12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:09 am

I have been with my innerneck provider (iiNet) for nigh on 15 years. It has mostly been good, with the occasional stoush.

Late last year, I paid for and was granted a speed increase - nothing flash mind you, but since my provider does not have hardware in my local exchange, the equipment is "hosted" by Telstra. My home phone (yeah a landline, remember them?) is also with Telstra. Job was to be completed by COB on Tuesday; worked fine before I went to work.

Got home and reset my modem, fire up my computer to find I had no innerneck at all - nada, zippo, niet! Picked up the landline to listen for a dial tone - nada, zippo, niet! Used my phone to see if there was outages - reports of a minor innerneck outage in my area.

Happy, I eventually toddle off to a bed, and snore my happy self through the night. Wake up, ah he says, try the innerneck again - nada, zippo, niet. Dial tone was also missing. Ring up the innerneck provider - "can you disconnect all devices and then plug in another phone?", "no, I am at work and I don't have another phone to plug in" says I. I politely informed them (I was really trying to be polite, but I may have missed the mark narrowly) that an upgrade the day before was to blame. "No, sir, you need to go through these tests to prove to us that there is nothing wrong in your house".

Needless to say, this went on for 75 minutes with several instances of escalations. At the end of this time, I could boil water with the steam coming from my ears! The cherry on top was they would put the job through to Telstra and they would get back to me in 24 hours, or so, to arrange an appointment to come and check the equipment at my house. Freaking awesome service!

Next phone call was to Telstra, apparently they employ the same outsourced call centre (this one I believe was in South Africa, too) who insist that I disconnect all devices, plug in my "spare" phone (obviously need to pluck this one from my arse) and go through some diagnostics to make sure the problem is not at my house. WTF!.

Houston, I think we have a problem...

It is plainly obvious to me, that fault finding in the telecomms industry doesn't exist. I found it even more frustrating, that after 2.5 hours on the phone, I was nowhere closer to getting my problem sorted. Then I received an insult from Telstra: they sent an SMS to my mobile phone, with a link to a website, which I had to visit to put my mobile phone in, submit it and they would ring back within 2 hours. OK I'll play your silly game even though you already know my mobile number because you sent and sms to it... Within minutes (wow, what service) I get a call back informing me that they will schedule a technician to come to my house to prove that there is nothing wrong in my house.

Read into this, some super heated steam - I was struggling to stay close to rational and calm (failed miserably on both counts). OK took a whole bottle of chill pills and I think I felt better, though I can't really remember.

get home, no change. Get up this morning, no change. Will probably be like that for the next week.

Diagnostics is a (lost) art form, especially at telcos. Should they not ask "What was the last thing we did before this poor fellow lost his service?" no, blame the customer, get some money out of them proving things are OK in house, go "oops, we made a little mistake" and fix the problem.

Rant (nearly) over. FUCK!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:45 am

I hear you. I was with iiNet for more than 10 years. I've gone through the 'please disconnect all devices' etc bullshit. They must have got the idea from micro$oft. Anyhoo, it's s wee bit insulting when some pillock reading from cue card thinks they know more than someone working with computers, modems and networks all their working life. You get that Tony?

Long story short, after months of telling them politely to shut the fuck up and put me through to someone from technical support, who would still ask the same stupid questions, promise to get back to me then never did, the last call I made to iiNet was to disconnect me. Immediately.

There was an issue with the landline, Telstra eventually told me. Somewhere between our house and the exchange. They couldn't pin it down. Voice calls were crackly, so there's no way in hell broadband was gonna work.  Fortunately, we had a second landline to the house. After a week of pulling my hair out with trying to connect bigpond over the telephone (the numbys in the far-off-place-of-call-centres were insisting I was a 'sole trader' WTF?) I trotted down to the local Telstra shop. Next day I had a good connection with Bigpond that was 5 times faster than I had with iiNet. Fuck em.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:57 am

I hear you, Mark. Unfortunately, I believe the big T has less credibility than iiNet - having worked in BigPond for some time.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:14 am

No complaints after 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:57 am

The advantage Telstra has is they manage the copper and can usually do a line test on your phone line while making you jump through the standard unplug, reset, try another phone flow chart...

I also live in an area where NBN under labor was scheduled for 2015, under libs its not even on the charts anymore, anyway 5g will be rolling out before the fiber to the home is even half way to completion making it obsolete, and NBN co dead in the water...fixed line be it copper or fiber is a thing of the past for consumers.

cya
Scot.
Long term employee of big telco's, and now a very small telco...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 am

That's all well and fine for you city folk. For us out in the far west, where 4G is still mythical, twisted pair will be with us for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:49 am

twisted pair is appropriate for us, the twisted minority
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:30 pm

SORTED!

What a stuffup from day 1. Telstra kindly got the pairs mixed up, in the exchange, when they did the innerneck upgrade. Would they listen to this load mouthed, smart arse prick - NO WAY.

Great getting a phone call to say "I'm standing in your driveway, can you come and let me in" Er no, I'm at work in Shitney; "Oh".

This has happened several times, because I def have a fault in my house. Happened again this morning while I was at Shitney airport. Reply, "I've been doing this for 34 years an dyou have def got a problem in your house". I reply my usual mantra, which ends up telling the dude to "trust me" (gig call , I admit) that the pairs were mixed up. He said "I don't believe you, but I will go look".

He didn't come back, call back, or anything. My phone now works, my innerneck now works, AND it is 10x faster. Gotta love Telstra.

Then they ring me up (from the Philippines) and tell me they don't know when it will be fixed and that the fault is in my house. Words are starting to fail me, and it's all I can do to not invent some new swear words. They offered me $5 for compensation. Awesome!
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:46 am

I just went through a very similar experience. So aggravating. Best is during the Nth call to the provider they try and sell you something else.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers   Today at 11:17 am

Back to top Go down

QUALITY with phone and innerneck providers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: