12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Your Favorite Helmet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Hacky wrote:

Is the chin bar on this model also made of carbon fibre? I saw a Evoline Pro Carbon helmet sitting on a bike seat at Phillip Island last weekend and I couldn't be certain the chin bar was.

I don't think it is. Inspection of the inner surface of the chin bar suggests it more likely polycarbonate.
Back to top Go down
Hacky
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:47 am

beetle wrote:
Hacky wrote:

Is the chin bar on this model also made of carbon fibre? I saw a Evoline Pro Carbon helmet sitting on a bike seat at Phillip Island last weekend and I couldn't be certain the chin bar was.

I don't think it is. Inspection of the inner surface of the chin bar suggests it more likely polycarbonate.

Ok Beetle thanks for checking. I was keen on the red and black scheme of this model but given my stepfather had a coming together with a roo in November and cracked his full face Shark helmet right through the chin guard I might look at others.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Just bought a Shoei NXR. I needed to get the thinner cheek pads to make it more comfortable.
The noise is markedly less than my Nolan N85.
The air flow is really noticeable when the vents are open. There is a little extra wind noise when open, but still way less than the Nolan.
All in all a great helmet, also comes with a the Pinlock Evo insert.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:48 pm

I'm a SUOMY acolyte.  Italian, lightweight, snazzy...

I've got five of them (although one is just an artifact...)  For the GRiSO - Diavolo Nero, I doubt there's a better companion than the SUOMY Vandal (Superbike) Matte Italia.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Which can be had for a mere $225.00 at the moment by the by...

But sometimes, one ruminates wistfully while atop a Stelvio NXT, feeling inadequate without a pique, nor retractable sun shield...

I find myself tempted.

A nice complement for the Orange Blossom Special.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:59 pm

This on a local Brisbane forum.
Hope those here with a Vozz have a better experience.

1. Yeah .... I am in negotiations to get a refund , notified them an hour after delivery and one ride that they're noisy as hell and has a .5 - 1 mm gap between shield and rubber seal which lets lots of water inside. Fingers x'ed , but they have diddled me around for a week now.

2. I got mine as a group (7) buy through Ozzy and we have all decided to send them back, never in my life have I ever had a noisier lid like this Sad
Still waiting on the refund Sad

3. I received mine last week and the first ride I did with the lid was on Sunday, had to ride back as water was cascading inside the helmet and making its way down my shirt :shake
Not happy at all, they seem to take your money quickly but no support or help in return, waiting on them to get back to me :rant
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:52 am

Havent tried the new Vozz in the rain yet, but the Bride and I are off to Bungendore on the weekend. At least a 1200 Km trip.They are predicting rain. Without ear plugs there is wind noise. The manufacturers are aware of it and are workin on fixing it. With earplugs no wind noise.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:56 am

Thanks for the heads up ghezzi, maybe the poor fitting visor is causing the wind noise too ?
Good luck Charlie, let us know how they go.
Back to top Go down
MrBob
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:22 am

Rode from Uralla to Port Macquarie then home (250k's)and it pissed down most of the way, no leaks so far in the new Vozz.But filled my boots.
Only issue I've had, was a loose washer in the cheek plate for the chin adjustment rattling around.
Called Vozz and the owner got back to me regarding my concerns, turned out to be an factory assembly mishap. Got the (spare) washer out in 5 minutes, Vozz could not have been more helpful.
So far Vozz are Ok by me, time will tell I guess. Question
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Good to hear Bob. So there's hope for them yet Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Ive realized that it should be pronounced VOTTS.....didnt leak in the rain. Cant complain. Well pleased so far.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Charlie J wrote:
Ive realized that it should be pronounced VOTTS.....didnt leak in the rain. Cant complain. Well pleased so far.

Very good Charlie Thumbs Up How good does it fit you ? They have a chin support yes ?
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Just read all the posts in this thread; had somehow overlooked it before.

I have come to like modulars, and find HJC and Nolan just fine.  As I always wear earplugs, noise differences don't exist.

And, despite concerns  I've read about latches failing in crashes, my HJC did just fine when I last dismounted inappropriately:

Oh, I then used it for target practice.  Absorbed .40 cal. rounds without even quivering.  Wink

But, what I really meant to ask after reading the thread was for you AU/NZ folks:

Do LEO's really there check helmet labels? Shocked

I haven't heard of that happening here, tho suppose it has, especially if someone stupidly aroused a cop's competitive instincts. Rolling Eyes

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Yes they do. Or did. Since the law has changed in some states, they'll have to find some other way to lighten our wallets. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:41 am

Took a mates R1200GS for a spin today, couldn't believe how much wind noise and buffeting I got with my helmet (Schubert C3 Pro). Ducking below the screen was almost total silence except the soft purring from his Akropovic. If I stood up straight there was minor wind noise as per normal when on the Guzzi.

Moral of the story, size and shape of any screen can have a major bearing on noise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 am

Another thing I forgot to mention... with the Vozz is that I have altered a 40 year routine. Beceause of the lack of chinstrap and the 2 seconds it takes to put the helmet on,I put my gloves on before the helmet. That should stop a lot of foggin up before I ride away when it eventually gets cold.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:26 am

Charlie, I've often had to remove my gloves to put my helmet on, seems to happen the morning after on group rides drunken
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Just bought a Transitions Visor for my Shoei NXR.
I put it in a thin band of sunlight coming across my desk

As you can see the difference between the clear and tint, will put it on my helmet and test it tonight
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Not a plug for my favourite helmet, but for my new favourite helmet retailer. After dropping my head on the Tarmac and wrecking my new Shark Evoline 3 Pro Carbon, I ordered one from Chromeburner in the Netherlands. Arrived today, exactly 1 week after I ordered it. 31% cheaper than in Oz. Thanks to the Gummint for dropping the draconian helmet laws. cheers

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:53 am

They are a nice looking Lid Beetle Thumbs Up
I'm still keen for a vozz, but they keep pushing the delivery date back for the larger sizes, First they say end of march, then april, now june.
I haven't done any research yet but there is a company that produces an ANR kit ( active noise reduction ) for aviation use in headsets and helicopter helmets. They work fantastic in noisy environments. I'll look into the costs etc
Back to top Go down
g®eg
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:12 am

that looks nice.. is it modular?
(scratch that, looked it up)
the front looks like it flips out of the way like a Roof Boxer... cool.

certainly less $$$ here than the Shoei Neo-Tec (about $150 less)!

how quiet is it? totally subjective of course.

Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:26 pm

I didn't get to try out the Evoline on the road, as for me it was even less comfortable than my other Shark full-faces. Shame, the concept is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:28 pm

waterbottle wrote:

I'm still keen for a vozz, but they keep pushing the delivery date back for the larger sizes, First they say end of march, then april, now june.

You find that frustrating for you, Mark, the designer, has an XL head, and is still waiting.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:27 pm

@g®eg: It's the quietest helmet I've ever owned. The padding around the ears is different to any other helmet I've worn. I always wear ear plugs however. There's no air curtain available, so you get some turbulence with the chin-bar down. With the chin-bar up, it's remarkably quiet. Subjectively.

However..

@MalG: as you say Mal, it doesn't fit everyone's head well. I guess mine is the right shape.
Back to top Go down
g®eg
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:44 pm

cheers beetle!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Helmet   Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Beetle, I've seen your head............... Laughing