12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Heated riding gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm going to splurge on some heated gear for the colder months. I'm tired of bulking up and sweating like a bastard when stationary, and having to put my hands on the jugs to warm them at 150 100 km/h. I'm also looking to buy some all-weather pants as well.

I'm looking for suggestions for:

Heated gauntlets
Heated jacket liner
Heated pant liner
All-weather pants.

Local purchase is limited, so I'll be heading elsewhere to buy. Suggestions please!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:35 pm

I have Gerbings jacket and gloves. If I had my time again I'd buy a heated liner/vest rather than the jacket as it keeps the heat closer to you. After two years one of the gloves is a bit dicky but that is because it got caught on a door handle and the plu to the glove itself is a bit dodgy. I'm pretty sure if I swap plugs on that glove it will be good as gold again. With the gloves it is important to have them a snug fit. Mine are slightly too large, I'm actually thinking of buying the next size down for this winter.

One thing I am sure of is that with my arthritis if I didn't have them, and heated grips, winter riding would be a no-no no Way!

Pete
Back to top Go down
wyno
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:38 pm

I got the Gerbing gloves when I was living in Canberra. It was the only thing that let me keep riding when the temp was minus 8 c. Haven't really needed them since I moved back to Geelong as it hasn't got below zero. Good gloves though, but they could almost do with a rotary dial as they can put out too much heat sometimes.
Back to top Go down
mark111
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:00 pm

I have used a KEIS vest for a number of years and found it works well and even keeps my wife who hates the cold happy in the winter months when she rides with me.
Don't know if it is the best option as I haven't tried other brands but the one big advantage with it is that you can also buy a large or small battery pack which can be used when you don't have a 12volt power connection.

The small battery will give you about 3 hours and the larger one runs for around 5 hours.
They do take quite a while to recharge but this has not proven a problem for me.
Heated grips work well but for me usually look pretty ugly and because of my small mitts tend to have to big a diameter. My solution is a set of temporary wrap on ones from Oxford which I only use when necessary, this leaves me with my good Rizoma ones in place all of the time.
This works for me as i wouldn't have as many seriously cold days as you.

I have noticed FIVE and maybe some others offer battery powered gloves which might work ok as you don't have the pain in the arse of connecting wires, KEIS offer glove liners.
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Don't know if you have Firstgear available in Oz, but for my money it's tops here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:59 pm

I've got the Powerlet glove liners & jacket liner. Very happy. they plug into a take-off from the battery.
The glove liners alone require the Y harness - it's awkward at times as you may have to stop to turn them on or up. They also plug into the jacket - no separate harness then required - and the wireless controller has two heat knobs, one for the jacket & one for the gloves, so they can be adjusted in flight.
Even without the heat on, both jacket & glove liners are warm. The jacket liner is worn over a long sleeve T, and under your normal jacket. You don't need the liner that came with the jacket. The jacket is pretty elegant off the bike, it cuts the wind too, and has one large zipped pocket which is very useful. I don't go anywhere cold without them.

I've also got the Five gloves, but even with an extra set of batteries (LiPo - so problematic anyway) they haven't been a resounding success - one battery might last 3 hours, but the other only 1. They are supposed to last 5 to 6 hours on low, but I've not seen that yet - only one winter so far. As long as it's dry the gloves alone are pretty warm & comfortable, but the waterproofing is the usual myth. The LiPo batteries don't seem to be rechargeable from the bike's power, so if you end up with a pair, remember to pack the charger.

The wrap around heated grips I got from Aerostich are pretty good. Adjustable heat levels. The wire tends to fray where it joins to the grips, I got about 4 seasons in before this happened such that I couldn't fix it anymore. Pretty comfortable. easy enough to mount & demount.

The Oxford Sport Premium heated grips are easy to live with, turn themselves off if you forget to, and the heat level is adjustable on the fly. They don't heat the finger tips or the backs of the hands. Useful as a backup, in addition to the liners.

No problems powering all this stuff (and the phone and driving lights) on either of the V7's, the 1100 Sport or even the Enfields.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:02 am

I have a pair of the Venture glove liners, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which, like MalGs, wire into the battery, but these are either on or off. There is a short lead with a female plug end that runs from the battery, and I have it just poking out from the seat/tank junction.
-poke it out on the left hand side: I regularly forget to unplug before I step off, and it 'auto unplugs' happily.
Mid ride, if they get too hot, its easy to just pull the plug, as is the reverse.
The only down side is that if your current winter gloves are already tight...
I use them regularly down here in Tassie on my daily mayo producing run to skool, often down to -4c and my fingers are toasty. I have a slight Raynauds condition in my right hand, which is fun in winter, but these liners keep the blood flowing!
I have 4 pairs of "the worlds best winter m/c gloves" from different manufacturers, and none of them are any good below +3c!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Right, got my bonus in this months pay. Money was tagged to buy heated gear. Thursday I discovered a blown seal on right fork leg. Today Mrs Beetle says "honey..."

..anyhoo, result is I'll have to probably the absolute minimum. I was going to go all-out, jacket liner, pants liner, socks and glove liner. New all weather pants, new boots and helmet. Not much change from $2000. So, boots and helmet are off the list. Probably only be able to get glove liners and jacket liner now. Curse the fates! Looks like I'll still be wearing my thermals and trackies under my armoured jeans.
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Beetle, I ride with full leather and Smart wool top & bottom. I also wear a Streamliner vest. This setup keeps me warm to just above freezing. Though my hands are not quite warm with regular gloves I will have to work on some better equipment here. I'm not sure how cold it gets in your locale in the winter, but I felt very lucky to get in as much winter riding as I did this year. We now have snow and I won't be riding until it is gone!
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
Conor W
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:37 am

Beetle : I have the zarkie / venture heat kit, wired in jacket and glove liners. Huge change to my winter riding. If anything I would recommend paying for the version with the remote -the cable arrangements for the control unit can ge fiddly. I have changed control unit so it sticks out bottom of liner rather than through top but remote would be much better.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:58 am

GERBINGS is no longer the cream of the crop of heated gear. The name having been sold off to some outfit in Philadelphia and manufacturing has been moved off-shore...

Not to worry, a second generation of the Gerbing family has resumed manufacture of custom fitted, heated motorcycle apparel right here in Washington state. It's pricey, but top quality.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heated riding gear   Today at 9:44 pm

Back to top Go down

Heated riding gear
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum