12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FreshEgg
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Thinking of taking next week off and heading down to the Vintage Races at Sonoma, CA. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It ain't the Island Classic like you lucky bastards enjoy in OZ, but what the hell.

Unfortunately, most of the best roads seem to run East to West [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] i am truly dreading the Interstate 5 drone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
JL
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Jin,

I've always enjoyed the 101 through the Redwoods and Highway 1 along the California coast. I have a friend from grad school who lives outside of Calistoga so we usually cut inland at Jenner and head east along the Russian River. I'm sure there are lots of other roads and there are plenty of California Ghettoites here who can suggest an awesome route for you to take. I'd be interested to hear their input as well.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Harry Paratestes
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Fuck this I'm up way too late   Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:55 am

Ok, Here's a not so bad way to go North to South - But you're gonna need a few extra days - and some ass-pirin Smile
Blast down I-5 to Salem
Take 22 East from Salem to Rickreall
Head South from Rickreall on 223 to Hwy 20
Turn East on 20 to Flynn/Philomath
Head Southwest on 34 from Flynn/ Philomath to Waldport
From Waldport take 101 South to Reedsport
From Reedsport head East on 38 to Elkton
Take 138 south fro Elkton to Tyee Rd. (Right where the road leaves the river and a sharp left hand bend- if you miss it you're back on I-5)  
Follow Tyee to Umqua and stop in for a coffee and a Danish.
Turn Right onto Hubbard Creek for a short time and find Melqua Rd on your left.
Take Melqua Rd to Melrose (Gas Here)
After filling up on gas and junk food in Melrose, follow Melrose Rd West to intersect with Colonial road and turn right on Flournoy Valley Rd to Coos Bay Wagon Road
Turn Left at the intersection and follow CBWG to Lookinglass Rd
Head South (right) on Lookinglass Rd and proceed to Hwy 42
Turn West on 42 and follow until You See the exit for Powers (HWY 542)
Head South on 542 to Powers (311 corners in 18 miles!!)
Gas is sometimes available in Powers - Sometimes not, be prepared. Also bring octane boost.
Heading south from Powers, 542 morphs into NF33: Follow this road to Agness.
NOTE: There is a short gravel section between Powers and Agness - Nothing to worry about, I've done it on a 1000 Ninja and I'm still here.... And the road from Agness to the coast is not to be missed.
No Gas in Agness, move along.
Enjoy this road. Whoever built it had motorcycles in mind. It will eventually spit you out at Gold Beach, Yay! (not)
From Gold Beach head south on 101 (yawn) all the way to 199 and head east. Don't forget to pick up cheap booze at All Star Liquor in Smith River.
OK back to the ride.
Head east on 199 towards O'Brien. Just north of O'Brien turn South on Waldo Road and keep riding until you hit Happy Camp and Hwy 96.
Gas, lodging, food - It's all here.
Head west again, this time on Hwy 96 towards next gas at Weitchpec.
From here continue on 96 to Willow Creek- Carful of decreasing radius turns here.
The Chevron in Willow Creek has an "Aztec Grill" so you can eat here and get gas... that's a joke...

Was that a cricket??

96 intersects with 299 at Willow Creek- Head East on 299 to Weaverville.
Follow 299/3 south until they diverge about 8 mile south just after crossing the Trinity River bridge, then turn Right onto Hwy3 proper and head west through Hayfork to Hwy 36.
Follow Hwy 36 West to Van Duzen Road and Turn South.
Follow Van Duzen Road to Zenia.
From Zenia, take Zenia Bluff Road to Alderpoint Road and on to Garberville. Food, gas, Lodging, crack, etc, etc...
Heading south on 101 from Garberville, turn onto California Hwy 1 at Leggett, then hold the fuck on.
Follow 1 to the coast. By now you are freezing your ass off, so look for Branscome road near DeHaven/Westport
Turn Left on Branscome Road (you'll drown if you turn right) and follow to Laytonville and 101
Back on 101, head south to Willits (horrible traffic here, but also gas, crack, and heroin) then turn west again on 20 and follow to Fort Bragg.
Don your best cold weather gear and let it rip south on Hwy 1 along the coast to Stewarts Point and find Stewart Point/Skaggs Springs Road.
Turn inland here on SP/SS road - This road is rough for a while, but it ends up in what amounts to a racetrack that follows a ridge inland towards Hwy 101 - Take this road to (jail most likely if you ride like me) Ferarri-Cerano Vineyards & Winery.

You are now in Sonoma County cheers

BTW: I didn't pull this off Google Maps - Well OK maybe I did - But I've ridden every one of those roads multiple times and trust me, you'll have fun.
Back to top Go down
FreshEgg
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 am

That's Awesome, Harry! Encyclopedic road knowledge, what.

Much appreciated.

JL
Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:31 am

Nice one, Harry. You even mention where to get yer booze and yer drugs!
Back to top Go down
Harry Paratestes
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:20 pm

No problem for the suggestions. I've been riding to NorCal from Vancouver every year after Labor Day for the last 5 years and the area between I-5 and the coast from Salem on down to Samfranksdisco are some of the best that I've ever had the pleasure to ride. But these roads are just the tip of the iceberg, there are plenty more to explore - But I think it's a hell of a lot more fun to discover a great road than to have somebody tell you where to ride, so I've left out some really good ones so you can find them on your own.
You may also choose to run the backroads from Ranier to Mt Hood before heading west to Salem. Got lost on this route, and I can't even remember the route exactly, but it was well worth it. (briiiing gaaas)
Also, I sort of remember something about bear hunting while camping northeast of Roseburg with a cell phone and a bottle of 12 yr old Macallan - neither of which survived the ordeal intact. I on the other hand did- although I had a nasty (and rather large) scrape on my back the next morning along with a few cuts and bruises, soaking wet clothes, and general sense that I had been hit by a truck. Since there was only myself and my riding partner camping here, I either found the bear or my buddy kicked the shit out of me for drinking his share of breakfast.
I've since given up bear hunting.
Back to top Go down
FreshEgg
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Whoah there, big boy!

Not that this diehard west coast liberal gives a fuck, but i thought i'd better intervene for the benefit of you reputation, Harry.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bear (defintion): In male gay culture, a bear is often a larger, hairier man who projects an image of rugged masculinity. Bears are one of many LGBT communities with events, codes, and a culture-specific identity. affraid

Best,
JL
Back to top Go down
Harry Paratestes
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 pm

Yep... That would have left a mark. Shocked
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:51 pm

My eyes! Eeeeeek! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Cereal KLR
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:24 pm

The ahrma folks put on a good time, lots of unique and classic racers. Tank shift Indian and Harley, dozens of buzzing small bore Hondas along with Norton /G50 / TZ vintage stuff.

My buddy runs the Thruxton Cup series so I will be there Friday to assist, his number is 13X if you come by and introduce yourself. The local AFM races are also this weekend there so lots of racing!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Just burn the 5 down to Redding then take the 299 or the 36 west to 101 south
Keep on the 101 until you can get on the 1 south and stay on that all the way down to the 12 and take that east towards Sears Pt.

Hwy 1 is BLISS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma   Today at 1:54 am

Back to top Go down

Best North-South Roads Seattle to Sonoma
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: