12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tony takes his Sport off road!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:03 am

I went on a ride yesterday with the NSW club (MGOA) - all good. Ended up at the treasurers place for a well earned BBQ and beer session where I only had 1 beer (believe it or not!).

Anyway, I say to Mal, can I go left out of the drive. He answers "Yes, it's up the Bumble Hill Road". Righto I says and off I go. Follow the signs (not that they were prolific or anything), and road starts to narrow and look like it has not bee used for a while. Eventually turns to gravel - OK I can deal with that!

Gravel turns to plain dirt, is very narrow and great rock sections sticking out of the surface. Hmm, I think, I could turn around, but Mal (who knows most stuff) assures me I could get through - didn't mention dirt though), clay starts to appear in the mix and the road heads up to god knows where, and quite steep. Methinks I may have taken the wrong road.

Anyway, many years ago, when I had my BSAs, I did lots of offroad riding, in quite adverse conditions. Our ride earlier that day had left all of the roads in the area a tad damp, this one was no exception. Surprisingly the Sport handled it extremely well as long as you don't get into power slide territory. Around 30 km later, I popped out on the bitumen. I did get some funny looks from some guys loading up their trail bikes, though.

Only thing that could change to make this easier (apart from losing 50-80 kg) would be higher bars. Damn I even had fun.

Thanks for the adventure Mal.

Last edited by Oz1200Guzzi on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mark111
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:32 am

Toni,
That doesn't sound like the Bumble Hill Rd I went on yesterday on the way home which is bitumen all the way, albeit a bit rough and bumpy.
I suspect you may have turned a bit to early.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:19 am

Either too early or too late. You were supposed to go into the middle of town. But if you've found another fun road for us ......
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:29 am

Not everyone would see it as fun - Paul W might as he has his off-road beast nearly ready. I did enjoy myself though. The only thing I was worried about was that it led me off a cliff or something. it didn't.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Your a brave man Tony, a 1200 sport is not a trail bike cheers
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:42 pm

But Tony's still a dirt bike rider. He still remembers how.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:58 pm

I think you set him up Mal, tee Hee
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Anything can be a trail bike. Remember back when the difference between the latest road bike and off road bike was tyres and handlebars - EVERYTHING else was the same.

If you  actually take a beast like a Sport off road, it performs quite well as long as you don't go stupid on the throttle or the brakes (engine brakes are enough, generally), stand up when needed and use your weight to steer the beast in the right direction. Tyres? well there were no knobbies on mine but judicious use of the hurry handle in the right gear will allow everything to work quite well.

In a past life, I was a motorcycle coach (MA accredited) when my kids (and I guess me too) were a bit younger. Tis a shame I am the only one left riding. I have been tempted to offer an off road basics (for road bikes) at rallys (especially the Budgie) but have held back. I have noticed that riding downhill on dirt/sand seems to be a challenge for many, with quite a few getting bitten by said dirt/sand when some understanding of what is really required is missing. Dirt/sand is not bitumen.

Those of you who have graced the Budgie at the current site, would remember the paddock bashing from the road, pay your money and go down the steep incline and play pukka trials across the river bed.
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Esther gave me this wonderful little book for xmas, Beyond the Coffee Shop - Riding 1970's Moto Guzzi Motorcycles in Northern Canada by Nick Adams. It's a collection of his stories, many of which were originally posted on various motorcycle fora, about relishing the crappy roads and wide open spaces of a sparsely populated landscape, usually alone, and always in tune with his vintage motorcycles and the local wildlife. He also argues that his ancient Guzzis, an Eldorado, a 750S and a Nuevo Falcone are as well suited to these road conditions as any modern adventure bike. A pleasure to read, totally relatable, I highly recommend it. Available on Amazon etc.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Yeah! I took the ute off-road today too.
Not Good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Ghezzi, you should have come down our way for Sunday's ride. If you had, said incidents may not have happened. Note to self: "ride more, work less". Rode to work today and fuck me if the R/H mirror simply snaps off while I was doing about 110 km/h. This is the second time the Aprilia clone mirror has broken without so much as a "I think I am falling apart" signal.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Bar Ends Tony ? I get a lot less wind noise now cheers
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:45 am

Just sent for the book, a tenner secondhand Smile
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:11 am

Tolle09 wrote:
Just sent for the book, a tenner secondhand Smile

Cheap enough on Kindle. Not the same, but good for taking on the road. You should enjoy it. I did & do. Recommended.

Nick has another book out - about his trips to the UK (so probably not much dirt) - must get that one too.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:19 am

Mirror fixed - ride day today! Yay!

Got a new granddaughter overnight - I'll visit Perth next month to get introduced. My wife is there right now - all good. Now I don't need to find an excuse to have a quiet drink tonight...
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Congrats on a successful off-pavement ride ... and that new granddaughter. Very Happy

Bill

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:47 am

I got tricked by a friend of mine last year into a gravel/dirt trail supposedly smooth and used by locals in NC.
Second gear pace for about 10 miles, bored out of my fucking mind and pissed. Rolling Eyes big sharp rocks and deep grooves to deal with.
He's on a GSA and had harder time than me to handle that pig in that shit...no challenge to me but I was not a happy camper as I didn't want to fugg the bike all up or puncture a tire since the GRiSO is not made for rough stuff.
I told him to get a real dirt bike like a DR 450 or alike if he likes to try off road, not a heavy piece of crap that has been promoted by Ewan Mc Gregor or other celebrities (I give credits to his buddy Charley Boorman for wanting to go with KTM but the Austrians lacked marketing skills to say the least).
Anyway, going 10mph max and worry about hurting your equipment is not my idea of going off road or having fun for that matter...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:50 am

Enjoyment is the first thing that comes to mind - if you are not enjoying doing what you are doing, stop doing it!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:57 am

Indeed.
I enjoy off road but with the right bike... I want to go sideways, jump stuff and pop wheelie effortlessly. Twisted Evil
For my frame and habits, a 250 or 450 dirt bike is where it's at.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Pascal, couldn't agree more. You may see I had a few dirt bikes in my distant past. I stopped riding off-road as I was getting older and more decrepit - things hurt more AND take longer to heal - I had no real limits and always went as hard as I could. Bits of my body don't work so well these days.

But if I come across a bit of dirt, I will not shy away on my Sport, just because it's dirt (or mud, or gravel, or clay)
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:46 pm

The thing that annoys me is the stones chipping the paint and pipes, I'd have no problems riding someone else's bike down a dirt road Shocked
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Ron, that happens on the road as it is, I find. i am looking to paint mine anyway because of the stone chips. I may never get around to it though...
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:05 am

That's right Tony.
You should see the front sump on the wife's (now ex) 1100.
It's sand blasted by stone chips so I will have to put the V7 little chin spoiler like I did with my 1200.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:11 am

Purchased a house in Mt Kembla, settle tomorrow, move in on Friday - why did I do this? I am so time poor right now, I could do with a metric day, you know the one with 100 hours in a day. I could get lots more done if that was the case.
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Ok,how close to the pub Tony?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tony takes his Sport off road!   Today at 11:17 am

Back to top Go down

Tony takes his Sport off road!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top