12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ear plugs I have known

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:23 am

Ear plugs. You should wear them. Even if the wind noise doesn't bother you, it's messing with your hearing. I've been riding for 25 years and listening to loud music for 40. My ears are buggered. I have horrendous tinnitus. Although I'm pretty sure my ears were destroyed at a Rose Tattoo concert in 1984, riding for years without plugs just added insult to injury.

The foamy disposable

Pros: Fairly comfy. Functional. Blocks everything. Cheap as.

Cons: Can wriggle out by themselves. If you don't poke them in far enough, the helmet will pull them out while you're putting it on. Single use only. Well, can be used multiple times but get grungy and lose their shape after a few uses.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The silicone moldable disposable

Pros: Comfy. Blocks everything.

Cons: single use only. Actually, you can use them maybe three times, but they get grungy quickly and eventually lose their pliability. Approx $3 per pair, so about $1 per use.

The small stiff silicon plugs on string:

Pros: None.

Cons: Hurt like bastards. Pop out randomly.

The Hi-Tech Silicon with ceramic noise filter plugs. $35

Pros: Comfy. Don't interfer with helmet. Don't wriggle out. Allegedly filter audible wind noise so you can still hear traffic noise, intercoms etc. Reusable for ever. Brand: NoNoise. Ahem.

Cons: Enhance wind noise to the point all you can hear is the fracking wind. Works in concert with helmet to amplify wind noise to deafening roar.

The Hi-Tech silicon with interchangeable plastic wind noise filter insert plugs. $45

Pros: Comfy. Reusable for ever. Don't wriggle out. Don't interfer with helmet. Come with special ear insertion tool. Insertion. That's a funny word. Two filters with different dB ratings. Actually work. Wind noise reduced to a very low level, even at X00 km/h. Comes with a spare plug. Brand: Alpine MotoSafe

Cons: None.

Things you shouldn't use as ear plugs.

Rocks

Real Silicon

Your saved ear wax. That shit is already right amongst it.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:07 am

Smile
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:09 am

Thanks for this Mark. I use the foamy disposables, but I think I'll try the Alpine ones on your recommend. Similar to you, my hearing was damaged at a Motley Crue concert (among others) when I was a kid. I have intermittent tinnitus and I don't intend to make it worse.
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:15 am

I just harvest my belly button fluff and jam it in my ears.

But yes it is only single use.
cheers
Back to top Go down
Hacky
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:29 am

My hearing is also pretty rat shit from many years of going to live music gigs back in the day, late 70's through to mid 80's, from not wearing ear plugs when riding until the past 6 years or so and from the countless ear infections from swimming laps and surfing in cold water. I now use custom moulded silicon ear plugs both on the bike and swimming laps.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:01 am

I have to ask? Is this a Wagga thing? Do all the people in Wagga have three ears and if so where is your third one?

Actually thinking about it I don't want to know........
Back to top Go down
blue thunder
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:31 am

I have hard moulded earplugs. They cost about 80€

Pro's: absolute airtight, fabulous fit. Different filters can be used. You can still have a conversation without yelling at the other.
My first ones I used 2 years. Use them as spare now. My seccond pair are used for about 3 years now and are still good. You can get them in in soft or hard version.

Con's: pretty expensive. Yearly checkup (airtight) needed because the ear changes over the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tripper.be
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:38 am

I was never able to use any plugs of any kind...
It fuck up my audible "feel" of riding and it's the main reasons why I hate loud exhaust, that applies to cars as well.
I need to ear the engine and the all the sounds of the bike as well as sound around me.
When I tried them a couple of time, I felt like I was in a video game and rode way too fast for safety, not good.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:43 am

Was talking to a mate yesterday - he'd lost/mislaid his, so tried blu-tac. Fitted well & worked satisfactorily, but upon removal, pulled out lots of ear hair. (That's a bonus, I thought). Second use pulled out the rest of the hair. Third use started removing the skin. There was not a fourth use.

My current plugs of choice are Protech Healthy+ soft foam. Pre-formed with a lip fingers can grab to remove - says the noise reduction rating is 33db. I find them effective & comfortable. Come in a two pack, and a eight pack, at "selected" pharmacies.

I use them multiple times & seem to take a few to several weeks to get too dirty for further use. I've tried washing them when grungy. They wash OK, but it takes a long time (days) for all the water to drain/dry out, & although they look clean, they've lost their spring & rebound capability. Photo to come.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks Beetle, I've ordered a set of Alpines Thumbs Up BTW I could only find Two plug sets, but that's ok, I don't have the Third Hole alien
Mal,  get your mate to smear some baby oil in his Listening holes first affraid

Last edited by waterbottle on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:55 pm

A very loud "Cure" concert did the damage for me early 80's.
I always use ear plugs.
The only mistake is storing them in a pocket with sweets. They don't taste good but man they last.

The only guy I ever heard of with 3 ears (not including Wagga folk) was Davy Crockett.
He had a left ear, a right ear, and a wild front ear. cheers
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

waterbottle wrote:
........... but that's ok, I don't have the Third Hole      alien

You perv! Smile
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Andy in NZ wrote:
The only guy I ever heard of with 3 ears (not including Wagga folk) was Davy Crockett.
He had a left ear, a right ear, and a wild front ear. cheers

Brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:13 pm

I used to go and see an unknown band from Sydney - these days they are known as ACDC. Also saw Stevie Wright, Hush and a variety of other bands and the best position was in front of the speakers.

With my hindsight as good as it is, maybe that wasn't the best listening position, just the loudest.

Hearing loss, you don't miss what you haven't had for decades, but I have found religion when it comes to ear plugs: Bilsom Q5/Q530 with a SNR of 28 dB; these do it for me but they. like Mal's need to be replaced every few weeks.
Back to top Go down
GNORTS
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:39 pm

It took me a while to get the hang of inserting them,  but when I learned how, they're quite effective - greatly reduced wind noise, but I can still hear what's going on around me.  Re-usable about 5 times, very cheap in boxes of 200 pairs.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:00 pm

Like most of us, I spent too long at the Marshall Stacks every other Friday night...
Pinlocks work for me. About AUD$35 on fleabay. You get FOUR ears worth.
Or there it's the Sony earphones with the iPod on max rabbit wind noise =gone post ride hearing =gone
Back to top Go down
WAKEY
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:46 am

Hi Guys, yeah tinnitus is a shit of a thing, ive got it from loud music, yeah ROSE TATT, Harleys and machinery, being a plant opperator for 30 years, all together left me with a bad case of tinnitus, i put up with it and just tryed to ignore it but some times when trying to sleep it just got that loud ide just get out of bed and watch telly for half the knight, then one day i thought ide give the old wives tale of peroxide a go, so i warmed some up on a spoon and put one ear on flat on the table and tipped it in the other, i didn't have much faith in it because ive been told once you have it its there for good but i did this about a month ago and i havn't herd the bells and whistles since so its well worth a try if you suffer tinnitus Good luck if you decide to give it a go.

Wakey.
Back to top Go down
http://sw57@bigpond.com
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:49 pm

I get free disposable foam plugs from work. I'm fine with them.
I have been wearing ear plugs damn near every time I ride since 1986 and my hearing is still Very Good.
So any of you young pups that think you are indestructible get over yourselves and start wearing ear plugs BEFORE you lose something you can't get back.

DM
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:22 pm

It took me a while to get the hang of inserting them,  but when I learned how, they're quite effective - greatly reduced wind noise, but I can still hear what's going on around me.  Re-usable about 5 times, very cheap in boxes of 200 pairs.[/quote]

cheers  Yep read the instructions makes all the difference ,roll them to a dull point, tilt your head to the side , pull on the top of your ear to open up the canal , and insert them so they are just flush ..hold and ....wait a few seconds for them to expand and you are done..

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DC950
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:59 am

most people, including me, don't wear foam plugs correctly.  They have to be deep, just like keener said:

If you think you're "used to the noise", you're actually just deaf on that frequency.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Don. Thinking of buying a GRiSO? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm surprised that I haven't got tittiness through riding with knackered open face lids for many years. The earplugs I use are made from a two part mixture that you put in your lug and mould to shape, the plugs are washable and they don't fall out on removal of helmet. Got the stuff from a military supplier's catalogue.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Good video - obviously I have been one of the 98% up until now - many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:30 pm

I might try those ones again - never worked in the past. OK, who's one of the 2%ers?
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:23 pm

WISH YOU GUYS WOULD TYPE HARDER SO I CAN HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYIN'
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ear plugs I have known   Today at 1:54 am

Back to top Go down

Ear plugs I have known