GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Lock cardan shaft?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:36 am

I did replace the swingarm bearings. Now puttings things back together. The cardan shaft goes onto the gearbox spline. Is it just loose on it, or is there a lock spring? In that spline that is coming out of the gearbox, there is a place where a lock spring could be. I can't find it in the partslist. Should there be one? What size?

Something like these snap rings:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:05 am

Paul, it's an internal circlip n the splines of the front yoke. You push the yoke on until it stops and then give it a whack to get it to slip over the end of the output shaft and engage in its groove.

I'll try and get some pics. There is no separate part # for the internal circlip.

Pete
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:29 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Paul, it's an internal circlip n the splines of the front yoke. You push the yoke on until it stops and then give it a whack to get it to slip over the end of the output shaft and engage in its groove.

I'll try and get some pics. There is no separate part # for the internal circlip.

Pete

Thanks pete.

I tried it, it slides on, you push it again and it moves 8mm more on it. so the thing must be there. And then it lock when you try to slide it off.  But in the grease I could's see it.

Swingarm bearing 50.000km. I suppose when serviced much earlier it could have been saved.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And to get it out with home tools. I went out to see if a better puller was available, but there is very little to choose from. Else then the +1000$ tools. But got it out nice. It's not a high tech job but takes a lot of time with taking all things off.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:00 am

There are reliefs for the puller jaws at 3 & 9 O'Clock from memory but because there is nothing to *Push* on you're a bit stuck! Your solution is ingenious but the puller jaws should of been in the reliefs.

Me? I cut the buggerance out of the race with a dremel tool and whacked the remains out from the other side with a bent marlinspike! Laughing best solution though is to grease the buggers properly early on. Do that and they should last forever!

Pete
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:22 am

The jaws are in the reliefs, that's the only way to get grip.
Back to top Go down
nev
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
nev

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:42 am

I've shrunk bearing cups in a wheel hub with a bead of weld, but I would be too
chicken to try it in that situation , that's a great tool invention Paul .
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:47 am

well you look around what you have it the shed and that's what you have to do it with. :-)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:54 am

pauldaytona wrote:
The jaws are in the reliefs, that's the only way to get grip.

Oh! OK, my mistake. Nifty solution for sure.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sat May 11, 2019 11:12 am

Guys,
I'm doing swing arm bearings for the first time and would like to pull the cardan (drive) shaft. I'm wondering if it's permissible to tap it aft with copper hammer or if is there some lock to release I don't see in the workshop manual. There is some play in the splines that I would like to grease.
What is the preferred grease for splines and bearings.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1Sat May 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Disregard folks, I found the Stelvio write up. The internal clip was the issue. (but y'all already knew that huh?)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lock cardan shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock cardan shaft?   Lock cardan shaft? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Lock cardan shaft?
Page 1 of 1