GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples

Go down 
+16
sideshowbob
beetle
Papa Lazarou
paulbrice
GR1064
wyno
blue thunder
MalG
keenerkeen07
opc
NorthernProducer
Conor W
Pete Roper
Ralf z
Steak
mark111
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:05 am

In the real world what advantage do tubeless have over an innertube? Slighlty less wieght and the ability to plug a puncture?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:31 am

Tubeless tyre's don't deflate as quickly in the event of a puncture unless it is catastrophic, they can be easily plugged on the side of the road and their temperature and performance is far more stable than a tubed tyre.

Your observation about weight is missing the fact that rotational mass increases the inertia exponentially so steering is affected especially as the weight is at the circumference of the wheel. Many of us do stuff like buying light brakes to reduce rotating mass because to us it makes a difference. And don't get us started on unsprung weight! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:10 am

Thanks Pete. I think I'll stick with the cast alloys rather than the spoked wheels, which seem like a high maintenence solution.
Back to top Go down
blue thunder
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
blue thunder

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:59 am

The outex kit arrived within a week.
Front wheel is done. Tomorrow I will go to the shop putting the tyre back on. And then cross the fingers...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tripper.be

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:15 am

Karman, you may find your cast wheels are lighter than the spoke jobbies anyway.
Can you weigh each and report back.

I love the look of spoked wheels, but enjoy the carbon fibre ride a whole lot more.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:57 pm

This may explain why my front tyre constantly defaults to 16 PSI
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Mine does too. I just pump it up again, but I may buy some of that Outex stuff and try it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:15 pm

...and mine too - thinking of Outex or maybe just some RTV sealant around each nipple.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:34 pm

This is the best way to stop the leaks:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:47 pm

beetle wrote:
This is the best way to stop the leaks:

Hahaha - that’s a fair point, but for a newbie like me to get a factory roller it only came with spokey dokeys and the look better IMO
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:56 pm

We used to seal our 2 piece bolt together drag race wheels by laying a bead of RTV, silicon sealer around the inside where they mated together so we could run tubeless tires, worked great. I would put a glob of silicon over each nipple on the inside and be done with it. Cheap and easy.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Robinson_Spike wrote:

Hahaha - that’s a fair point, but for a newbie like me to get a factory roller it only came with spokey dokeys and the look better IMO

It's got spokes! Three big fat ones! Very Happy

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Game, set and match to Mr Beetle - I’ve had half a dozen stubbies, about to go to bed and he’s on his morning coffee!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:29 pm

My 72 Eldorado is running tubeless courtesy of a $2 tube of general purpose silicone smeared around each spoke head. I had a little trouble at first due to using the wrong type of silicone but even so the tires never suffered a sudden deflation like you can get with a tube.
You would have to remove the tubeless valve to get a tube in, big step backwards.

Smear some into those nice dished nipple indents and they will never leak again.

BTW, looking for a water trough to check for leaks get one of those plastic planter boxes, real cheap at the plant store.
Back to top Go down
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Kiwi_Roy - You mentioned problems due to using the wrong type of silicone. What is the correct type of silicone?

Thanks,
Alden
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:48 pm

I have converted my V7 Special to tubeless.
A layer of Sikaflex 291 Marine sealant over the top of the nipples.
A layer of crystal Clear Gorilla tape to protect the Sikaflex while importing the tire.
It's been 6 months or more.
My 72 Eldorado was also done a couple of years back, I used GE 100% Silicon for those.

The GRiSO spokeless wheels look good but all those "O" rings would make me nervous.

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 am

I read through the post carefully, did you find the spokes were loose i.e. needed tightening?
Tapping on each spoke they should make a ringing noise.
I haven't seen this type of nipple with the "O" rings do you have any thoughts on why they should start leaking?
Perhaps just a layer of tape over the top of the nipples would provide a second line of defence, the nipples could turn under the tape.

I was taught how to make the wheels tubeless by a long time dirt track rider, I tried several different silicones that would be forced out through the thread before I found GE 100% silicone, my 72 Eldorado been over 4 years now.
My V7III has a layer of Sikaflex marine sealant over the nipples and a layer of gorilla tape over the top to protect the sealant, it's been almost a year now.
My 07 GRiSO has cast wheels of course.
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Carlotto
Carlotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:54 pm

I reckon my spoked wheels are due a new set of 'O' rings as I'm needing to add more air after a couple of days now - does anyone know the spec/correct size of 'O' rings I will need for the job?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:17 am

Not sure they come as a set (probably not a standard service item). Gutsi bits sell them individually at £1.20 each & there are probably cheaper 'standard O rings' that fit if you need a lot

RedMogAndy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Dee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bill Dee

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:55 pm

Put a tube in the rear when it leaked. Problem solved. Will be adding a tube in the front if/when it leaks or is replaced when wears out.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:11 am

I have a V7 with spokes, I used a Marine sealant followed up with a layer of Gorilla tape to protect the sealant to make them airtight. The only problem is you might find a tire shop reluctant to change tires for you.
I bought a set of 3 levers with plastic rim protectors and use tire lubricant.
Its quite easy to change tires, I wondered why I put it off so long.
Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Carlotto
Carlotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:14 am

Thanks Paul, I've ordered a handfull of those from Gutsibits & will see how I get on with fitting them - wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:49 am

Good luck - Guessing you already worked it out but I'd work out which are leaking (wheel in bath time) & just do those....oh and read all the previous threads like this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples   How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How To - Repair leaking spoke nipples
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2