GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

"Knobby Tires" on GRiSO

Go down 
+3
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
rboe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

"Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:59 pm

The new style is to put on blocky tires; I've seen someone do it on the GRiSO and thought; WTF?

But, at the Datil rally last year I was out and about on dirt roads doing some exploring and thinking at the time; I've got the really wrong tires for this shit! Since I had a blast doing it I'm kinda sort considering getting those tires for the GRiSO for the Datil rally.

Anyone here do it and how do they work in real life?

Not something I'd run full time but thinking it may be worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Like all things, doable. However, the front guard may need to have a larger clearance, and if you have a hugger, you probably won't after going off road. To be serious, handlebars may need to be further forward, or footpegs further rearward, depending on how long your arms are and how you stand on the pegs - you will need this to ride "properly"
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:56 pm

No hugger. No off roading, just "improved" dirt roads. I'd take the Honda XR650L (still might!) but the roads are nice enough to not need a dirt bike.

On the other hand, boy was she dirty when I got back on the pavement. Not sure she is clean enough yet. :p
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Dirt washes off
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Indeed.

I hate washing the bikes. sigh...
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:56 pm

Running knobby tires on a GRiSO is like asking Usain Bolt to run in hiking boots. How about something like this as a compromise:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I recall that some of the early SEs came from the factory wearing dual-sport-ish Pirellis and they didn't look too bad.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Knobbies is a bit of a misnomer. Blocky tires, like the ones you found. In any event, real knobbies, I agree with you. Assuming one could even find knobbies that would fit a GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:01 pm

Something on the order of this beast: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:12 pm

I think these may be the Pirellis that were stock on early SEs:

Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:15 pm

I have Scorpions on my 650L, but not quite that tread pattern.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:19 pm

Ooooh!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Here is the SE with the Scorpions:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Hmm, I think I like those better than the Metzlers I have now. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:41 pm

I like the look of the Scorpions on the GRiSO. The Metzlers that came on my 2011 were terrible. I hope they have improved since then.
Back to top Go down
tarsky68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tarsky68

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:57 pm

DO IT!  I have TKC 80's on mine and LOVE IT.  Yes, they fit in stock size.  No need to raise the front fender.  TKC80's are among the blockiest of the dual sport tires.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Now we're talking! Datil Rally is in August, plenty of time to get the budget ready. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tarsky68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tarsky68

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:15 pm

Sure thing. If you do it, be prepared to for people to want to stop and talk to you about it all the time, LOL. Gas station stops always take an extra 15 minutes for conversations and photos.
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:36 pm

I have TKC 80s on my adventure bike.
I'm constantly amazed at how much traction they give. Peg dragging is a breeze.
Dont think Id put them on my GRiSO though, different vibe for me.
Each to their own.
Back to top Go down
tarsky68
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tarsky68

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 am

Here's how I look at it...

WHEN (not if) the zombies come...there will be bodies, blood and debris everywhere. My TKC 80's will get the job done when the time comes. I mean, I also have an ADV bike and an Enduro...but what it the $h_t hits the fan while I'm out on the GRiSO. You must think ahead...

And looking badass the rest of the time is bonus Smile
Back to top Go down
rudolf35
Carlotto
Carlotto
rudolf35

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon May 09, 2016 10:16 am

Old thread but I have used 705's on a lot of ADV bikes. I discovered the 705 when they first came out and mounted them on my F650 BMW; did great on a run though the AR and OK TAT; also used them on my DR650 in the same AR and OK runs. Mounted 705's on a GS1150 and they served me very well in the belted version for the BMW.

A riding buddy of mine is using them on his Tiger 1200 and is on his third set; has over 58k miles on his Tigger!

So a set of 705's will do the GRiSO fine. They are a good 70/30 tire; think Tourance knockoff.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon May 09, 2016 10:36 am

Shinko tires, and they are cheap enough to toss on for a trip or two and go back to my Metzlers. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed May 11, 2016 1:12 pm

I've got the 705s on the Stelvio. It's a nice, long lasting tire for sure.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO   "Knobby Tires" on GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Knobby Tires" on GRiSO
Page 1 of 1