12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
supercoyote
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Anyone with experience with the GPR's: what will my GRiSO like more, the Deep Tone or the Furore Nero? I wish they could just stick their exhausts on a graph of "pissing off the neighbours" vs "sounding like a rusted out 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier"
Back to top Go down
austin_22
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 pm

2013 GRiSO with GPR can.
Back to top Go down
jexmatex
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:13 am

Nice music, bad ass GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:42 am

Staintune have the GRiSO muffler on sale at the moment - the discount is not much, but if you were thinking about it ......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:10 am

supercoyote wrote:
Anyone with experience with the GPR's: what will my GRiSO like more, the Deep Tone or the Furore Nero? I wish they could just stick their exhausts on a graph of "pissing off the neighbours" vs "sounding like a rusted out 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier"
SC, its all a bit of personal taste really. If your mature enough to realise that more noise doesn't equal more performance, Buy a pipe that Beetle has a proven map for, you won't regret it. Unless your riding on the limit every day, a couple of " Claimed horsepower increase " is F - all in the big scheme of things.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:46 am

MalG wrote:
Staintune have the GRiSO muffler on sale at the moment - the discount is not much, but if you were thinking about it ......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They can't even spell GRiSO correctly. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:19 am

Staintune stuff is beautifully made and their earlier pipes for the Tonti's and V11 series were wonderful.

Unfortunately their offerings for any of the CARC bikes are pitiful. Just a generic 'Can' that has been adapted to fit. It doesn't even sound good, just slightly 'Tinny' and while I'm sure you could build a map that would work well enough it goes against everything Mark has found out about the pipe harmonics of the 8V. It's short, overly voluminous and has a weird looking dB killer, (If installed.).

I'd rather stick a burning broom handle up my arse than put one on my GRiSO.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:21 am

funny you say that Pete, some years ago I was walking with my wife on some sandy tracks near the beach. Be damned - this bloke jumps out of the bushes buck naked and with a stick up his arse pretending he was a kangaroo. Wasn't you was it?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:25 am

Was the stick on fire? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:29 am

no so obviously not you.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:33 am

Hoist on your own petard! Check your facts! Razz
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:36 pm

I bought a staintune for the1100 nearly 10 years ago. It did fuck all for the bike at the time so I made my own and hung the staitune in the rafter of my shed. With 2 pipes away for mapping I got the shits with the stock can and whacked the staintune on sans dbkiller. It went alright and sounded alright but then it cracked aft of the hanger bracket. Back to the rafters and back to the fucken stock bazooka...
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Staintune stuff is beautifully made and their earlier pipes for the Tonti's and V11 series were wonderful.

Unfortunately their offerings for any of the CARC bikes are pitiful. Just a generic 'Can' that has been adapted to fit. It doesn't even sound good, just slightly 'Tinny' and while I'm sure you could build a map that would work well enough it goes against everything Mark has found out about the pipe harmonics of the 8V. It's short, overly voluminous and has a weird looking dB killer, (If installed.).

I'd rather stick a burning broom handle up my arse than put one on my GRiSO.

Pete
yep my used 1100 came with one as well as the stocker , it sounded like flatulence and I wouldn't know if it improved performance because I had nothing to compare it to at the time .
the SS Agostini  I installed later "DB killer in" sounds much better and the bike runs better all over especially in the midrange ..
The Ago looks better as well..i think
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:03 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Hoist on your own petard! Check your facts! Razz
Shakespeare, eat your heart out, ahhh the education I get here Thumbs Up cheers
Back to top Go down
austin_22
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:04 pm

So, I put on the GPR can that was "Tuned" for my 8V 1200SE. Since then, I feel (smell and hear) that it is running lean. I have some popping on deceleration and a little bit of unsteadyness (word??). Anyway, it's really not bad, just different, but did some research. I found an article written by Pete from Oz (could be the same Pete from Oz on this forum) and am now looking to ensure I have the latest Map loaded and am getting enough air flow. I do have the DB killer in and this pipe is a full exhaust can, not a short pipe. Anyway, I am not skilled in this area and will ask my local MG mech to have a look, but advise would be gladly taken. Here's Pete's article, great read and well worth the time. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Was anything else done other than the addition of this 'tuned' pipe?

