GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A Boot Thread (of Sorts)

Go down 
+6
Steak
MrBob
bahamazoo
wyno
keenerkeen07
Bill Hagan
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Empty
PostSubject: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:46 am

Well, I suppose this is within the "Grisology" rubric.  Moreover I searched, and found no mention.  Apologies if I failed in that.

The parenthetical “of sorts” in the subject line is because I am casting a line, not a net.

In other words, I have, after quite a bit of reading, experiencing, realizing I am old and fragile, and — perhaps most critically — observing the impact (so to speak!) of “lesser” boots in my brother’s recent unfortunate visit to the pavement, pretty much settled on what appears to me to be the most protection available south of a competition-level MX or racing boot only the likes of 46 could afford.

I have in mind Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex in size fat, I mean 46 ... the number is the only thing I share with The Doctor!

But, before I pulled the rather expensive trigger, thought I’d run it by present company whom I knew I could count on for abuse … erm … I mean knowledgeable candor.

My primary question that I am hoping someone here knows is if that boot is compatible with shifting our Grisos, i.e., will the largish toe cap work with our shifters?  

Here, btw, are two reviews of the boot.  Many more and other chatter on, e.g., ADV.  Nothing, however, I saw addressed my “will it fit” (the risk, not my feet!) question.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Grazie as always.

Bill
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:28 am

I have a pair of Gaerne Explorers  similar to what you are looking at, they work with my GRiSO but adjustments were needed as to the linkage ...i always adjust it seems to the boot..
The Sidi you are considering look to be built very robust especially in the Ankle  more so then the Gaerne i have ...if there is good movement there they should work, i should mention the Gaerne were broke in well prior to the GRiSO and that would give them flexibility over new.
The GRiSO leg/peg location is more aggressive than a Adventure Bike you "may" find the Sidi to unforgiving but they look to be very nice indeed
..my 2 cents
Keener
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:21 pm

I didn't go the adventure route, but got Sidi Rain boots. I've had them almost since I got the GRiSO and I've found them to be quite good. They definitely are waterproof and they fit well, especially now that they're broken in. They were a bit expensive at $350 USD, but I thought it was money well spent.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Forma Adventure Boot.
mine are 49's.
I often wear them all day at skool too.
Water proof (tested by me) and super comfortable.
Awesome on the 1200, likely same on your Norge, on the GRiSO... Question
great write up on Andy Strapz (sorry about my inserting link skills Shocked )
Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:11 am

I changed to Gaerne oiled boots, size EU46, I found I had to extend my gear and footbrake controls to allow for the wider boot sole and toe cap. Guess it was also in combination of fitting 1" drop in KD rider foot pegs.
Was a cheap fix, at $5 per side. No problems now.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:46 am

I'm a SIDI believer. You're barking up the right tree!

I've worn the same pair (SIDI On Road Sympatex) for the last 10 years. They bear the scars of a 65 mph crash into an elk, but they are still sturdy and completely waterproof. More importantly, my feet and ankles are no worse for the wear.

When the need arises, I will not hesitate to replace them with top line SIDI boots once again.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Same here boys... I never bought anything else than Sidis all my life.
I ain't 'bout to change.
Back to top Go down
Josh.C
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Josh.C

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a pair of Sidi racing boots that I picked up on sale a few years ago. Great protection and I find them to be comfy all day, all year 'round. I like the locked-in feeling they give me on the pegs too.
Back to top Go down
Blue
Nibbio
Nibbio
Blue

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:32 am

I am going for the Sidi Canyon's - have used Sidi boots for along time.

Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Seriously look at the Dainese Fulcrum, fully waterproof with Goretex, look good and have all the protection.  They were pretty tight for the first few rides but then very comfortable and didn't look I was moto-xing.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:47 pm

I very much appreciate all the counsel.

Ended up with these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I do have some twinges of guilt about not "buying local," but the $200(+) savings is easing my conscience. Wink

The process was quick, easy, and error-free.  Had some helpful back-&-forth email exchanges with Isabella, then pulled the trigger.  

Ordered on 17 Feb; at my door on 24 Feb.

They are tall, and dwarf my well-worn (and crashed-in) Formas and Kathi's Alpinestars. But even a cursory inspection reveals significant and impressive protection.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

May have to look into lowered pegs, tho, on GRiSO and Norge to get my fat (but well-protected!) toes to shift and brake.  Even if so, I will put that in the "worth it" column.

Again, appreciate the advice I got here.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Boot Thread (of Sorts)   A Boot Thread (of Sorts) Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A Boot Thread (of Sorts)
Page 1 of 1