiet as they say because of the nature of the design, then I am in.

Last edited by Tassiedevil71 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:35 pm

I wear a Bell Bullitt. It has been branded as noisy by many reviewers. It is much quieter than my half helmet was though. The fit is good if you have a round head. If you wear a long oval this one is not for you.
This is my second Bullitt; the first served me well as I tumbled 70' down the roadway last August.
While most of this thread has been focused on AS/NZ regs, this helmet has been approved for this market.
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Schuberth  c3 great helmet for me ,pretty quiet  but i ride with plugs in any case..
Nice feature is the secondary slide down inner tinted visor.....

but that new Voss helmet looks interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:29 pm

The old helmet discussion was bench raced on today's ride.
15 of us all were concerned by mainly wind noise, comfort is important of course and good ventilation.
Price of helmets were from the Aldi special all the way to $1200 arai.
We all agreed it's definitely a personal fit thing.
Also a good mates complaint  was his new shark helmet gives his forehead about a half inch burn mark after a day's ride. But we explained to him he has a extremely large fore head!!!!!
Also his nick name is bean head! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:40 pm

I dragged out one of my old helmets to try today. An HJC. Much lighter than the Shoei, and a better fit. It did smell a bit odd. About the same wind noise as the Shoei though, and the Shoei has a whisper kit. Rolling Eyes

I'm liking the look and specs of Schuberth C3 a lot. I'm not 100% convinced buying a helmet online is A Good Thing.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:05 am

Beetle, I would only buy a helmet online if I'd researched and physically tried on the make, model and size that you know is right for you. The difference in fit between different models is quite marked. For example, the Shoei fits me line a glove. Same size in an Arai, forget it. Each to their own.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:49 am

I had the benefit of trying a mates C3 first before buying mine on-line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:56 pm

I bought my Shoei XR1200 on line from MAS in sydney, measured head, picked size and colour , placed order, fitted perfectly when it showed up. People have told me I have an "Ordinary Head", I'll take that as a compliment Razz
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:09 pm

If I were to buy another Shoei, online would be fine. Expectations of sizing within same manufacturer to be same. Another maker may have a different 'standard head size'. Question
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:05 pm

IMO the C3 is the best lid i have owned to date , Arai and Shoei were good but had higher weight and noise ...the C3 is well made and designed well, i was not sure i would like a flip up , but they are easy to put on/ take off .. i ride with glasses so i do not have take them off and on as b4 ..You can flip up have a smoke and talk to anyone with out removal etc ,the inner tinted screen is great at lower speeds and hot days i flip up the main screen and ride along in traffic with eye protection from the sun and bugs ..at speed with both visors down they work well together optically perfect as well.
They are a quiet helmet as well , i have tried it without ear plugs and its acceptable but i use plugs i am used them and hearing protection is for me important ..
the fit is great , met a fellow that showed me how to fit a helmet ..best way is to measure your skull , just above your eyebrows , really the widest part of your skull and that should give you the proper size.use a fabric tape ...
Most people buy helmets that are too large , they should fit snug and not move around on your head at all or very little..the lining will break in somewhat ...the C3 fit well from the git go and matched the size that i measured with the tape..
I am one of those guys that wouldn't be here , if not for a helmet ..... Cool
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Big fan of the C3 Pro. But still wear my Shoei's too.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:47 pm

Looking at various pics and even the Schuberth website I can't make out of the C3 Pro has a chin piece that folds completely rearwards like my Shark or if it just lifts up like a 'Conventional' flip face? Can you confirm one way or another? Thanks.

Pete
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:04 pm

Pictures for Pete;

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 am

Thanks for that. So the Shark is still the only one that flips completely back. Bugger! I'd buy another in an instant if it actually fit me right.

Looks like I'll have to try this Vozz thing and then get a 'Cheekbone Protector' open face.

Pete
Back to top Go down
little750
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 am

For those with noisy Shoei's try these they fill the ear space and make it quieter. If you search ebay for "Shoei replacement Ear Pads Qwest/Xr1100"

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 am

You beauty! Thanks muchly. I quick google suggests local dealers don't carry these. And why didn't my bloody TZ-X come with these bloody things to begin with? Grr.
Back to top Go down
little750
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 am

Mines came without as well and I didn't like the helmet until I found these.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:28 am

I called VOZZ today and talked to Mark Bryant managing director , very helpful and easy to talk to. The plan was to order one but unfortunately they have limited sizes available at the moment. Only the two middle sizes, the rest to come in the next 2 months.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Thanks for that. So the Shark is still the only one that flips completely back. Bugger! I'd buy another in an instant if it actually fit me right.

I've been checking out all the modular helmets. Is the reason you prefer the Shark's flip-back arrangement for aerodynamic reasons?

Their website also claims to have super giant head size helmets now, if that's your problem.. Razz
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:23 pm

As Wayne says, the ECE22.05 helmets are now legal in NSW. I have a mate who has had Schuberth C3's for years - likes his head better than the regulations - trawls the internet for specials out of Europe & gets them for around $400. C3's have the reputation of being quiet. My Arai RXQ is very comfortable, but it is noisy. The Sharks & the Aldi are not nearly so comfortable, and are still noisy. Arai don't make modular helmets, apparently. I plan to pop up to the Vozz people in Frenchs Forest & check them out (once the rain stops), but at $888, care & research would be wise. I'll let you know how that goes. Otherwise. I'll be trying on some of the cheaper helmets for comfort & take a punt on the noise.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:01 am

For years I have used Shoei helmets as they fit my skull "just right". For on-road helmets, I preferred the X9 and used one for years. When it came time to replace it last year, I wanted another X9 but found out I could not buy one in the USA. I contacted Shoei customer service in the US and they confirmed the X9 is no longer available here. They are still being made in Japan and might be available in other parts of the world. So, you might want to look at the X9 as an alternative. BTW...Shoei recommended their RF1200 which I did buy and am happy with it.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:14 pm

It's been a while, but a promise is a promise. Right?

I first saw the Vozz helmet at the show last November. Was intrigued by the concepts. I finally got around to dropping by the office at Frenchs Forest (http://www.vozzhelmets.com)  on the way back from West Head.

The people there were friendly & accommodating - talked about the helmets, played with them, then took a test ride or four down the Wakehurst Parkway & back. Could have done more test rides. Tried on both the small & medium, and settled on a medium size, after adjusting the chin piece properly to fit. Easy enough done.

The fit seems to be very comfortable – although only short trips so far, and because the design causes the helmet to fit the head closer, it feels lighter than the Arai RXQ, (my most comfortable helmet) although it weighs exactly the same (1780 gm). After the test ride, the Arai actually felt loose, in comparison. The peripheral vision is superb. The helmet sits a little higher off the neck, so any sideways movement has a lot further to go before it hits my clavicle. The visor's steps (5 of them) are definite & strong & weren't affected by any wind. There's ventilation sliders at the chin & at the top - work better than the Arai, but I found it helpful in the midday heat to open the visor one step for a bit more breeze. Once you have a little familiarity with the system, putting on the helmet & taking it off are simple & easy. No problem with glasses - I don't have to take mine off at all.

The downsides:-
1. The biggest one is wind noise. The wind seems to catch in the depression which holds the push button safety lock on each side of the helmet. Putting a gloved hand over the lock eliminates the noise that side completely. Vozz are looking at the possibility of designing a plug to cover the holes, but it's by no means a done deal yet. I shall experiment with tape & other methods to see what works. I tested the helmet with my normal ear plugs, and with these it's a lot quieter than the Arai with plugs, but you loose a lot more of the engine noise as well. BTW, the small size I tried on was noisier than the medium, and I'm not sure if the noise lessens or goes away with the larger shell sizes.
2. There is no internal or external sun shade, other than the tinted visor.
3. There is no provision for pin-lock visors - apparently the designer doesn't like them, and feels they are unnecessary with this helmet. So some testing in miserable conditions is in order. I usually prefer pin-lock visors in the pelting rain to avoid fogging the inside of the visor or my specs.
4. Helmets are available in solid colours only, if that's a downside, matt black, gloss black, white, green, blue, KTM orange, Ducati red, although they have made arrangement with a local signage guy, Fabio in Brookvale, another bike nut apparently, who will do custom designs & graphics for around $100 - $200. I presume that these are compatible with the helmet materials.

The helmet comes in a decent box, a useful size, with a spare visor - usually one clear & one tinted (but I got 2 clear), a pretty substantial carry bag for the helmet (designed for air travel) and with handles & shoulder strap, external zipped pocket & doubled zipped main section, and the manual.

Basically, so far I'm impressed with the helmet, it feels good to wear, vision is unimpeded & outstanding, and if I can minimise the wind noise, I'll be a happy chappy. A long day ride tomorrow, with the possibility of showers, should test it out further.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Oh yes, mine came with the AS/NZS 1698 sticker - so after the years spent getting ADR approval, it's now almost no longer necessary. It's also ECE and DOT approved. The manual comes in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian & Russian for the multi-lingual among us.

It is said to have been tested at the race track and has been found to be stable at over 300kph. I'm not about the test that claim.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:45 pm

looks like good stuff , pity about the wind noise but i always ride with plugs so..........
Might have to take a serious look at these ...Currently i have a C3 Schuberth that works very well for me i would like to compare as to quality with the Voss
thanks for the thread MalG
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 pm

Well Mal, not on a V7 anyway...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Today at 9:53 am

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Helmet