First thing you should do is pull the main fuses or disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to reset the trims. You should notice an immediate improvement.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:21 am

austin_22 wrote:
So, I put on the GPR can that was "Tuned" for my 8V 1200SE. Since then, I feel (smell and hear) that it is running lean. I have some popping on deceleration and a little bit of unsteadyness (word??). Anyway, it's really not bad, just different, but did some research. I found an article written by Pete from Oz (could be the same Pete from Oz on this forum) and am now looking to ensure I have the latest Map loaded and am getting enough air flow. I do have the DB killer in and this pipe is a full exhaust can, not a short pipe. Anyway, I am not skilled in this area and will ask my local MG mech to have a look, but advise would be gladly taken. Here's Pete's article, great read and well worth the time. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

I have the same can in stainless look...
With the same set up as yours, mine was melting the turn signal lens so check it carefully.
I ended up shortening and re-axed the connecting pipe that comes in the kit so now the can pretty much sits where the OEM muffler was (lower) and that allows me to run my GIVI hard bags. Thumbs Up
I made a thread about that on these boards.

But expect your DB killer to break apart...mine did and I had to make one with what was left from the original.
Said DB is made in a two piece deal, and that's the problem...the end piece you see is made of aluminum and the other piece inside, the tube with all the holes in it is metal and clamped to the aluminum part. That's a mistake, it will separate. Damn Italians!!
I have pictures of my correction for you if you want...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:04 am

Can't get the link to Greg's page to open but I'd guess the article was by me. How old is it? A lot of water may of flowed under the bridge since I wrote it.

I have no experience with the GPR but any company they thinks that press fitting a steel component into an aluminium one and then fitting it into an other component that is going to regularly heat cycle to a fairly high temperature and down to ambient again and not have problems has to be regarded with a degree of suspicion as to their knowledge and R&D skills.......

Pete
Back to top Go down
austin_22
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Pete, No doubt it was you. Here is the title... "Technical : The complex stuff - exciting but heavy reading, take your time. How to get the best from your stock-ish 8V GRiSO Author: Pete Roper Added: Feb 18, 2010"

And, no doubt your right about the damn aluminium and steel situation, but then, I didn't know that before hand, so my bust. (notice I spelled Aluminium wrong just for you, ha).

Beetle, I will try the power reset tomorrow. I have no idea why that would work, but hey, I'm game.

Grisonut, Thanks, yes, send me the pics if you don't mind. And yes, I saw the thread about how close my pipe is to the turn signal. So far it hasn't been too hot, but it is winter here, so we'll see. I am going to tweak it a bit this weekend and see how much lower I can get it. Also, I have no idea how to determine my current map, so will visit the dealer in a week or so.

Thanks all. No matter, riding this thing is a blast. I've put more miles on this bike in the last 18 months than any other bike I've ever owned. Next topic of convo is the damn suspension rebound.

Cheers, and thanks again.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:21 pm

austin_22 wrote:

Beetle, I will try the power reset tomorrow. I have no idea why that would work, but hey, I'm game.

If you have a stock map, the ECU trims the fuel below 4000 RPM. It takes a long time to get to a point where it stops trimming. If you change the exhaust, the AFR is affected, and therefore the performance, because the trims suit the previous pipe. So the ECU starts trimming again. Removing the power from the ECU resets the trims back to zero, so you have a better baseline. Clear as mud?
Back to top Go down
austin_22
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Mud. Clear now. Thanks. I shall do this and then go for a vigorous ride through my local twisties to check it out. Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
austin_22
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Fiddled with the fitment, reset the ECU. Already notice the difference after just 15 miles. Still need to check the map and sort out the DB killer situation. Thanks to all for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:43 pm

austin_22 wrote:

.......Grisonut, Thanks, yes, send me the pics if you don't mind...

Well here...only have two pictures but you can see the problem.
I had to make the end piece out of metal (like it should be in the first place) with 2 different washers to get the correct thickness.
I reused the original pierced tube, weld it to my customized flange made from washers on one end (the inside) and welded a short tube with correct diameter on the exit end.
All good now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On the picture above, you can see the original GPR aluminum flange piece (the one with the screwdriver going through it) where it's all shewed up from collapsing...I have no idea what it looks like in its original shape where they clamp together.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
austin_22
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Grisonut, thanks. So how long did it take for the Aluminium parts to fail? Thinking I should take it apart now before it fails and copy it so that I'm ready for the inevitable. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....   Today at 3:43 am

Back to top Go down

The comprehensive GRiSO exhaust thread....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: