GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Empty
PostSubject: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:57 pm

So in addition to uploading a new map to the Diavolo Nero RT™ today, I also performed the first "full interval" service after the initial break-in service.  While my engine oil looked to be in pretty good shape without any debris on the drain plug, I was a bit surprised to see a collection of ferrous material on the gearbox and final drive drain plugs.  Additionally, the final drive oil looked a bit cloudier than I've ever seen before.

Gearbox drain plug:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Final drive drain plug:

Pretty murky oil draining out of the final drive.

Would any of you guys be concerned with this, or just chalk it up to normal break-in wear on a 6600 mile unit?  It's a bit concerning to me, but I'm not exactly what you'd call an ace mechanic...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:29 pm

oil looks pretty normal to me from the bevel, (you ran the first change 6600mi?) I did the first bevel at 70mi, and then at 600. then 3.5k and has been at~3.5-4k after that. The scrap looks like what i have seen on the Stelvio, its production has dropped to a tiny bit of grey textureless smear, in the rear drive and even less in the transmission. By 11kmi production of scrap was virtually none. (Stella)

The GRiSO has been almost exactly the same as far as scrap production, but I am only at 6k on it and it is making about what the Stelvio did at 6k. Guzzi Steve saw both my bikes at a few intervals and said it looked typical.

Your oil does not look overly water contaminated.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:31 pm

If it's any help, my 09 was about the same on all 3 units.
Maybe Pete can have a better reading at it...

Here's my engine residue after the break in period (700 miles):

I wouldn't sweat it yet.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Oh, this is on my new 2013 bike. Not the 09.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Uzidzit wrote:
oil looks pretty normal to me from the bevel, (you ran the first change 6600mi?)  I did the first bevel at 70mi, and then at 600.  then 3.5k and has been at~3.5-4k after that.  The scrap looks like what i have seen on the Stelvio,  its production has dropped to a tiny bit of grey textureless smear, in the rear drive and even less in the transmission.  By 11kmi production of scrap was virtually none. (Stella)

The GRiSO has been almost exactly the same as far as scrap production, but I am only at 6k on it and it is making about what the Stelvio did at 6k.  Guzzi Steve saw both my bikes at a few intervals and said it looked typical.  

Your oil does not look overly water contaminated.

This is the second service on the bike as per recommended service interval (well, about 350 miles late...) First service was at ~950 miles.

Thanks for your response, I feel better about it now. I had just never seen material collect like that over the 40K+ miles on my 1100s.

I really like the spring meadow fresh smell of the MOTUL full synth 10W60 oil. That and the cool, red color...  cherry Ooh la la!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Steak wrote:

I really like the spring meadow fresh smell of the MOTUL full synth 10W60 oil.  That and the cool, red color...   cherry Ooh la la!

Truly? Do ya now?
sounds like that might be a good idea for me. I am worried about looking at the price of that stuff.

Motorcycle specific oil I presume??
I was just wondering the other day if auto oil is good for the Guzzi since it doesn't run in the tranny.

DM
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 pm

DungeonMaster wrote:
Steak wrote:

I really like the spring meadow fresh smell of the MOTUL full synth 10W60 oil.  That and the cool, red color...   cherry Ooh la la!

Truly? Do ya now?
sounds like that might be a good idea for me. I am worried about looking at the price of that stuff.

Motorcycle specific oil I presume??
I was just wondering the other day if auto oil is good for the Guzzi since it doesn't run in the tranny.

DM

The MOTUL stuff is readily available online for a bit under $10 a litre. I buy it in bulk along with MOTUL gear oil and HiFLo oil filters, enough for 4 servicings. The best price I've found online is at Powersport Superstore.

$159.72 - 4 X 4L of MOTUL 7100 Full Synthetic 10W60 ($39.93 each)
$60.24 - 4 X 1L of MOTUL Gear 300 Full Synthetic 75W90 ($15.06 each)
$19.36 - 4 X HiFlo HF551 Oil Filters ($4.84 each)
$13.95 - UPS Ground Shipping to Seattle, WA
$253.27 - Total Cost for 4 Servicings or $63.32 every 6,250 miles

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:51 pm

Plugs look fine. There's usually a bit of crap from new boxes.

Oil is OK but water intrusion *Can* be an issue. Making a remote breather with Speedflow fittings is the best bet. I used to make a kit but I was informed it was too expensive so I didn't bother. The kit cost $200AU, a new Bevelbox costs ten times that. (Shrug.)

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...   Too much gunk in my clunk?   Dirty drain plug magnets... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Too much gunk in my clunk? Dirty drain plug magnets...
Page 1 of 1